PDA

View Full Version : Mini Mortars

missionary5155
09-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Anybody launched any Mini-Mortars lately...
I came across a .50 caliber tracer M2 round about 3 yeras ago and initiated my wife in the intricacies of what bored "pickle suit" soilders did sometimes to keep the brain from going completely dry. I was sitting here and up popped that last opportinity. Gonna have to get some more for a rainy day ! :roll:

10-x
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
What memories this bring back...............when in RVN we had to demil claymores after they became "old". Remember prying them apart with my gerber , throwing the plastic mold with the 700 balls in it in a bucket and wading up the C-4.......used to get a ball of C-4 about 2' in DIA...........somehow small amounts of the C-4 got pinched off[smilie=1:[smilie=1:............When we got bored on weekends someone would come up with a few M-2 .50 Cal tracers...........the hole in the bumperett on the back of a "Duce-in -a half" is perfect to hold the projectile while one bends the case so the projectile and powder can be removed...............now a small ball of C-4 dropped into the case, resting on the primer, a layer of powder, then projectile and then the remainding powder on top is all you need.........you will learn quickly that you need a FLAT surface to set this off[smilie=1:[smilie=1:..............just light the powder with a cigarette and run............the C-4 and tracer element will send the projectile a few 100 feet into the air with a pretty loud bang..........loud bangs were not good then........but WTH.........GI's are going to have fun:drinks:

missionary5155
09-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Greetings 10X I was "armored" so we used the end connector hole (on the track) of our tanks to pry the tracer loose. We never used any C4 ... just dumped a palm full of propellent in the case .. cut the foil back off the tracer and reinserted to the bottom off the case and refilled the case with the propellant. We launched off the reardeck or dug a small hole in the dirt and burried the case about half way on windy days.

10-x
09-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Howdy missionary,
So you were a tanker, M-60's?
Worked on all of them as I was a 63H20.....liked the 551's as they had Detroit Diesels. If you knew how to they would run way over 50MPH!, you just did'nt want to throw a track at high speed.:(
We got away with doing a lot of things in RVN that would have gotten you an article 15 or worse in the states or Germany[smilie=1:
.50 Cal. tracers show up at gun shows quite often ....never thought of trying it again.

missionary5155
09-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Greetings 10X
Fort Hood 71-72 3-66 Armor got me started on M-60´s and A1´s... GREAT gunnery system ! Pop 2x4´s at a thousand all day long. WE had bunches of returnees from the "Nam" who had all sorts of "interesting" tanking and field practices. Mini mortars was one. Pull guard on an ammo dump and start looking for the .50 cal. Germany Christmas 72- Aug 74... it was abit more "cautious" launching tracers... but hard for anyone to prove if they did not have eyes on the AO. The Rads sold fireworks (BIG) stuff over the counter so there were all sorts of LEGAL options to play with. An inch diameter STAR rocket (civilian) out the main gun was a real surprise to the wobly pilots who got to close... but that had to be done real discreetly. A month before I ETSéd my track got a new M60A3 motor pack... Motor Oficer W-3 removed the govenor (at Graf) as he wanted to know how fast they really would go. Another TC and I took B-24 out the backgate to a range road. I took it to 40mph and bid it ever have the wobbles and shakes . The other TC drove back (slight down hill) and got 42mph ! I was up in the Tc cupalo and I was a bit concered as it felt B-24 was gonna roll over. Upon return the MO was thrilled ! Returned the govenor to specks and warned us to keep our mouths shut. He was a Fine MO anyway ! Really did our BN GOOD ! Our Motor Mechs did a Great job !

10-x
09-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Missionary,
Those were the days.................[smilie=1:
From RVN I got sent to Ft Bragg since the 82nd had the 551's....but you know how the Army works.......got stuck in a shop with a company of "newbies" rebuilding M 151 tranny's, differentials and transmissions.........talk about a sux job.
Then a job opened in the track section............got the slot by rank.......track section was several "shop trailers" way,way out back of the shops........found the trailer.......opened the door ....and there was a Spc 5 I worked with in RVN!!!!!what a time we had........But all good things come to an end..........another unit got our job......Fitz ETS'ed and I went back to the main shop.......until try outs for the pistol team opened..........rest was gravy:drinks:

deltaenterprizes
09-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Could some one explain launching mini mortars in a little more detail. It sounds like the primer is used to ingite and propel the projectile to make a low level light show.

missionary5155
09-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Ok Step by Step... and Pay attention TROOP !!
Get one each .50 cal M2 tracer round. Remove projectile. If you do not have a M60A1 tank or a "Deuce and a Half" handy try a pair of pliers.. vice.. do not get desperate and try your teeth. Having removed projectile, dump all the powder onto or into something as you will need it. On the base of the projectile you will see a copper colored piece of foil remove it.donotemove the powdery substance inside.. this is the tracer element. Place the projectile down. Now you need about a "cupped palm full of powder" but let me go measure my palm.. Well having done the scientific measurements it looks like about a TABLESPOON. The real kitchen cooking measuring type. Now dump that TABLESPOON of powder into the case. Insert the projectile base first (the normal direction) into the case ALL the WAY down into the case. Completely into the case so the bullet is down sitting on the Tablespoon of powder. Now fill the case with the remaining powder. The bullet should no longer be visible. Place the case on a hard flat surface but not something that has value.. ie the hood of your car. Or you can dig a small hole and semi-bury the case. Now withfire source ignite the powder in the case...it lites easier if the powder is heaped up in the case mouth... I have used matches..bic lighter.. Camels.. The powder ignites easily and you have about 5 seconds to get your body back a respecful distance.. think about lighting a LARGE 4th of July rocket. The powder will burn down into the case and the powder below the projectile will force the bullet up into the neck where it will momentaritly stick building some compression, igniting the tracer element, and launching your Mini- Mortar gloriously into the night air. There is no loud report as launching takes place. Just be careful that BIG slug has a safe place to reenter your AO (area of operations). That should getyou started... Do so at your own risk and property damage.

10-x
09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
If you have some C-4 handy, a small ball about 1/4 of a inch in diameter is added before the powder so it sits on top of the primer. C-4 is stable until lit or compressed kinda fast or in this case both(no pun intended)
As missionary says the powder burns down around the tracer, getting it hot also, till the C-4 is lit, then the primer goes off setting the C-4 off giving a little more"Bang for your buck" and of course the tracer is lit off.......kinda of a "Swusshing" noise without the C-4.............regardless its people real excited that don't know whats going on:-D

sav300
09-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Ok,will that work with 6.5 tracers on the same princible or case to long?
maybe fun

missionary5155
09-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Ok,will that work with 6.5 tracers on the same princible or case to long?
maybe fun

Do not Know ?? I have thought about 308 as I have a good supply of 308 tracer... but it will have to wait for me to get back up there (Illinois) to play with it. I would recommend using a fired case to start with as the neck would be already slightly expanded and not build any excessive presure.. Then try sizing may 1/3 of the neck to increase pressure. Powder below cartridge.. I would start with half a teaspoon , drop the tracer, then fill-er up to the neck . You can always add more powder below the tracer later. Again do not stand right close after lighting... I do not think it should react much differently than a cartridge tossed into a fire.... But do not take chances. :-D

10-x
09-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Seems it would work with any tracer......think I would use a fuse as small arms powder burns faster than .50 Cal?..........perhaps a good experiment.......223, 308 and 30.06.......not sure I should do it in my back yard......even if I know most of the LEO's.....still "in town"....[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

sav300
09-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Stand close??? no bloody way,was thinking of using cannon fuse.Fired case and large neck sounds like a good idea.Thanks.