PDA

View Full Version : Ruger single-six convert .22/.22wmr grips

georgerkahn
03-16-2018, 07:08 PM
I once again seek assistance/direction from one of the many knowledgeable folks here. To wit, I have the Ruger Model 626 -- their 6.5" .22 / .22wmr single six convertible revolver. My one and only complaint with this 1981-manufactured firearm is the grips being shorter than I wish they were. I do not have huge hands ;) -- but the 6.5" barrel regularly proves the grips as too short for me, with only 2 1/2 fingers able to support the firearm for shooting. Vendors I've researched do not list dimensions -- just, terms like "factory".
If you are aware of a grip which is longer than the ones which came with (new) firearm, , I'd surely appreciate learning of it.
Thank you!
geo

9.3X62AL
03-16-2018, 07:24 PM
IIRC--the Pachmayr Presentation grip sets for the Ruger Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk add about 1/8" to 1/4" to the overall length of the plow handle grips present on those models. I am about 75% sure that Ruger Blackhawk "PachPres" grip sets also fit Single-Six grip frames, but verify that before spending your money. I have the same issue with OEM grips on the Ruger single actions--the frames for same are half a finger-breadth short. On my BHs in 30 Carbine and 41 Magnum, the Pachmayr Presentation grip add just enough grip length to enable a secure grasp, and thicken the diameter a bit as well. The down-side to these "grabby" neoprene grip sets is that they don't allow the SAA-style "plow handle" to "roll up" in the hand the way that less grabby wood or hard rubber will. I am not one who uses that shooting method, but some folks adhere to it. FYI.

contender1
03-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Well, you have a few options.
One, slip the little finger under the bottom of the grip, as a lot of folks do.
Two, you can get a set of customs made,, that are extended/longer to allow for a better purchase of the little finger.
Three, get a place like Hogue or Herret's to make a set, with a tracing of your hand.
Four, wait & do a search on-line for auctions or sales of grips already made that are oversized.

I have a set of oversized grips in my stash of stuff somewhere,, that are longer. I need to drag them out & sell them.

I also learned how to make my own grips several years ago. One of the things I did was to eliminate the angled taper of the sides of the grip as seen on the factory grips. My own grips are flat bottomed. It adds a little more to get a grip on.

ReloaderFred
03-17-2018, 03:39 AM
I've added Altamont's grips to all my Ruger Blackhawks and Single Sixes. They're thicker than factory and give me a much better grip. This is the one I've got on all of them.

Ruger Blackhawk Classic Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Fleur-de-Lis

georgerkahn
03-17-2018, 08:11 AM
I've added Altamont's grips to all my Ruger Blackhawks and Single Sixes. They're thicker than factory and give me a much better grip. This is the one I've got on all of them.

Ruger Blackhawk Classic Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Fleur-de-Lis

Thanks -- BUT, I checked the Ruger site, and their "Ruger Blackhawk Classic Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Fleur-de-Lis" grips are unavailable presently. Might there be other options?
geo