PDA

View Full Version : Just got home from the local show

country gent
03-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Well Gentleman, Just got home from the SCSC show and had a good day. Visited with some friends and talked a lot. Wasn't as big a show as usually is. Saw some interesting things. I picked up a roller that's really nice. Remington action has been reblued to a nice deep blue. 32" badger 1-18 twist octagon barrel ( haven't measured it yet for taper), great trigger at about 1 1/2 lbs break. MVA long range soule sight with MVA base and Hadley eye cup. MVA wind gage front globe with level. Walnut is very nice and forearm and buttstock match. Also has a limb saver butt pad on it. Rifle looks great feels very good and is 45-70. Got it for $1000.00. Didn't really need another 45-70 but just couldn't pas this up. Ironic thing is the seller and I both drove 40 miles in the same direction to make this transaction. LOL Its a really nice rifle and should be a easy shooter with the weight and limb saver pad.

nagantguy
03-18-2018, 02:20 PM
Those are great times, seeing the boys, looking over items of interest and maybe finding a gem and completing a deal to boot! Last April I went on a pig hunting trip to TN with some Marine Corps buddies we are all from MI and Ohio, a member here had bought a rifle stock from me and he met us in TN ,great guy and saved on shipping !!! Love it when a plan works out

West Texas Infidel
03-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Congratulations on a nice find.......pictures would be nice :)

country gent
03-18-2018, 03:36 PM
I just put the calipers on the barrel. 1 .200 at the breech and 1.015 at the muzzle 32" long. No tulip between action and octagon. Will try to post pics later when Daughter gets back home to help me

rfd
03-18-2018, 05:55 PM
wow, a great find, i would have snapped that up, too, because ... rollers rule, at least for me. ;)

Lead pot
03-18-2018, 06:59 PM
CG.
With a 1 1/2# trigger you might pay attention to the hammer to see if it jumps back when fired. If the spring was softened to reduce the trigger pull instead of working with the sear that hammer could get pushed back by the firing pin unlocking the block if there is excessive headspace. It has happen before and the rifle shot backwards.

country gent
03-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Dr y firing it seems okay but I will watch it close when I test fire it. Thanks L P

Jedman
03-19-2018, 07:54 AM
c g, Where is the SCSC show at ? Jedman

sharps4590
03-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Yours was obviously a better show than ours. Congrats on a really nice sounding score!!!

country gent
03-19-2018, 01:00 PM
Jedman, The Sandusky county Sportsman club in Gibsonburg area. Its twice a year. I pick up state route 6 south of grand Rapids and that to SR300 to SR600 that runs by the club. Its a nice show and the aisles are wide enough for my wheel chair to get around easily. I found out Maumee valley and montpieler were both last weekend also.

Jedman
03-19-2018, 06:04 PM
Thanks, I should have figured that out ! I went to one of there shows about 5 years ago it was a nice show reminded me of one I went to once at a sportsmanship club in Saline, MI.

Jedman

country gent
03-20-2018, 09:40 PM
Well MVA got back with me today, I didn't get any inserts with the rifle, but wasn't worried since I have both styles here Sharps and Stevens for my other rifles. When I put the sharps style in it was .020-.030 to tall. I would have had to file ,020 -.030 flat on the top for the spring lock bar to go over it. Cheryl is sending me a sample to try of the current ones.