PDA

View Full Version : Luber question

guntechholsters
03-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Hello, I have always pan lubed and so I have never used a Luber, however I am considering getting one. I saw a product online call day pocket Lubber, perhaps I'm not understanding the concept of how it puts the lube on the bullet. To me it seems like a piece of metal with a circle drilled in it of the appropriate diameter and somehow it pushes the lube into the groove?
That aside has anyone made a homemade Luber that would perhaps be easier than using the pan method? I'm trying to stay as cost-efficient as possible but still save a little bit of time versus the pan method, I do have a Lee Sizer which I will be using to put the gas checks on to them, is there a way I could incorporate a method of lubing the bullet while I do that, perhaps pushing it through a piece of lube?. Thank you for your time

CraigOK
03-29-2018, 05:43 PM
Would powder coat work for your application?

ShooterAZ
03-29-2018, 05:57 PM
I think I've seen those "pocket lubers", and I believe that the ones I saw were intended for lubing large black powder conicals. I think that it would be a rather tedious method of lubing. I have pushed finger lubed boolits through a Lee push through sizer before. It's a messy affair, but it will work. I really don't think either of these methods you mention is going to save you time over pan lubing though...

guntechholsters
03-29-2018, 06:45 PM
Powder coat work for 44 mag lever gun?

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-29-2018, 11:08 PM
PatMarlin (a vendor here) sells a small pocket lube tool, just google "POCKETLuberBP" it'll be the first result.
His website says the only sizes in stock are .431 and .460, you don't mention what application you need?

I think I've seen those "pocket lubers", and I believe that the ones I saw were intended for lubing large black powder conicals. I think that it would be a rather tedious method of lubing. I have pushed finger lubed boolits through a Lee push through sizer before. It's a messy affair, but it will work. I really don't think either of these methods you mention is going to save you time over pan lubing though...
Some Lubes are more conducive to finger lubing. The SL68B lube that I use, is one such lube.

Brad Cayton
03-30-2018, 06:29 AM
Powder coat work for 44 mag lever gun?

Yes. PC works very well in mine

lar45
03-30-2018, 08:26 AM
Looks like there is only 45 rifle and 44 calibers left, so it might be a good idea to jump on it while you can.
Looks like a pretty cool tool.

https://www.patmarlins.com/product/pocketluberbp/

gwpercle
03-30-2018, 06:55 PM
Guntech,
one of the best things I ever did was buy a lube-sizer, a Lyman 450 but this was pre high-tech coatings days, I had gone the pan lube , tumble and dip methods and they all were tedious and the bullets still need to be sized.
A lube-sizer does this...with one cycle of the handle , down then up, the gas check gets seated (if needed) the boolit gets sized and it gets lubricated ! When it comes out....it's done, lube in the groove and ready to be loaded...it just doen't get any faster, cleaner or easier than this....it doesn't !
If you are heavy handed on the lube pressure handle you may have to wipe the base off...I lay a rag across my thigh and wipe them before setting in my boolit box...no big deal at all.
Best money I ever spent.....get one , you will like it!
Gary

georgerkahn
03-30-2018, 07:18 PM
I cannot echo gwpercle's post enough! He said it "right", and no doubt better than I could have... I, too, agree vis the Lyman 450. Oft' times, on this site, they are available at more than bargain prices, too. Good luck!
geo

Saturday morn edit: I checked S&S, and lo and behold -- there's a great sounding 450 being purveyed at a most reasonable price: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?357931-FS-Lyman-450
geo

guntechholsters
04-01-2018, 12:41 AM
Sorry I should habe specified, .430
It will be for my marlin 1894 and redhawk.

guntechholsters
04-01-2018, 12:42 AM
Georger, thank you for letting me know, however I am new to the group and don't think I can buy from private sellers until I hit 30 posts, up to 23 I think, as of now.lol

zymguy
04-01-2018, 01:15 AM
Georger, thank you for letting me know, however I am new to the group and don't think I can buy from private sellers until I hit 30 posts, up to 23 I think, as of now.lol

its my understanding the limit is to post in the swap and sell, i believe you may pm the seller and itd be within the rules. I trust a Mod or more versed member will be around shortly to corect me if im wrong

JMax
04-01-2018, 03:43 PM
I now have 4 lubers, an old Lyman 45, a LAM 1 and two LAM 2s, each setup for different bullets/diameter after trying liquid lube and then having to size. All are mounted on PatMarlin DOCKRocker plates so they only occupy only one bench position. Each is mounted on their own Lyman heater, plug it in 15 minutes later I am lubing bullets. Following my old MSgt advice of keeping it simple.

RED BEAR
04-16-2018, 07:57 PM
A luber sized was the best thing I got. Never tried a Lyman so can't say but the customer service i got from rcbs made my mind up. You can't go wrong with big green.

D Crockett
04-16-2018, 08:25 PM
I have pan lubed what a mess I have tumble lubed what a mess then I got a lube sizer best thing I could of done in my book D Crockett

fivefang
04-16-2018, 08:46 PM
Hi, I have & use a Saeco Lub/sizer, but for some rifles which require a ?odd? diam. bullet, I dip-lube then using a spent casing with case neckexpanded to just over bullet diam.(.001") to which I JB welded a wood Doughnut at the base of the casing for my 84 yr. old knuckles,it then is used as a cookie-cutter with the case mouth slightly belled, Fivefang