PDA

View Full Version : DONT BUY KHYBERs

smokemjoe
09-04-2008, 07:28 PM
I got a Khyber Pass lee enfield 1903 from a leading surplus house. You cant get a 303 case in the chamber, the bore size is .277, Would be okey if you have a barrel to put on it. If I sent it back there is a 15 per cent restocking fee and shipping. I may sell it, or trade? anyone interested, Gone the national cast bullet match until Monday. Thanks for reading. Joe

JeffinNZ
09-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Joe, they can't charge you to send it back when it is not what they said they were supplying.

I had the same here. A company I had dealt for YEARS advertised Mosin's in their cataglog. Picture was a M44. Advert was "unissed".

I waited for MONTHS and eventually a 91/30 arrives which I was happy with as I thought that a better deal than the M44. The bore looked like a dry river bed. Unissued my big white ass!

I went back to the supplier and directed to our consumer fair practice rules. They said OK, send it back. I demanded they send me the courier prepaid ticket and they did. Apparently that was a national first for that store to pay the return freight!

Stick to your 'guns'. You've be shafted.

bcp477
09-04-2008, 09:21 PM
If it is, in fact, a TRUE "Khyber Pass" Enfield....you are much better off NOT being able to shoot it, regardless of the circumstances. So-called "Khyber Pass" copies of various firearms (usually, old British military weapons) are notorious for poor workmanship and substandard materials - often, scrap steel of unknown origin and alloy has been used for these, even ordinary mild steel, with no heat treating at all. As a result, it is generally considered that such weapons, though interesting from a collector's or historical viewpoint, should NOT be fired for safety reasons. Even if the rifle in question APPEARS to be well-made and well-finished.....it would be very wise NOT to trust it.

fireflyfather
09-05-2008, 01:25 AM
That's what an old tire, a dirt berm, a safety shield (like a brick wall!) and a LONG length of twine is for.

DanM
09-05-2008, 08:32 AM
There have been a bunch of these so called Khyber Pass Enfields on GB lately. What I have heard on other forums is that they are being knocked off somewhere and made to look old.

bcp477
09-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Of course, none of us can comment on the exact provenance of the rifle in question. However, consider that, of the multitude of weapons produced in the Northwest Frontier Province (the so-called "tribal areas") of Pakistan.....most are made in very primitive conditions, often without any proper machine tools....only relatively simple, converted devices (such as an old electric motor mounted to an improvised bench to serve as a lathe).....and a lot of hand effort with tools such as files. Also, there is absolutely NO facility for the production of steel, let alone high-quality steel, anywhere near this region. So, naturally, ANY gun produced there has always been considered HIGHLY suspect, however nice it might appear. On the positive side, this region is known for some interesting, highly decorated weapons, such as old rifles with silver inlay added in highly stylized patterns, etc. But, as I said before, IF this rifle was actually produced in the region described above......it is best used ONLY as a wall-hanger.

JSnover
09-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Soldier of Fortune magazine printed an article about the Khyber Pass weapons years ago. I'm surprised anyone would try to sell them as functional firearms. They are literally made by goatherders from old railroad tracks, clock springs, etc.

smokemjoe
09-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for ths information, I called Center Fire S. and they took it back and no restocking fee. 1 st. gun in 50 yeras I ever returned . Joe

HATCH
09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
CFS is pretty good on doing returns for items that aren't as described.
Keep in mind they have ALOT of stuff that ends up being not as described or atleast that is what I have read.

bcp477
09-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Now that I know of which vendor the rifle came from, I just checked Centerfire Systems website. On the page for the "Khyber Pass Enfield" they have a clear disclaimer posted about the methods of production and materials for these rifles - as well as a warning not to fire them. It also clearly states that these are for ".303 blackpowder" - so trying a smokeless powder round in such a rifle, even if everything else was up to snuff, would have been foolish, at best. If this disclaimer is new....and was not on the page when you bought the rifle in the first place, shame on them (CS). If, however, the disclaimer was there when you ordered the rifle.....well, then......it would be your misunderstanding.

Anyway, regardless, I am glad that they are taking the rifle back with no restocking fee. The website says that they are sold out, with no backorders taken anyway, so just as well.

Buckshot
09-10-2008, 04:17 AM
.................One of these, a Mk II Martini chambered 303 was fired some number of times with Brit surplus 303, (IIRC) about 40 before the barrel split. Not burst, but just began to give up the ghost in the chamber area.

There is a U-Tube video of the Khyber Pass 'Gunsmiths' at work. It is still amazing what they made with what they were using for tools.

...............Buckshot

smokemjoe
09-10-2008, 09:12 AM
This one was a 303 shortened down, necked down to .277 bore size, relined barrel, Some said it was rare gun in this cal. but I didnt want to be responable to what happened after it left my hands. I have gotten alot of C&Rs from C.F.S. and were very nice about it. Thanks . Joe