PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mold Handles

Hipshot
09-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey guys,
What is the best method of tightening up mold handles on a really old pair of Lyman Mold handles?
Got any ideas?

Hipshot

floodgate
09-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Hipshot: Lay the head end of the pivot pin (which i really a big rivet) on an anvil, and whack the other end (look for a circular "parting line" where it goes into the rounded "washer" on the back side) a couple of times with a medium ball-peen hammer. If it gets too tight, lay it, head down, on a stack of large washers, or across the open jaws of a vise, and whack the riveted end back out a bit with a matching punch. May take a coupla tries, but should do the job.

Floodgate

Hipshot
09-06-2008, 07:31 PM
floodgate,
Thanx, but I guess I should have made myself a little clearer. I need to tighten up the WOOD handles. I have pinned them in the past, but am getting lazy and hoped to be able to just tighten them up some way. I suppose I can just soak the wooden parts in water to make them swell, but that would be a real temporary fix.

Hipshot

largom
09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
floodgate,
Thanx, but I guess I should have made myself a little clearer. I need to tighten up the WOOD handles. I have pinned them in the past, but am getting lazy and hoped to be able to just tighten them up some way. I suppose I can just soak the wooden parts in water to make them swell, but that would be a real temporary fix.

Hipshot

Take the handles off and put some epoxy in the holes, reassemble and let set overnight. You could also use High Temp. silicone rubber [RTV].

Larry

Ben
09-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I take mine off, degrease and clean the metal, coat it with JB Weld, tap the wood back on snug.

Allow to harden overnight.

Never had another problem with mine........

Ben

floodgate
09-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Hipshot:

Sorry; I misunderstood. Those litttle cross-pins can burn you if they are close to the front end of the handles, and the mould is running hot Don't ask how I know....

I keep a tube of that nasty black high-temperature muffler repair cement handy for tightening loose handles, but reports by others (as above) indicate JB Weld, RTV or even standard hardware-store epoxy works fine, too.

Fg

Hipshot
09-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanx Guys,
I am going to try Ben's remedy first as I have some JB WELD already!

Hipshot