PDA

View Full Version : Extractor replacement on 788 Remington .222

wmitty
03-18-2018, 08:10 PM
Managed to damage the existing extractor on my 788 and I intend to attempt replacing it with one from Brownells. Am I correct in that the existing rivet is driven out of the bolt body and the old extractor removed with a precision screwdriver; etc. The new extractor is set in position and rivet placed in the extractor and rivet head supported while projecting end of the rivet is expanded against the bolt body?

John Taylor
03-19-2018, 08:28 AM
That's the way it's done. You will need an "anvil" to go inside the bolt so the rivet can be peened over. Or you could install a Sako extractor or a PTG extractor. Both require machine work.

wmitty
03-19-2018, 04:53 PM
John Taylor Thanks for your reply! I'll attempt this one, but I'll be sending you another 788 bolt with a broken bolt handle. Made the mistake of purchasing a barreled receiver in .22-250 and using my existing bolt from my 1969 rifle in it. Headspace was slightly shorter and I managed to remove the bolt handle in my effort to chamber the round. I'll not mention the extractor replacement required on the 788 in .30-30; well, I guess I already have. 788's are delicate rifles compared to Mausers.