PDA

View Full Version : Grips for large hands

megasupermagnum
03-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Lately I've been in search of a larger bore handgun, mostly for hunting medium game. I've tried a bunch, but I've really taking a liking to the S&W model 57 41 mag. I've tried to like the Ruger blackhawk, but I just cant seem to like it. I own a couple of Ruger double actions, I just can't seem to get the single action grip. It's supposed to roll in the hand, although to me all it does is make it feel unnatural. The super redhawk fits quite well, but its just such a bulky, and somewhat ugly thing. I never did find anyone with a redhawk, although they are huge too, they seem much more sleek. With that said, the S&W's are just a little too small in the grip for me. When I get a proper grip, the trigger ends up well in the last joint of my finger, rather than on the pad like it should. I am hoping somebody makes a set of grips that wrap around the frame, to increase the distance to the trigger. So far I've found nothing, and I'm not going to drop $900 on a handgun that doesn't fit.

shtur
03-15-2018, 01:55 PM
I shot bullseye pistol competition many years, and used to place my trigger finger like you mention- with the pad on the trigger. Look up Shooting Sports(NRA on line publication) articles by Brain Zins, the 12 time National Pistol Champion. He explains why you should place the finger differently on the trigger. You may already have the perfect gun, just not the perfect trigger placement.

megasupermagnum
03-15-2018, 02:50 PM
I shot bullseye pistol competition many years, and used to place my trigger finger like you mention- with the pad on the trigger. Look up Shooting Sports(NRA on line publication) articles by Brain Zins, the 12 time National Pistol Champion. He explains why you should place the finger differently on the trigger. You may already have the perfect gun, just not the perfect trigger placement.

I did find an article where he states to put the trigger in the joint, I also found this video where he says to change the grip to fit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWoJ2arPuI

I can try shooting with the joint of my finger some more, but it just seems wrong. I do it with my double action only, but that has a very narrow trigger, and it just feels right. I find it helps my finger roll around it better with the long trigger pull. With the something like 3/8" wide trigger of a smith and wesson double action, it is just weird feeling, especially shooting single action. If nothing else, I can always change the grips back, but for now I'm still looking for some that wrap around to increase the trigger distance.

30calflash
03-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Pachmayr Presentations may work, some models have a portion of the grip wrap around the back of the grip frame.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/618890/pachmayr-presentation-grips-s-and-w-k-l-frame-square-butt-rubber-black?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=Gunsmithing+-+Grips&utm_content=618890&cm_mmc=pf_ci_connexity-_-Gunsmithing+-+Grips-_-Pachmayr-_-618890

The backstrap ,looks covered as does the front strap.

IIRC some of the Pachmayr gripper models have the rubber wrap around the frame also.

HTH.

stubshaft
03-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Herret Shooting Stars! They give me something to hang on to.

megasupermagnum
03-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Those Herret shooting star grips are advertised as open back, so no benefit there. I did find these, which is what I'm looking for. Kinda ugly though, I'd prefer wood. Anyone ever try them?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/970681/pachmayr-diamond-pro-grip-rubber-black

redhawk0
03-15-2018, 06:05 PM
My Pachmayr grips on my Redhawk 44Mag wrap around the back. It clam-shells over the revolver frame from the rear and they meet on the finger grip side.

redhawk

c1skout
03-15-2018, 09:19 PM
I guess I've got big hands, 2xl in most gloves. I have Pachmayr grips on most of my guns, at least on the ones where I've changed grips! I've tried Hogues a couple of times but ended up taking them back off.
The factory grip on a Blackhawk doesn't work well for me either, it's ok on a single six, but for ruger-level 45s I got a Pachmayr presentation grip and it makes the gun fit me, I can even get my little finger on.
The ugly of the grip doesn't bother me.

