PDA

View Full Version : Passed up a decent lead buy yesterday!!!

rockrat
03-19-2018, 10:05 AM
What was I thinking!! Or was I thinking!!

three 60 lb foundry ingots of pure lead for $100. Heck, probably could have got it for $80. Don't use pure lead much, so passed it by. Heck, I should have bought it, cast into small ingots and sold it to you guys here.

Had a table at the show, so didn't get alot of time to browse.

farmerjim
03-19-2018, 11:04 AM
Yep, could have doubled your money.

bangerjim
03-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Pure Pb can ALWAYS very easily be alloyed with Sn and Sb to make the hardness you need. I NEVER let pure Pb go by! You can always use it.

Buy all you can when it comes around at those prices. Clean pure Pb goes for $1.00 a pound most places on here and buying at many scrap yards.

dverna
03-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Maybe not so terrible...if you value your time to lug it around and smelt it down. I would have bought it as I have lots of time for stuff like that. I was buying lead as I neared retirement and stockpiling it.

lightman
03-19-2018, 02:53 PM
That was a decent price. Just reinforces what I've said about lead still being out there if you look.

Walter Laich
03-19-2018, 03:33 PM
I have become somewhat spoiled by buying lead off this site. as mentioned above the smelting is already done for you

that being said I wouldn't pass up a great buy if one came along

MaryB
03-19-2018, 10:06 PM
$1 a pound is my going rate to pay for pure... so a bit high in price...

Pardini
03-19-2018, 11:35 PM
$1 a pound is my going rate to pay for pure... so a bit high in price...

More like a bit low.

jessdigs
03-22-2018, 09:38 PM
240 lbs for $100 sounds great

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

dondiego
03-24-2018, 02:57 PM
Three ingots at 60 pounds each = 180 pounds for $100 = 55.5 cents per pound.

MaryB
03-25-2018, 10:39 PM
I misread the first sentence LOL reminder, do not do math in head when dead tired...

RogerDat
03-29-2018, 11:17 AM
Best price I have found in recent years on plain lead was around 75 cents a pound as I recall. Had to take 300# roll of sheet lead but they did let me cut it into sections there which made transport easier. And that was a good while back. Have been tempted or late to buy more lead, happens whenever I read the trouble some folks have getting lead. I feel like I am wasting an opportunity. Unfortunately dear wife thinks of it more as wasting money since to her there doesn't seem to be any "shortage" when she looks around the garage for someplace to put her gardening stuff.

+1 on math when tired. I priced some used range brass pretty high when trying to get it posted late when tired. Worst part is I screwed up using a calculator!

Edward
03-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Best price I have found in recent years on plain lead was around 75 cents a pound as I recall. Had to take 300# roll of sheet lead but they did let me cut it into sections there which made transport easier. And that was a good while back. Have been tempted or late to buy more lead, happens whenever I read the trouble some folks have getting lead. I feel like I am wasting an opportunity. Unfortunately dear wife thinks of it more as wasting money since to her there doesn't seem to be any "shortage" when she looks around the garage for someplace to put her gardening stuff.

+1 on math when tired. I priced some used range brass pretty high when trying to get it posted late when tired. Worst part is I screwed up using a calculator!

I got my wife a garden shed /No problem :bigsmyl2:

Cue
04-01-2018, 02:05 PM
I would be happy to find it for $1 per pound here!

Budzilla 19
04-01-2018, 09:22 PM
Cue, did you look in the VS section for The Captain?? lots for sale on here, just keep at it, you will hit sooner than you think!!!!! Good luck.