PDA

View Full Version : ??? about lee dies

onegunred
03-25-2018, 04:15 PM
I have a set of 32 h&r dies for my .327 Fed Mag. The carbide sizer is fine, the powder thru neck expander is a different story. It goes up into the die and engages the expand plug just fine. When I lift up on the handle to remove the case the amount of force is quite a bit. This is the only Lee powder thru expander I have so I have no history to fall back on. My RCBS expander die for my 44 is very smooth to remove the case with no effort to speak of. Is this normal ? Thanks, Jerry

Kenstone
03-25-2018, 04:18 PM
Polish it, that's what I do
:mrgreen:

Grmps
03-25-2018, 04:19 PM
▲▲▲▲ And don't seat it too deep ▲▲▲▲

coloraydo
03-25-2018, 05:54 PM
I've always wondered if Lee did that on purpose, to kind of "shake" the die to prevent powder build up when using the powder through expander powder thrower.

onegunred
03-25-2018, 06:36 PM
The instructions uses a phrase of abrupt stop at extraction to shake the powder into the case. I guess what I am feeling is the "abrupt stop".

nawagner
03-25-2018, 06:43 PM
My understanding is that it is on purpose to shake powder loose. From the instructions: "In use, the expander plug travels approximately
3/8” within the die and comes to an abrupt stop at extraction. This helps to shake the powder through."

jetinteriorguy
03-26-2018, 05:57 AM
I polish mine and coat them with graphite from an aerosol can. They still shake the powder dispenser enough for a good powder drop but release much smoother and easier. I polish with a little Flitz on a small buffer wheel with my Dremel tool, takes just a couple of minutes.