PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Ever Put 4gr of Trailboss in a .327 MAG?

rhouser
03-21-2018, 10:51 AM
I am using some Meistner 95gr hardcast PB's in .327 Federal brass for my new single-seven 7.5" barreled Ruger. At 3 grains off a rest at 7 yards it shoots dime groups but at 25 yards they opened to a 6 inch spray pattern.

I have seen this before and the answer is generally "more velocity".

I recognize that I could just change powder, but, I started to calculate what the "max" charge would be in the .327. Using a kind of Rube Goldberg measuring approach, I believe that I can get 4.0 grains into the casing with the boolit seated and still not compress the round.

That said, I am going to the group. I don't always need to be the first to discover a bad idea. Anybody else ever try 4.0 grains of Trailboss in a 327 mag?

I have loaded 3 rounds which I can pull and dump if need be....

Thanks in advance for any advice, guidance, or comment.

v/r rch

earlmck
03-21-2018, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure what your question is... are you wondering about pressure? That is a very very mild load -- black powder level pressures. If it shoots it's great. If it needs more velocity yet you might look at Unique or something in that vicinity for burn rate -- as you have noticed you are going to run out of room for TB at about 4.5 grains (still very mild load).

rhouser
03-21-2018, 01:48 PM
earmck, you have answered my question. I was worried about my measurement of the max capacity without compressing the TB. I was guessing 4.2 gr max but was looking for a confirmation. Your 4.5 gr may be exactly right.

I have a potential good load that just needs some more steam. I know the chamber pressure is nothing, I just don't know what happens if I compress Trailboss. To hear tell, it is a bad thing to do.

I am 67 and want to keep all the parts I have left. I could switch powders and will for my 113 gr GC boolits. I was just wanting to see if this boolit would hold with the TB and group at 25 yards.

thanks for your response

v/r rch

Grmps
03-21-2018, 02:23 PM
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=3

john.k
03-26-2018, 09:41 AM
In a 32/20,which doesnt have a fancy name,4 gns of TB and a 120 gn bullet is a good mild load at about 1200f/sec.

rhouser
03-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Turns out that 4gr load worked just fine. 3.3gr was the best with my 7.5” Single Seven out to 25 Yds. Thanks to all.

V/R

Rch