PDA

View Full Version : German Cut Flints verses English Knapped Flints

rudyc
03-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Howdy,

Been thinking about trying some German Cut flints. I have had good luck with the knapped ones, just want to try the cut flints. Anyone here used both?? If so,, what's your feelings about both?

toot
03-15-2018, 02:37 PM
they were really tough on my frizzen, rely cut it up and gouged it. don't like them. and they don't knap very well at least for me.

FrontierMuzzleloading
03-15-2018, 03:16 PM
that means your frizzen is soft.

KCSO
03-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Tried them and don't like them. Easier for me to resharpen the English flints or the home made ones. Not as many shots to the dollar with the cut ones.

stubshaft
03-15-2018, 05:05 PM
I've had good luck with the German flints and find them slightly above the English. However I find the French Amber to be the best of all.

Edward
03-15-2018, 06:20 PM
I've had good luck with the German flints and find them slightly above the English. However I find the French Amber to be the best of all. I"m a fan of French amber flints but that"s it ! American fries for me :bigsmyl2:

mazo kid
03-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Like Edward I prefer French amber flints; there is an ongoing debate as to whether the French amber or English black flints are best. I guess it all boils down to what works best for you. I bought a dozen hand knapped flints from Missouri chert (USA!) that work great! I didn't know you could knap cut (sawn) flints? Maybe a silicon carbide grinding wheel would re-sharpen them? Anyway, I have never used cut flints and never will after talking with friends that tried them.

RU shooter
03-16-2018, 08:59 AM
I'm also in the USA made knapped chert camp I get just as many shots from the grey ,tan ,or white chert as I do from the black English and they are generally cheaper too . Honestly never tried the German ones but can't see them working any better than any thing else I've tried

rudyc
03-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have also used the white MO chert from Rich Pierce and they do spark like crazy. Never used the French Amber flints, where can a fella pick some of them up?

waksupi
03-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have also used the white MO chert from Rich Pierce and they do spark like crazy. Never used the French Amber flints, where can a fella pick some of them up?

I've used Rich's flints, and bless him for making them available. However I did find they really wear a frizzen, so I keep them for emergency use only.

Edward
03-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Track of the Wolf/Ed

rfd
03-18-2018, 08:25 AM
i prefer english black flints as "fine" (thin, with single edge) over the "common" (thick, with double edge). i've gone through a lot of french amber flints and the english i get through TOTW are just better (you can specify the "fine" type when ordering). cut flints just suk, for me.

Flintlock1812
03-18-2018, 09:32 AM
I don't like the cut flints either. I use both the English black and french amber flints.

rfd
03-18-2018, 09:36 AM
after the english black, and the french amber, i like american texas gray chert. sometimes i like it best of all ...

Nit Wit
03-18-2018, 10:27 AM
I like French amber and black English, never cared for cut flint!
Nit Wit