PDA

View Full Version : Floating Rifle Barrels

LAH
09-06-2008, 11:24 AM
What do you personally use to prevent forearm twist? I heard this & that. I once opened a groove in the forearm & filled with bedding compound. This helped a bit. Suggestions/tech advice. Thanks guys.
God Bless
Creeker

Doc Highwall
09-06-2008, 11:37 AM
You can also bed a piece of metal in the groove when you do the job, this will give greater strength. It should start as far back as possible to the recoil lug and as far forward as the sling swivel stud. When I bed the gun I also bed the first inch or two of the barrel near the receiver depending on the barrel diameter.

Antietamgw
09-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I bed a piece of aluminum channel (hardware store) in Devcon Plastic Steel or MarineTex. It will even stiffen up those tuperware stocks like Ramline.

Char-Gar
09-06-2008, 03:39 PM
A metal rod inletted and glassed into the barrel channel will work but adds weight. A couple of lengths of old fiberglass fishing rod will do about the same things without adding weight.

Scrounger
09-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Fiberglass is fiberglass. Try the square 1/4" or 1/2" steel rods that are hollow, an 8" length of that shouldn't weigh much.

LAH
09-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Good advice Gentlemen. I'm leaning toward the aluminum channel bedded in the forearm.

Creeker

bobk
09-08-2008, 11:36 AM
For a really cheap fix, soda straws work. I suppose an old Chevy pushrod would do the job, ain't gonna bend that! However, there is no way that I know of that will allow you to wrap tight into a sling without affecting POA.
Bob K

LAH
09-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Thanks Bob. I'll not be using a sling for shooting this rifle. Most shooting will be off hand for Bambi..........Creeker