PDA

View Full Version : Pound Cast Slug Mold

Omega
03-27-2018, 06:17 PM
Anyone ever make a mold for slugs to use in a pound cast? I figured a taper at the top and bottom, to fit into the rifling and case, with a .01 difference between caliber and slug and a body of say an inch or more. A 6 cavity mold can have one cavity per caliber. I know many just use a boolit, or drill out a piece of hardwood to make theirs but it would be convenient to just have a mold for this, think there would be enough interest in something like this? Looking on Lee's site, if there were at least 30 molds ordered (to wave tooling fee of $175) then it would be $53 + S&H, not sure if any other mold maker would do them cheaper, since its a simple mold, or at least I would think so. I guess if nothing else I can buy a blank and do a DIY one, but I think that would just be a straight slug with no taper then as I have no mill or lathe, but I could make that work.

Grmps
03-27-2018, 08:14 PM
You can drill a hole the desired size/depth between 2 pieces of hardwood, fill with pure lead, use a knife and carve the base and tip close to the desired shapes. (I'm cheap :) )

Omega
03-28-2018, 01:08 AM
You can drill a hole the desired size/depth between 2 pieces of hardwood, fill with pure lead, use a knife and carve the base and tip close to the desired shapes. (I'm cheap :) )

Yes, seen that..I would just stick it into a pencil sharpener if I were you though, it tapers evenly. If I go the DIY route I'll just buy a blank mold from Lee and drill a straight hole in each size I want and "sharpen " the ends.