PDA

View Full Version : Les Baer 1911 Retirement present to myself

6bg6ga
03-20-2018, 06:38 AM
I'm currently saving my nickles and dimes for my retirement present to myself. I think its going to be a new Les Baer 1911 45acp. I'm partial to stainless. I want a model that will serve me well on the target range. I'm open to suggestions as to with model I should order.

tazman
03-20-2018, 07:17 AM
I can't make suggestions, but I like the idea. Nice gift.

Dan Cash
03-20-2018, 08:21 AM
Pick the one you want; you will be happy. My 1911s are all plebian Kimber and Colts but the 2 Baer pistols which I have shot were truly superlative.

Petrol & Powder
03-20-2018, 08:22 AM
That's an excellent idea !

glockfan
03-20-2018, 08:58 AM
every les bauer i've shot were tack drivers. insanely accurate guns. my buddy own a centenial edition unit...pfffft. a one ragged hole all day without even aiming.

https://wanstallscustom.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/b/lb-tr2ndgen-750.png

Der Gebirgsjager
03-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Yes-- you need to get the one that you want. Since they're pretty expensive, and you're saving nickels and dimes, I guess you won't be retiring soon? ;) Kidding aside, congratulations on both the retirement and the gift.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-20-2018, 07:28 PM
That sounds like an excellent idea go for it

9.3X62AL
03-20-2018, 07:36 PM
A Les Baer pistol would make a dandy retirement gift! I have a strong preference for Commander-length slides over the Government Model/5" barrel platform. Most of my carry guns fit that "mould pattern"--full-size receiver/4"-4.5" barrel.

Texas by God
03-20-2018, 07:42 PM
The one with the full length dust cover gets my vote. Monolith?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wv109323
03-20-2018, 07:59 PM
I wold want one with adjustable sights but the rest is personal preference as to the options.

charlie b
03-20-2018, 09:09 PM
If for target use I would strongly suggest the best adjustable sights they have.

Other than that the grips are the only thing I'd consider changing. I just don't like wood grips on pistols I shoot a lot.

dverna
03-20-2018, 09:54 PM
By the time I could afford a Clark I was too old and shaky to make it run like it can. Wish you luck with the Les Baer. Great gun

knifemaker
03-20-2018, 10:32 PM
216787You want one that will shoot groups like this one. That hole can be covered with a 5 cent nickel and it is 8 rounds of Federal Gold match ammo fired from a Ransom rest at 25 yards. I have a total of $1,800.00 in the gun. The custom smith that did the fitting of the match Kart barrel and bushing only charged me about 400 bucks .
He is now employed by Ruger at their Prescott, AZ. plant. Hopefully working on their 1911 projects.

6bg6ga
03-21-2018, 05:59 AM
Thanks for all the good will. Its been a long hard run. I started working when I was 14 and when I hit 16 I worked full time since and I've got about 37 work days left after extending my stay yet another 10 work days. I can almost see the end of it.

With respect to the Les Baer.... I've always wanted a really decent 1911. yes, I've had some fairly accurate ones in the Colt Gold Cup national match 1911's. My best 1911 that I own now is a S&W 1911 out of the custom shop and well to be honest I have a more 1911's than what I need and probably more than most people. I just wanted a really really nice one. I'm kinda on the wall over buying a new one or buying a slightly used one that I found. The used one is about $1900.00 and I believe a new one of the same model is like $2695.00
Definitely need a stainless one and adjustable sights and normal full size length. But then there is this really nice one with the blued slide and stainless bottom. There is just too many to choose from.

6bg6ga
03-21-2018, 06:04 AM
By the time I could afford a Clark I was too old and shaky to make it run like it can. Wish you luck with the Les Baer. Great gun

I've always wanted a Clark too. I've never shot a Clark and maybe their better. I figured I'd go with the Les Baer simply because they are Iowa based and being an Iowan I'm not too awful far if I need something done to it.

6bg6ga
03-21-2018, 06:09 AM
216787You want one that will shoot groups like this one. That hole can be covered with a 5 cent nickel and it is 8 rounds of Federal Gold match ammo fired from a Ransom rest at 25 yards. I have a total of $1,800.00 in the gun. The custom smith that did the fitting of the match Kart barrel and bushing only charged me about 400 bucks .
He is now employed by Ruger at their Prescott, AZ. plant. Hopefully working on their 1911 projects.

That is a dandy S&W you have there. I've never tried my S&W 1911 from the custom shop in a ransom rest to see what it will do. It is supposed to be an accurate gun and in my hand generally one ragged hole with one slightly outside. It is an extremely tight gun and you really need the barrel bushing wrench to take it apart.

