PDA

View Full Version : Screws To Nowhere...

BCB
03-28-2018, 06:33 PM
I've been shooting this Model 1892 Marlin (32 Long Colt) for a good many years...

I generally take the side plate off of the receiver and clean it after a hundred rounds...

Today I noticed the 3 screws on top of the receiver and I looked inside the action and they screw into NOTHING...

I wonder what their purpose actually is? Some type of optic sights from a century ago?...

Thanks...BCB

Uncle Grinch
03-28-2018, 06:51 PM
How about plug screws for various optics?

BCB
03-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Maybe...

I was thinking optics, but maybe peep sights?...

BCB

Hick
03-28-2018, 07:11 PM
Looks like the screw holes on the top of my Henry. Skinner makes a nice peep sight for that-- I don't know if he makes one for the Marlin as well, but I wouldn't be surprised.

country gent
03-28-2018, 07:12 PM
2 appear to be on centerline the inside one is slightly off center line. Not sure if for a sight or some other item the 2 on centerline may be for a scope or some sort of receiver sight. Another small note here is while you don't see the holes thru on the inside not all tapped holes are thru holes. They could also have been holes used in the manufacturering process and tapped and plugged to keep dirt out after assembly.

Gewehr-Guy
03-28-2018, 07:13 PM
It is factory drilled for the Marlin Combination Receiver Sight,also known as the L.L. Hepburn sight. All Models 1893, 94 , and 95 made after August 1903, were drilled for this sight. This info came from Nick Stroebel's wonderful book "Old Gunsights".

BCB
03-28-2018, 07:34 PM
2 appear to be on centerline the inside one is slightly off center line. Not sure if for a sight or some other item the 2 on centerline may be for a scope or some sort of receiver sight. Another small note here is while you don't see the holes thru on the inside not all tapped holes are thru holes. They could also have been holes used in the manufacturering process and tapped and plugged to keep dirt out after assembly.

You are correct about 2 being on center line and one being off center...

BCB

BCB
03-28-2018, 07:34 PM
It is factory drilled for the Marlin Combination Receiver Sight,also known as the L.L. Hepburn sight. All Models 1893, 94 , and 95 made after August 1903, were drilled for this sight. This info came from Nick Stroebel's wonderful book "Old Gunsights".

I wonder if one of these could be found or if someone makes and "after market" version?...

BCB

CamoWhamo
03-29-2018, 09:35 AM
I wonder if one of these could be found or if someone makes and "after market" version?...

BCB

http://www.skinnersights.com/hepburn_28.html

2152hq
03-29-2018, 11:15 AM
Two of the holes are indeed for the Hepburn rear sight. The top of the recv'r was changed in '03/04 from a round top to the flat top to accomodate the sight. The 'Marlin Safety' marking was also elliminated as it would have been mostly obscured by the 2 extra holes and plug screws. Completely if the sight was installed.
The third screw is for the small flat spring inside on the roof of the rec'vr. Called the cartridge guide spring, it does just that, helps guide the next up loaded round into the chamber by slightly deflecting the bullet nose. It bends out of the way as the bolt closes.
A similar type spring is used on the 39 lever and even on the Model 80 .22 bolt action though the latter is anchored from the opposite direction.

I'm not sure the Model 92 used the cartridge guide spring from the begining of production in 1895. At least from the time of the Flat Top frame & Hepburn sight mod in '03/04 time period on both the 22 and 32's and thru the end on the 22cal rifles. (1915)

BCB
03-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Glad I asked the question about the screws. I got some good information about the little '92 that I didn't know anything about...

I did contact Skinner via e-mail concerning the Hepburn sight. We shall see what he might say about it...

I wonder if using one of these style sights would make it easier to shoot with a bit better accuracy than the buckhorn type. The old eyes are failing me as can be somewhat expected. The only experience I have with the aperture sights is during Uncle Sam days. Then my eyes were good and I really don't remember if the peep style was better or not...

Think I would gain a better sighting situation with the Hepburn?...

Thanks...BCB

Wayne Smith
03-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Over a buckhorn - absolutely. The eye automatically centers in the hole of the receiver sight.

KCSO
03-30-2018, 01:33 PM
One of those holes is the cartridge guide a little flat piece that guides the shell into the chamber the other two are for an old Marlin rear sight.

Green Frog
03-30-2018, 02:16 PM
Glad I asked the question about the screws. I got some good information about the little '92 that I didn't know anything about...

I did contact Skinner via e-mail concerning the Hepburn sight. We shall see what he might say about it...

I wonder if using one of these style sights would make it easier to shoot with a bit better accuracy than the buckhorn type. The old eyes are failing me as can be somewhat expected. The only experience I have with the aperture sights is during Uncle Sam days. Then my eyes were good and I really don't remember if the peep style was better or not...

Think I would gain a better sighting situation with the Hepburn?...

