PDA

View Full Version : Mag Spark Nipple

Contenderman
03-29-2018, 02:57 PM
I am considering putting one of these Mag Spark Nipples on my T/C New Englander replacing the standard #11 nipple, Any opinons on good ,bad, ugly etc and is it worth it to use the 209 primers

curator
03-29-2018, 04:10 PM
Contenderman: The MagSpark nipple makes it easier to light Pyrocr@p and other black powder substitutes particularly in cold weather. They are quite popular in Maine and Alaska for this reason. Here in Florida they aren't needed. There is some loss of accuracy caused by the much stronger primer blast when used in a sidelock rifle like your New Englander. With a tightly patched round ball, this may be negligible but with a slide-fit conical or Maxi-ball it can be considerable. When percussion caps were almost impossible to get, I bought a couple of MagSpark nipples and used them on several of my rifles noticing slightly degraded accuracy in all of them.

One of the members of my gun club has a MagSpark equipped T/C .50 caliber Hawken that he loads with 2 Triple seven pellets and plastic sabot w/250 grain .45 caliber pistol bullet.
I can detect a sight hang-fire when he shoots. He thinks that is normal. He is barely able to hit the berm and is quite happy when a couple of his shots actually hits his target. He claims the MagSpark solved his misfire problem using pellets--I guess it did. The other issues may be him and not related to MagSpark at all. I am in Bonita Springs--where do your shoot? PM me to chat.

Edward
03-29-2018, 05:49 PM
I am considering putting one of these Mag Spark Nipples on my T/C New Englander replacing the standard #11 nipple, Any opinons on good ,bad, ugly etc and is it worth it to use the 209 primers Glad you asked ,last count I have 13 in use !!! 1st my underhammer no longer burns my arm /2 for hunting can"t be beat (water proof ) after taping muzzle shut / #3 cheap to use #4 everybody has 209 primers ,percussion caps not so much and expensive #5 reliable and as long as you didn"t dryball it will lite the fire :bigsmyl2: Warren Custom Outdoors Phone 330-872-1475 and no I am just a happy customer /broke one and replaced in 4 days no charge

Fly
03-29-2018, 06:18 PM
I have one on my Lyman GPH. Little hassle unscrewing the cap but not a big deal.

Fly

bob208
03-29-2018, 06:22 PM
are you using real black powder? are you having problems now? if it is not broken don't fix it.i have been shooting b-p for over 30 years. never had a problem getting a gun to fire.

mooman76
03-29-2018, 07:06 PM
I've never had a problem either, even with the substitute powders. Always goes off when I do my part. There are other things you can do to help water proof your cap.

indian joe
03-29-2018, 07:47 PM
I have one on my Lyman GPH. Little hassle unscrewing the cap but not a big deal.

Fly

Fly
Is the mag spark a viable option for a bloke that has 20,000 shotgun primers he dont know what to do with?

OverMax
03-30-2018, 12:53 AM
I put em on my big bore calibers. 54s & 58. Ideal for such powerful side locks. It seems like when used on smaller calibers like 45 and smaller. 209 nipple ignitions are a bit over kill. Especially so when firing up the hottest 209 primers marketed.

Contenderman
03-30-2018, 05:55 AM
I must confess, I was going to try it just to try it. Curiosity more then anything. I do have an excess of 209 primers so I usually give them away to a friend who shoots an inline.