tigweldit
03-15-2018, 10:06 PM
Size "Large" Well's leather gloves are a tight, but doable, fit for me. I have had Pachmayr wrap around finger groves grips on my M57 6" for over 25 years. With the wide target trigger on the M57, those grips fell real good to me. With 210 grain SHC bullets and a case full of 296, I am comfortable harvesting large game out to 150+ yards. With cast boolets and 8 grains of Unique, those grips are comfortable for several boxes of target or plinking in a single outing.

tigweldit
03-15-2018, 10:12 PM
MY M57 is one of three .41 Mag pistols I have. If you decide to go with a .41 Mag, I don't think you will regret it. I like magnum handguns, I like my .41's the best.

megasupermagnum
03-15-2018, 10:34 PM
MY M57 is one of three .41 Mag pistols I have. If you decide to go with a .41 Mag, I don't think you will regret it. I like magnum handguns, I like my .41's the best.

I have been loading for both 41 and 44 mag. I love the model 57, and while the 29 is fine, I think there are better 44's out there. If I went to the super redhawk, it's such a massive gun, it just seems overkill for 41 mag. And this is coming from a guy who barely recognizes the term overkill. If I got a super redhawk, I'd have to really give a look to the 480 ruger. I've got a load worked up in the 41 of a 230 grain SWC ahead of 13 grains of Blue dot (I'm aware of the Alliant warnings), and even with my measly skill, I'm shooting 3" groups no problem at 50 yards from a rest. This is an unmodified model 57 6" barrel, the only change being some finger groove grips. It's just a great shooting, trim, comparatively light gun. I wear size 2XL gloves and they fit nice and snug. My fingers are not super long, my hands are just big. If I get a strong grip on the model 57, I am close to being able to pull the trigger with the pad of my middle joint. A more natural grip has the trigger smack in the middle of the last joint. I've seen a couple grips now that go all the way around, I'm sure something will work for me.

contender1
03-16-2018, 12:08 AM
I have a custom set of Ruger SA handgun grips that are oversized. A bit "ugly" in my eyes,, and I had plans to sell them. Any interest? If so, I'll see if I can find them in whatever box I stored them in. I'll let them go cheap,, especially to help a shooter. If interested, I can take pictures once I find them.

megasupermagnum
03-16-2018, 12:46 AM
I have a custom set of Ruger SA handgun grips that are oversized. A bit "ugly" in my eyes,, and I had plans to sell them. Any interest? If so, I'll see if I can find them in whatever box I stored them in. I'll let them go cheap,, especially to help a shooter. If interested, I can take pictures once I find them.

I do not own a blackhawk, so I'll have to pass. Thanks though.

contender1
03-16-2018, 09:54 AM
No problem. I just know I got them on a gun, they are longer, and made to fit a bigger hand. Not fancy wood, or "high quality" customs,,, just very usable grips. I figured somebody with big hands would come along someday needing a cheap set. Even a set they can whittle to fit their hands & not feel bad about doing so.

I think Herret or Hogue used to offer to make custom grips off a tracing of your hand. Maybe a polite email to them could get you a response to fill your needs?

As an instructor,, I always tell students to get a gun that "fit's your hands" as we all are a little different. And "off the rack" doesn't work for everybody.

nicholst55
03-16-2018, 10:30 AM
If you have huge hands and want grips for an 'N' frame S&W, look at the Herrett's Jordan Trooper grips. They're made to fit your hand, and they cover the backstrap. They are also available with finger grooves, if that's what you desire. They were also designed with magnum revolvers specifically in mind.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/jordontp.htm

megasupermagnum
03-16-2018, 02:36 PM
If you have huge hands and want grips for an 'N' frame S&W, look at the Herrett's Jordan Trooper grips. They're made to fit your hand, and they cover the backstrap. They are also available with finger grooves, if that's what you desire. They were also designed with magnum revolvers specifically in mind.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/jordontp.htm

Now that is exactly to a T, what I have been looking for. Thanks a lot for the heads up. I think I've got my mind set on a S&W model 57 classic. Thanks guys.

357Mag
03-17-2018, 10:41 AM
Mega -

Howdy !

I have fairly large hands myself.

The "K" and "L"-frame 'Smiths have too small of grip frames, as regards best fit for me.

