PDA

View Full Version : lyman reloading dies

pull the trigger
03-24-2018, 01:35 PM
I only own RCBS and one set of Lee dies. I was looking at used lyman dies, and it got me wondering about replacement parts. I have a little bag of decaping pins and extra stems for my RCBS, any chance they are the same in Lyman? or just stick with what I know?

Thanks

salpal48
03-24-2018, 01:58 PM
I found older Rcbs Dies will Inter change with lyman. new Ch parts will Interchange with both. it depends On how old your dies are
try to get Familiar with Your Thread size. you can get them from Ch4d

dale2242
03-25-2018, 07:41 AM
Lyman decapping pins have a head on them somewhat like a nail.
RCBS use a straight pin....dale

Wayne Smith
03-25-2018, 09:03 AM
SOME RCBS use straight pins. Some use capped or headed pins. For me, so far, yes, the pins interchange.

dale2242
03-26-2018, 06:39 AM
None of my RCBS dies have headed pins.
Interesting......Dale

redhawk0
03-26-2018, 08:06 AM
I have RCBS with both capped pins and straight pins also. I can't remember the caliber of each...too many to go check....but I also have a set of lyman dies. They are a good quality die and other than decapping pins you shouldn't "need" parts. I also have a universal decapping die just in case I am in a pinch and need to decap when a pin breaks that I don't have on hand. I'm pretty sure the RCBS pins (capped) fit my Lyman die (45-70) But its been so long since I broke one, I can't remember this for sure.

redhawk

LUBEDUDE
03-26-2018, 08:12 AM
I have RCBS dies that take both types of pins as well. I don’t know if the difference is according to date of manufacture or some other reason.

HangFireW8
03-26-2018, 09:18 AM
I have RCBS dies that take both types of pins as well. I don’t know if the difference is according to date of manufacture or some other reason.

To complicate things, RCBS (for a while) made Reloader Special dies, which were essentially copies of the Lee dies. They had wrench flats (a good thing) and a sliding decapping stem (not a good thing). Perhaps that is the difference. Or maybe it was a change in their primary lineup. I'd have to go through my collection of dies to figure it out.

So Lee threatened to use RCBS for copying their dies. Lee introduced "RGB" dies in GREEN boxes and RCBS sued Lee for making something that looked like their green dies and "RGB" seemed too close to "RCBS". Good times all around.

Back on the main topic, I have 5 different kinds of decapping pins, and that still doesn't cover all the dies I have.

15meter
03-26-2018, 09:20 AM
None of my RCBS dies have headed pins.
Interesting......Dale

I think it is a vintage thing. I to have RCBS with and without headed decap pins. Without digging through dies I'm pretty sure my 1975 50-70 dies have headed pins. Recently purchased dies all straight pins.

EDG
03-26-2018, 04:26 PM
I have RCBS dies from the early 2000s going back to the esrly 1960s- maybe 100 sets and they all have straight headless pins. It is my understanding that more recent RCBS dies have the headed pins. I cannot confirm that because I do not have any new die sets of recent manufacture.

Taterhead
03-26-2018, 05:50 PM
My RCBS hand gun dies are the headed type. Some rifle are straight. I keep spares for all, but rarely need to replace them. I don't know if they interchange with Lyman.

pull the trigger
03-31-2018, 05:34 AM
I guess I will just have to get some and see. I have spare pins and stems for the RCBS so to keep things simple I will probably keep that path. But I will probably pick up some Lymans when I find some super cheap. Thanks folks.

JimB..
03-31-2018, 08:00 AM
RCBS can’t seem to stop changing things, I have several decapping dies and they each seem to have a unique thread pitch on the stem. There are three different RCBS pins, large, small, and headed. Tried a Hornady headed pin in an RCBS die last night, no love.

Sorry, no info on Lyman so this isn’t helpful, but was messing with it last night so tossing it out there.