1980Harley
03-21-2018, 07:07 AM
Retirement's not far away for me also and I have been eyeing both the Les Baer and the Clark. Haven't decided yet between the two, but I will by that time. The group from Knifemaker with the S&W sure looks like it may be in the running also. Alas, more custom choices. What am I to do?

Love Life
03-21-2018, 07:29 AM
Call John at 1911 Heaven for the best prices on a new Les Baer.

6bg6ga
03-21-2018, 07:44 AM
Call John at 1911 Heaven for the best prices on a new Les Baer.

Can't I just drive to LeClaire, Iowa and pick up one at the factory? Its less than 100 mi from me.

Love Life
03-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Yeah, you can. You’ll probably pay more direct from Les than you would from John.

Tatume
03-21-2018, 08:32 AM
Yeah, you can. You’ll probably pay more direct from Les than you would from John.

Agree. Crazy John has good prices.

Love Life
03-21-2018, 08:57 AM
Agree. Crazy John has good prices.

The last 2 I bought from him beat the Les Baer price by over $400.00. One was a stainless UTC.

dverna
03-21-2018, 09:35 AM
I've always wanted a Clark too. I've never shot a Clark and maybe their better. I figured I'd go with the Les Baer simply because they are Iowa based and being an Iowan I'm not too awful far if I need something done to it.

You will not go wrong with the Les Baer. I was not suggesting the Clark was any better...because I do not know! I owned two Long Slide Clarks so I know they are great guns and I lusted for a Les Baer as well but reality of both ability and funds got in the way. I cannot even shoot well enough now to need anything better than my Kimber Team Match.

Go with the Baer if that is what you really want. Sometimes wants must be met even if not needed. You worked your whole life...you earned it!!!

Enjoy!

bgw45
03-21-2018, 06:33 PM
If you would consider hard chrome then look at the 572.

Bigslug
03-22-2018, 09:25 AM
Stainless is a fine and dandy thing for concealed carry, hunting, etc. . ., but carbon steel is the material of choice when it comes down to the hand work that goes into fitting super-sexy custom guns like that.

If you're looking for a match pistol, check out the rules of the game or games you might be playing. I believe CMP recently changed the rules for the Distinguished Marksman (EIC) matches to allow most of the modern upgrades to a 1911 such as beavertail grip safeties, oversize and ambidextrous thumb safeties, etc..., but historically, most of that stuff wouldn't fly, and you were basically only allowed something that looked like a GI gun with adjustable sights.

Ultimate Master 5" if you've got some flexibility in that, the CMP-legal NM Hardball if you don't.

pincherpartner
03-23-2018, 02:08 PM
If you can’t go factory direct, Crazy John is the way to go. He has the best prices and is very helpful. We stopped by the factory to drop off a friend’s pistol for some work and were lucky enough to meet Les himself. Start your forearm workout now, the Les Baers are tight. But man do they shoot!

birch
03-23-2018, 10:30 PM
I have the Heavyweight Monolith. I cannot begin to express the quality and craftsmanship of this gun. Words cannot explain how the gun feels and shoots. I have owned A BUNCH of different 1911 types. I had a really nice series 70 Gold Cup National Match that was a really nice 1911.

My Monolith makes that Colt look/feel/shoot like a kids cap-gun. It is the only 1911 I have ever owned in which I know if I miss, it was my fault and not the gun's fault. If you are near Northern Michigan, I would drive some distance to show you how they feel and shoot. Did I mention they look pretty darn cool as well? My gun has an Eliason style rear sight that is surely fine tune-able. ---Precise and Strong

PM me if you have any technical questions. I would love to answer them

There is a very cool Youtube video that features Les walking through his shop at different stations. Congratulations on your retirement and the gift you are getting for yourself.

CLAYPOOL
03-23-2018, 10:59 PM
There is "SOMETHING" for that new car smell. Never had one my self, BUT you have had a good "RUN" working, Go out in style....

bluelund79
03-24-2018, 11:38 PM
I picked up my LB Prowler III as my E7 promotion gift back in 2011. Still absolutely in love with it. For Stainless, I’d say either the Custom Carry if you want fixed sights, or the stands by PII for adjustable sights.....congratulations on the retirement. I got mine backwards as I bought a Colt Combat Commander when I made E8 last year, go figure.

6bg6ga
03-25-2018, 05:51 AM
I just want to say that veryone has been so kind and I appreciate all the good wishes for my retirement. I never realized that there were so many models of the Les Baer, Clark, and a few others. I absolutely fell in love with another brand but to be honest it is above the amount that I am setting aside. I think I am stuck with the Les Baer 572 Hemi unless I receive some type of windfall thru the lottery or a long lost relative neither of which I'm going to see.

That is a fine looking Prowler by the way. So many guns and so little time left to enjoy them and I'm going to try to make the best of it.