PDA

View Full Version : Round ball load in 8mm.

Cheshire Dave
03-29-2018, 06:12 PM
I'm waiting on a mold I ordered from Accurate Molds and just had to shoot something out of the new to me gun I got. It's a 1933 JP Sauer Drilling with a 8x57 JR rifle barrel. I slugged the barrel and took a chamber cast to order my mold and found out the groove diameter is .319. I don't have any molds closer to that then .315 for my .32 revolver. I did have 50 or so .318 buckshot salvaged from some old buckshot loads that got wet. I lubed with liquid lube last night and loaded some today with 3 grains of 700X. This load worked well for my 9.3x74 using .375 RBs so I figured it was a good place to start. The results are below. When I went to 4 grains 700X they started to throw fliers. Opened up to over 4" at the same 50 foot distance. The Drilling has a set trigger and I know it surprised me a few times. I only have 20 cases so far and they went fast.
I think round ball loads are a great way to start someone out with a big rifle. I was shooting some heavy cast loads with the 280 grain NOE 9.3 boolit in my 9.3x74 and slipped a round ball in while a buddy wasn't looking and handed him the rifle. Should have seen his face when the gun just kinda went pop. That same 3 gr load of 700x hits right to the same point as the heavy cast loads. I've also had fun with round balls in the 45-70.
So if you get bored or have a kid that wants to shoot your big boomer try out some round ball loads.....

nagantguy
03-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Nice looking drilling, and that was a good place to start thank you for the write up, we've spent many fun afternoon shooting rb's out of a 35 Remington. Low noise and almost no recoil and surprisingly accurate at 50-70'feet.

Cheshire Dave
03-30-2018, 07:41 AM
Thanks I'm glad you liked it. Can't wait to get my new mold from Accurate molds.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

sharps4590
03-30-2018, 07:51 AM
I am a sucker for nice drillings and that one definitely qualifies!!!! Excellent rifle cartridge as well. I've used RB's in other rifles but never thought to try one in any of my drillings. Might have to give that some consideration. Good write up!!!

Cheshire Dave
03-30-2018, 11:26 AM
I lapped a little ding out on the muzzle and these groups give me hope that I did it right.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

mpkunz
03-30-2018, 02:14 PM
FWIW - http://www3.telus.net/gamegetter/ I have his 8mm unit. It was such a cool idea I made a couple for 7.62x54R. I have a Lee 90 grain mould for 30 cal https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl314-90-swc.html . These are so cool. I shoot them suppressed from a junker Mosin and they have enough snot to rip through the sheet metal in my mailbox (wife not pleased at ALL).