I have carried and shot "N" frame .357Mag for 40+yr.

*** The best grips I've found to meet my concealed carry/shooting needs are custom Herrett's " Jordan Trooper " stocks.

I wore out the first pair I had made, and those were Walnut.

My current second pair are Goncalo Alves.

I am carrying/shooting a square-butt 4" M-520, that has been customized w/ a heavy 4" bull barrel.

Prior to this gun, I was using a 4" M-58, that I had converted over to .357Mag w/ a heavy 4" bull barrel also.

With regards,
357Mag

Beerd
03-20-2018, 09:23 PM
At one time Pachmayr made a Jordan style grip like one from Herrett except they were made of a hard plastic (today I suppose it would be polymer). I have a set on my S&W 66 that I like.

Oklahoma Rebel
03-20-2018, 10:56 PM
hey, megasuperduperbiggerthanyoursmagnum! lol, I bought a lb of blue dot to load in my 44 mag SBH bisley hunter 7.5" ( haven't yet) and I am using 275gr ( true weight) keith style noe's.... what warnings did you hear about blue dot, just would like to know before I get started. planned load is 15 grs. thanks!

megasupermagnum
03-20-2018, 11:34 PM
hey, megasuperduperbiggerthanyoursmagnum! lol, I bought a lb of blue dot to load in my 44 mag SBH bisley hunter 7.5" ( haven't yet) and I am using 275gr ( true weight) keith style noe's.... what warnings did you hear about blue dot, just would like to know before I get started. planned load is 15 grs. thanks!

Nothing for 44 mag, Alliant has for almost 10 years said no Blue dot in 41 mag, no exceptions. The newer Blue dot seems to be a little faster than the old stuff. In shotguns, I've found absolutely zero difference in velocity, but in handguns, it can be an issue. I've been using the old starting loads, as new maximums, although you can go a little higher. Apparently Alliant decided the 44 mag data was safe, and the 41 mag data was not. Then they never tested new data.

45workhorse
03-20-2018, 11:47 PM
Take a look at company by the name of https://www.altamontco.com/

The make nice grips and reasonably price.

I like mine on Rugers, haven't tried on a Smith..

Thor's Daddy
03-20-2018, 11:53 PM
If you're cheap, Pachmayr Presentations. If you're classy, Keith Brown (https://keith-brown-lprw.squarespace.com/). FWIW, Keith will cut the grips to fit your hand. Can't get much better than that...

Oklahoma Rebel
03-21-2018, 04:27 PM
mega, I am shooting 275gr ( actual weight) keith style boolits out of my SBH bisley hunter, and I was thinking 15 grains would be a good charge, hoping for maybe 1100-1200 max fps, what do you think?

megasupermagnum
03-21-2018, 07:03 PM
mega, I am shooting 275gr ( actual weight) keith style boolits out of my SBH bisley hunter, and I was thinking 15 grains would be a good charge, hoping for maybe 1100-1200 max fps, what do you think?

That is not a combo I have tried. I see no reason you won't get that velocity relatively easy. I would actually think 15 grains would be above 1200 fps, depending on barrel length. One thing to note with Bluedot is that it likes pressure. I don't know what the threshold is, but too far below starting loads it will have rather large velocity spreads and have un-burned powder.They can still be accurate though. I am loading slightly below starting loads in 41 mag, but Alliant has never said any 44 mag data was unsafe. Once you get into Bluedot's range, the stuff is fantastic. Contrary to popular belief, I've found it to be clean burning, and it burns up in the barrel, so muzzle flash is much less than say H110. I use regular primers most of the time. Slightly unrelated, Federal SP provides a higher velocity than CCI SPM in my 327 federal with Bluedot, everything else the same, so "magnum" does not necessarily mean more. Unfortunately the 44 mag I was about to try out has a problem. Once fixed, I'm hoping to try some bluedot behind a big SWC.

