PDA

View Full Version : Corned Beef

Idaho Mule
03-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Anybody else corn their own beef? I've had mine in the brine for the last 10 days. Wife is now loading it in the pot with taters, carrots, onions and celery, cabbage is chopped up and ready to be added later. We'll have dinner about 4 pm, should be good. JW

trapper9260
03-17-2018, 01:57 PM
My brother use to make it.but he end up buy some for today and already ate.

Ramguy
03-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Never tried making our own. Too easy to just buy it. I am guessing the difference in taste is probably awesome. Mine's on the stove too, as a side note, is it OK to add green food coloring to the Modelo beer..... asking for a friend.

Smoke4320
03-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Never tried making our own. Too easy to just buy it. I am guessing the difference in taste is probably awesome. Mine's on the stove too, as a side note, is it OK to add green food coloring to the Modelo beer..... asking for a friend.

Jose Shawn OMally ? :)

kens
03-17-2018, 03:29 PM
I just smoked mine this morning.
Had it marinating for 2 weeks, started a hot smokey fire, seared it, then put it in a pan, foil covered and let the heat slow down with plenty of smoke action. About 3 hours of that, then sliced it for sandwiches, pastrami/cole slaw sammiches, and pastrami rueben toasted on the grill !!
the rueben toasted on the grill was just awesome

Outer Rondacker
03-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Crock pot for us this year. I have never had home made corned beef. Gives me something to look forward to trying in the future. Enjoy the day guys.

Food coloring is it ok yes. Should you NO.

jdfoxinc
03-17-2018, 03:44 PM
I used to until commercial corned beef became much less expensive than whole briskit locally.

jcren
03-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Love my home made corned beef/pastrami. Equal parts Morton quickcure, healthy amount of salad grind black pepper ask a dash of rosemary. Run on thick double zip lock or vacuum bag it ( double protects from a hostile wife if one bag leaks ) and into the fridge for 10-14 days, flip twice a day.

Ramguy
03-17-2018, 04:51 PM
And just so ya'll don't think i'm totally uncouth for adding food coloring to an Irish/Mexican beer, I do have some pretty good Kiltlifter SPA on hand too.......erin go "bro"....

kens
03-17-2018, 09:01 PM
I dont use brisket. I use what ever roast is on sale at the time.

MaryB
03-17-2018, 09:08 PM
I have in the past, this year I grabbed a small flat and made it yesterday(I wanted reubens today!). Since it was such a small piece(3 pounds I added the cabbage right away so it could cook down. Baked it at 325 for 2 1/2 hours, came out tender and juicy! Potatoes and carrots with it.

Dryball
03-18-2018, 01:32 AM
OMG...the best ever is home made corned deer meat. Just use the same recipe as for beef.

Oily
03-18-2018, 05:31 AM
Idaho Mule, can you give us your recipe or is it a family secret. Would love to corn my own.

Lloyd Smale
03-18-2018, 07:53 AM
never corned beef but have done venison. I just use the prepacked cure/spices that are sold by meatman.com. Came out real good

kens
03-18-2018, 09:14 AM
I order online from the spice house
https://www.thespicehouse.com/curing-salt
https://www.thespicehouse.com/corned-beef-blend-of-whole-spices

https://www.thespicehouse.com/recipes/corned-beef-brine-recipe

Elkins45
03-18-2018, 09:17 AM
never corned beef but have done venison. I just use the prepacked cure/spices that are sold by meatman.com. Came out real good

I’ve done venison too, but I was never really happy with it. I had better luck making venison pastrami. I may have to try the Meatman spices.

Moonie
03-18-2018, 04:45 PM
I have made my own and planned to this year but ran out of time. I normally inject the curing brine to speed up the curing time.

MaryB
03-18-2018, 09:00 PM
An alternative to a brisket(which has become super expensive) is a round roast. Not as much fat but it makes a decent end product for sandwiches. I have also corned a sirloin tip roast where you get more fat.

ARKLITE881South
03-18-2018, 10:12 PM
Oh boy, we just had corned beef, cabbage, carrots and red potatoes made in the crock pot for dinner, FANTASTIC!

obssd1958
03-18-2018, 10:28 PM
Oh boy, we just had corned beef, cabbage, carrots and red potatoes made in the crock pot for dinner, FANTASTIC!

Wife and I just had the same thing - for the second night in a row.
Two bowls last night, and 3 bowls tonight...
Really good stuff!!!

Idaho Mule
03-19-2018, 11:32 PM
Idaho Mule, can you give us your recipe or is it a family secret. Would love to corn my own.

Oily, no family secret here, I'll see if I can compose this for you.

We start with 4-5 lbs. beef (I usually use round roast because I don't like the fatty brisket), good lean deer or elk works well too.
2 quarts water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
curing salt...We use from Hi-Mountain Seasoning... 1/8 tsp/lb. Just follow directions for whatever you use.
5 TBS Pickling Spice (Penzy's)

To a large 6-8 qt stockpot, add the water, salt, sugar, curing salt, and pickling spices. Bring to a boil for a few minutes to be sure all sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from heat, add 2 lbs of ice and let cool to 45 degrees. You may have to put in fridge to help it cool. Once cool, place the meat in a 2 gallon zip-lock bag (we use food saver bag) and add brine. Remove all the air you can and seal bag. Lay flat in fridge for 10 days, roll the bag over once a day or so to keep cure even. You can go longer if you want, and if the meat is thicker than 3 inches it would be advisable to go 14 days to allow brine to penetrate fully.
Remove from brine, rinse well in cool water and place meat in crock pot. Cover with spuds, carrots, onions and celery, and put about 1 inch water in bottom. Cook on low heat for 6 hours. After 3 hours we add as much quartered cabbage as we can stuff in, and let it all cook for the remaining 3 hours.

This method will yield much better corned beef than you can buy in the store, that pre packaged stuff is junk if you ask me. Be sure that the meat is less than 3 inches thick so the cure can penetrate fully. Enjoy. JW