PDA

View Full Version : freecheck tool

twotoescharlie
09-05-2008, 02:42 PM
got a .30 cal. this AM, had to try it. didn't like the blank punch. that ol' light bulb went on over my head.

I had a 3/8 inch single hole paper punch (old Wilson Jones Co. office supply tool)
small 3X2 inches with a small lever on top to operate the punch. cut a strip of beverage can wide enough to make a single pass then reverse and punch other side.
these came out perfectly flat,no curled edges. probably could find one of these at any office supply store, shouldn't cost much.
this is alot faster and neater as the punches fall out of the bottom of the punch.
just thought I would pass this along as it is much faster than the hammer and punch method. don't know what other sizes would be available other than the 1/4 and 3/8 inch.

TTC

yarro
09-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Why would you run aluminum down your barrel when the exposed surface is aluminum oxide, which is abrasive to your bore?

-Yarro

RU shooter
09-05-2008, 08:34 PM
I wish I could use a .375 punch as it would open up alot more comercially availible options for making the blanks,But I need a .410 dia. blank.

And Yarro ,Its because I want to be free from the corporate establishment which is Hornady !!!!!!:drinks: Power to the boolit caster!!!!
And I'm a Cheap SOB

Tim

Nueces
09-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Aluminum beverage cans tend to be painted on the outside and clear coated on the inside, so there is no contact with any oxide surface in a FreeChek made from these cans. Even if a clean aluminum surface is allowed to oxidize, the oxide layer that forms on aluminum alloy is very thin, about half a millionth of an inch. This layer is quite nonreactive, so that further corrosion is inhibited. You have to work to increase this thickness (anodizing).

Aluminum oxide in crystalline form (corundum) is very abrasive, as many have said. The grains are hard and provide cutting edges and points. Surface oxidation, however, takes the amorphous form, ie, non-crystalline. And, because of the very thin layer, we have an amount of material that is exceedingly tiny compared with the surface of the bore.

I think no worries are necessary concerning bore abrasion from aluminum FreeCheks.

Mark

twotoescharlie
09-06-2008, 09:19 AM
thanks Nueces, well spoken. it's about the punch not the gascheck. I personally use .007 gold sheeting, it may not be accurate,but it shore is purdy!!!

TTC

Nueces
09-06-2008, 12:41 PM
And, thank you for the report on the paper punch. Glad to know it works so well. I found a multi-diameter punch for metal shim stock that I intend to use as you have, to make GC blanks. I want to reproduce the original Hanned Freechec idea of applying copper checks to PB boolits, so blank diameter is not so critical.

Gold, huh? 'Dja run outa platinum? :drinks:

Mark