Oklahoma Rebel
03-21-2018, 10:26 PM
wwell, in lymans 3rd, the min load is 14 max 16 for a 265 gr saeco boolit, but it has a bit more bearing surface than the keith style, so I am sure it is fine, that and the devastator info goes to 15 or 15.5 max, and it usually weighs 275 by the time its checked and lubed. I will see if it burns clean at 14grs, if not I will bump up .5grs at a time. I am running a SBH bisley hunter, with a 7.5" bbl. I will let you know when I load some up, most off my brass is full of 296 for now, but I am doing some shooting tomorrow, so that will " make " some new cases!

megasupermagnum
03-22-2018, 01:07 AM
wwell, in lymans 3rd, the min load is 14 max 16 for a 265 gr saeco boolit, but it has a bit more bearing surface than the keith style, so I am sure it is fine, that and the devastator info goes to 15 or 15.5 max, and it usually weighs 275 by the time its checked and lubed. I will see if it burns clean at 14grs, if not I will bump up .5grs at a time. I am running a SBH bisley hunter, with a 7.5" bbl. I will let you know when I load some up, most off my brass is full of 296 for now, but I am doing some shooting tomorrow, so that will " make " some new cases!

I just checked an old Lyman manual. It has a 275 grain cast bullet listed, and for blue dot, start 13.2gr @ 685 fps, and max 16.7gr @ 991 fps. Those charges seem ok, but that velocity is bogus. Just for comparison, that same bullet lists a max load of 4227 of 23gr @ 1027 fps. Looking on Hodgdon website has the same weight bullet and 4227 max 22.5gr @ 1425 fps. With a 7.5" barrel, you should have no problem at all reaching 1100 fps, Blue dot is not that much faster than 2400.

Oklahoma Rebel
03-22-2018, 02:05 PM
mega, yeah, lol, that seems a wee bit off. maybe they were using a 2 inch barrel? thanks for the advice. I am going to do like I said above, start at 14, and use it if it burns clean, if not, i'll go up a bit.. I have also been wanting to try 4227, but keep hearing it is dirty. would using cci350's instead of 300's help it burn? the reason for wanting to try it is supposedly it can be more accurate than 296/110. thanks again bud!

megasupermagnum
03-22-2018, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't be the guy to ask about primers, I have not played around with different primers and powders enough to know. I think you would have to go below starting loads to even have to worry about problems with Blue dot. I only mentioned it in case you start very low and work up, for different calibers, odd bullets, etc. 44 mag is a very well known cartridge with lots of data for Blue dot though, so no worry. I'd bet 14 grains would be a nice shooting load. You can try both primers, but if you are like me, the velocity difference is negligible, and I can't shoot nearly good enough to see any difference in accuracy. I do find Blue dot to provide great accuracy, although I don't ever go far enough for pressure signs if I can help it. A lot of guys say H110 is THE powder for accurate max power loads. Maybe I just flinch more with it, but I've never found it to be all that. I actually like working with Lil' Gun better, and find it suitable for most things H110 is. H110 is so fine, it locks up my powder measure, and for some reason sticks to everything. I Never tried 4227, but for 44 mag I'd be more inclined to use that than H110. If you ever tried 2400, I think you will like Blue dot. Blue dot works great in shotguns and rifles too.

Oklahoma Rebel
03-23-2018, 06:58 PM
I have had bullseye stick to everything, and I've never tried h110, but luckily with 296, it doesn't stick, or even "cut" powder in my measure ( lyman 55). that's good to know that blue dot should be good at that power level. I am not trying to get a low velocity load, just a practice load that's easier on powder consumption, and if I can get close enough to the velocity of my 296 loads (1250-1300) with blue dot (maybe 1150?) I can practice with hopefully close to the same point of aim. anyways that's what I am after... we'll see. i'll keep you updated! P.S. I only have one boolit mold, the noe 432-277 keith so they will be the same in any powder I use!

iomskp
03-23-2018, 08:10 PM
I like larger pistol I found the S&W model 28 suited me I fitted a set of Hogue couldn't be happier.

Regards Trevor