PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Win 231 and LNL Measure

omgb
03-26-2018, 10:53 PM
I started to load some 45 ACP and discovered that my measure would not return to it's starting position reliably with Win 231. I dumped the measure many many times and it all worked smoothly but just two rounds in with powder and the measure would not return to battery. I added a second return spring and it worked fine but with a single spring, it was as if the flattened grains were wedging themselves between the drum and the housing causing it to hang up. Anyone else have that problem?

TNsailorman
03-27-2018, 12:04 AM
I had the same problem with the powder measure on a Dillon 550 and went to 2 springs and never looked back. Someone on here suggested it if I remember right.

Taterhead
03-27-2018, 12:37 AM
Are you using the standard metering cylinder (rotor) or the small one? With the large rotor, the piston is very near the top of the cylinder for small handgun charges. There might be interference with the small granules wedging on the top of the piston and not letting it rotate freely. [EDIT: Which, after re-reading the OP, that is basically what you suspected too.]

This rotor might give a better result:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/164839/hornady-lock-n-load-powder-measure-handgun-rotor-and-metering-assembly

Carrier
03-27-2018, 12:51 AM
I use a lot of 231 in my LNL and never had that issue. 231 is one of the best powders in mine.

Walks
03-27-2018, 01:06 AM
I also never had a problem with my L-N-L Powder Measure & W231. I only use the factory spring. I lost the factory spring once & replaced it with one "like" it from Home Depot. Not the same. Had to break down 200rds of .45ACP.

For best results use the right drum for the right powder. Small drum for pistol, large drum for rifle.

ReloaderFred
03-27-2018, 01:26 AM
I've never had a problem with Win. 231, or any other powder in my LnL powder measure, with the exception of Unique. Unique has always given me fits metering, and I've tried it in 7 different powder measures, but 231 has always been flawless.

As noted above, make sure you're using the pistol powder insert.

Hope this helps.

Fred

6bg6ga
03-27-2018, 06:22 AM
I use a lot of WW231 in my Dillon 650 which has the same powder measure as a Dillon 550. I've never had a problem with it or any other powder.

JimB..
03-27-2018, 09:54 AM
No problem with w231 in my LnL, I use the pistol rotor, single spring.

omgb
03-27-2018, 10:13 AM
I think I discovered my problem. My metering stem, a micrometer insert is not Hornady. It looks like it's a Redding unit. It fits, (tightly) but it may not really work in that drum. So, after 15 years, I just ordered the small drum and metering stem. Thanks for your help guys. It got me thinking in the right direction. I'm going to put the Redding stem up for sale. If you're interested look for it in the for sale section. It will go cheap.