PDA

View Full Version : First pound cast.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Was far easier than it sounded. Emptying the pot so I could load pure lead was the only impediment really. These are the measurements of the throat on my .308 model seven;

There is a tapered segment just ahead of the case mouth that is approximately 0.10" long. At the end of that I got .314". A half inch further I got .310" At the muzzle the groove measures .308". Not sure how to interpret that. Maybe I need a boolit like this one; http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-200C-D.png

What think some of you bullet masters?

Yodogsandman
03-26-2018, 06:00 PM
I'll never consider myself a master but, I do have experiences from my own observations that I don't mind sharing.

How many pound casts did you make? Yours looks like you had trouble tapping it out of the bore. One isn't enough.

Have you measured the inside case neck diameter for comparison? Best to check all your results a few times before ordering your mold.

tomme boy
03-26-2018, 07:22 PM
Do it again. Make sure there is some oil on the lead. So it can release easy. Just wipe it on with your finger is all that is needed.

You need to do the cast a couple times as was stated. That mold you show is NOT what you need

Cosmic_Charlie
03-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Here is one I just did on my 30-30. Measured .308 at the throat;

Good advice to do it more than once but this 30-30 one is pretty crisp so I'm calling it good.
Back to the model 7.........

Cosmic_Charlie
03-26-2018, 08:46 PM
Well, I measured the .308 cast again in better light and got .310 at the throat. I will do another cast and this time I'll squeeze the slug in a vice to increase it's diameter a couple thousandths before I tap it into the barrel.
I particularly want to see if the lands look worn down in the leade as they did on the first cast.

Yodogsandman
03-26-2018, 08:58 PM
A pound slug is put into the chamber from the chamber end. If you expand it too much, your bolt wont close.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-26-2018, 10:21 PM
A pound slug is put into the chamber from the chamber end. If you expand it too much, your bolt wont close.

Can't find the video I saw that showed the slug going in from the muzzel end. I lubed the bore and it went in and down easily. Could feel it stop in the case. About three more light taps and it firmed up. I had to tap gently on the bolt handle to get the case out but nothing excessive. Doing it this way gave me a really nice impression of my 30-30 throat and leade. I can clearly see where the lands begin just ahead of the throat. I can also see that the 30-30 can accomodate a drive band ahead of the crimp groove. The model 7 cast looks like it would work better with a boolit that begings to taper just ahead of the throat and has no step there.

I certainly have more to learn about all this.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-26-2018, 11:16 PM
Do it again. Make sure there is some oil on the lead. So it can release easy. Just wipe it on with your finger is all that is needed.

You need to do the cast a couple times as was stated. That mold you show is NOT what you need

I ordered this mold a couple week back specifically for the model 7; http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-160G-D.png

The choice was made on the recommendation of a member here. I think it will work well, particularly if I am able to seat the boolit so it touches the lands. The pound cast of the seven shows some wearing down of the lands just ahead of the throat and the 31-160g looks like it will work with that geometry.

tomme boy
03-27-2018, 01:06 AM
31-165A is one of the best in that weight range is you want to speed things up. It is made for a saami 308 spec throat and to keep the gas check in the neck.

Runfiverun here has pushed this very fast and kept very good accuracy with it. And it is EXTREMLY accurate if you want to keep it at normal cast speeds. Run and Ian helped me come up with this for my first 308 cast bullet mold on a new chambered barrel with a saami spec chamber reamer.

Depending on how old or new your Remington is, is whether or not this would work well. The newer models seem to have very short leades. While older models are like a 45 year old night lady.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-27-2018, 08:49 AM
I will try another pound cast in the model 7 feeding the slug rounds from the breech end as Y suggests. That method should do a better job of showing the condition of the lands in the leade. The rifle does show promise with Tight Group loads. I'm hoping gas checked boolits sized to .311 will do it for 1800 fps loadings. Then I can hunt deer with them.