Thanks...BCB

IMHO, anything at all is an improvement over the buckhorn sight! Those things are an absolute abomination, and why they lasted as long as they did is anybody's guess. Hepburn was a target shooter himself, and if he designed it, you can bet it will be good to shoot with. BTW, did you get that rifle with both firing pins? Mine had the second under the butt plate so you could switch back and forth between rim fire and center fire. The 32 Colt Longs had just gotten a little rare and expensive when I owned mine back in the 1970s, and rimfire was in the highly collectible state. I wish I had kept that old rifle, but foolishly let it go for something I thought I needed worse! :( Mine had a 26" (IIRC) octagon barrel and was nearly perfect except for a couple of dime sized spots that had apparently had blood dripped on them and were pitted significantly. The bore was about a 9 1/2.

Froggie

Walter Laich
03-30-2018, 03:40 PM
IMHO, anything at all is an improvement over the buckhorn sight! Froggie

They add to the 'fun' of cowboy action shooting

course when your targets are 15 yards and 16x16" it's hard to miss them (but not impossible)

BCB
03-30-2018, 04:07 PM
IMHO, anything at all is an improvement over the buckhorn sight! Those things are an absolute abomination, and why they lasted as long as they did is anybody's guess. Hepburn was a target shooter himself, and if he designed it, you can bet it will be good to shoot with. BTW, did you get that rifle with both firing pins? Mine had the second under the butt plate so you could switch back and forth between rim fire and center fire. The 32 Colt Longs had just gotten a little rare and expensive when I owned mine back in the 1970s, and rimfire was in the highly collectible state. I wish I had kept that old rifle, but foolishly let it go for something I thought I needed worse! :( Mine had a 26" (IIRC) octagon barrel and was nearly perfect except for a couple of dime sized spots that had apparently had blood dripped on them and were pitted significantly. The bore was about a 9 1/2.

Froggie

Mine does not have the rimfire firing pin. I checked into one of those many years ago when I got the rifle and I guess I figured I really wouldn't need it. I don't remember if you could still purchase them or whether it had to be fabricated. Still, it would be nice to have both--Under the butt plate is a nice thought...

I did have to replace the ejector spring (?) if I remember correctly. Don't even know where it came from...

Mine is a 24" octagon barrel and is a nice shooter. Just fun to shoot and surprisingly accurate...

I just cast about 300 N.E.I. 313-95-Heel boolits yesterday. 25 of them I cast from pure lead and hollow pointed a couple of them and am looking forward to shooting them into some wet books. Took time to do the hollow pointing, but it will be fun to see what they do-Retirement has its advantages...

Good-luck...BCB

DCM
04-06-2018, 09:22 PM
You will likely want to try different size apertures. I find that larger ones work better in low light conditions for me, a much younger friend does well with much smaller ones than I find useful. Everyone's eyes are different.

country gent
04-06-2018, 09:59 PM
One of the benefits of the receiver sights is the added sight radious they provide on a given rifle. This makes sight alighnment easier and a little less critical in use.

BCB
04-07-2018, 08:07 AM
I e-mailed Skinner about the sights for my '92 and I didn't get a reply...

I read the FAQ and tried to look at the entire site and I didn't see anything about sights for my particular Marlin...

He hasn't replied yet and it seems he might not...

Oh well...

Thanks...BCB

BCB
06-03-2018, 12:22 PM
This is a question about the same little Marlin ’92 but a different subject than my 1st post…

I am including a pic, although not the best in the world…

If you look closely, you will see a slotted screw head on the right side of the rear sight…

What might that be for?...

This little 32 Long Colt is an interesting critter. Quite accurate and fun to shoot...

Thanks…BCB

quack1
06-03-2018, 09:46 PM
The center part, with the notch, should slide up and down. To fine-adjust the sight in addition to the coarser steps on the elevator. The screw secures it.

BCB
06-04-2018, 08:23 AM
The center part, with the notch, should slide up and down. To fine-adjust the sight in addition to the coarser steps on the elevator. The screw secures it.

Thanks...

It is shooting about 1.5" high at 25 yards and I do have the rear sight as low as I can get in on the ramp--the sight is touching the barrel...

Maybe I will mess with the screw on the sight and see if I can fine tune it a bit. But, fine turning 1.5" at 25 yards might be out of the range of the screw adjustment...

We shall see...

Thanks again...BCB

quack1
06-05-2018, 07:32 AM
Yeah, 1.5" is probably too much. You can always file the notch in the rear sight deeper, or get a taller front sight. If you don't want to alter the original rear sight by filing, maybe make a replacement for the center piece and keep filing the notch until it hits where you want.

KCSO
06-05-2018, 10:24 AM
That lets the sight blade slide up and down.

BCB
06-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Yeah, 1.5" is probably too much. You can always file the notch in the rear sight deeper, or get a taller front sight. If you don't want to alter the original rear sight by filing, maybe make a replacement for the center piece and keep filing the notch until it hits where you want.

I figured "fine tuning" meant less than 1.5" at 25 yards...

I guess I will just hold low and let 'er go. At least I will be able to see the entire target...

I would rather keep it a stocker and not change or file sights. But, if you notice in my original post, someone had "45 Long Colt" engraved in the barrel in front of the reciever. I don't think that was done at the factory? It is a nice job though...

Thanks...BCB