PDA

View Full Version : changing lubes?

shooter93
11-25-2005, 12:20 AM
A question for the group....If you didn't or don't own several lube-sizers...what method do you use to clean the lube out of the sizer and dies when you want to switch lubes?

Buckshot
11-25-2005, 02:19 AM
A question for the group....If you didn't or don't own several lube-sizers...what method do you use to clean the lube out of the sizer and dies when you want to switch lubes?

...........Well I never really did. I used Javalina to the exclusion of everything else and never felt the need for any other lube. Then I was sent some hard heat type lube to try, and via hand lubing some slugs found it to be a much better high velocity lube then Javalina (who'd a thunk it? :-).

I then went looking for another lube-sizer so I wouldn't have the hassle of doing lube swaps. One is filled with Javalina and the other with a heat required, hard green waxy lube.

..............Buckshot

imashooter2
11-25-2005, 09:57 AM
I remove the die and run the pressure screw down all the way to squeeze out all I can, then melt out the rest with my press heater (an old iron on a metal plate). A hair dryer or heat gun would do the same job. I catch the runoff in a plastic butter tub for later reuse. When changing from soft to hard, I don't clean the dies, just have a few bullets with soft/mixed lube in them. When going from hard to soft, I boil the die to melt out the hard lube.

The change process is sufficiently painful that I recently purchased another press.