PDA

View Full Version : Thanks guys

Aodmelter
03-14-2018, 02:30 AM
Newbie on here this is an awesome site with an unbelievable amount of information I have been trying to get my 9mm to shoot cast for a while now and finally got it figured out because of all the posted information thanks again guys. It ended up being undersized bullets and to soft of lead she shoots like a dream now!

daloper
03-14-2018, 06:21 AM
Welcome to the group. Glad that you were able to get your problem figured out. I know that I was able to do the same by gleaming through the posts. A lot of info here and many that will share.

Outer Rondacker
03-14-2018, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the fun house.

William Yanda
03-14-2018, 08:03 AM
Look out, you will be enabled.

jdfoxinc
03-14-2018, 10:08 AM
The addiction caught another one.

Grmps
03-14-2018, 12:12 PM
Welcome to CB Aodmelter, you licked one of the hardest pistol calibers to get right. the tapered case really throws things off.

As you've discovered, with cast boolits it's all about size, alloy, and velocity.

this might help in the future.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356846-Predicted-Physical-Characteristics-of-Bullets-Cast-in-Various-Alloys

dondiego
03-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Welcome to CB Aodmelter, you licked one of the hardest pistol calibers to get right. the tapered case really throws things off.

As you've discovered, with cast boolits it's all about size, alloy, and velocity.

this might help in the future.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356846-Predicted-Physical-Characteristics-of-Bullets-Cast-in-Various-Alloys

I agree, if you can effectively load cast 9MM, the rest of the pistol rounds are a piece of cake. Go for the rifle cartridges next. 30-30 is a good one to start with.......or 45-70!

Aodmelter
03-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys it was a long road because I would make a long run of the wrong size then remelt them then it was a long run of the wrong alloy remelt them!! I guess I jumped the gun and didn’t test enough! But I couldn’t help myself thanks again guys

Wayne Smith
03-14-2018, 04:00 PM
You are throughly hooked! Now that you have mastered the 9mm you have graduated - many other cartridges will be easy for you, just apply what you have learned mastering the 9mm.

Grmps
03-14-2018, 04:46 PM
In the beginning, it didn't matter what I cast, just as long as I was casting :) it's addictive / frustrating / relaxing / rewarding all at the same time.

RogerDat
03-15-2018, 05:22 AM
Thanks guys it was a long road because I would make a long run of the wrong size then remelt them then it was a long run of the wrong alloy remelt them!! I guess I jumped the gun and didn’t test enough! But I couldn’t help myself thanks again guys

Well of course "do overs" for the win! It is the beauty of casting, if it isn't right then melt it down and try again. Just like knitting but less hassle to take it back to raw materials. :-)

Can be an enjoyable and addictive puzzle getting it to all come together in a good load for your firearm but once you have that recipe it's yours. Along with the knowledge you learned solving this puzzle that you can use for the next puzzle.

I would second the idea of making your next project load a rifle, unless you have another hand gun with costly ammo that prevents enjoying it or developing a proficiency with shooting it. Cost of store bought to support shooting habit makes the effort of working out a successful load even more rewarding.

30-30 is a good choice, as are the military surplus rifle rounds such as 303 British and Mauser calibers. And the Mosin's too. Replacing expensive store bought ammo is a win and cast to fit bullets can improve the accuracy of these old "war horses" a significant amount. Oh and loading as a milder plinking load can make for a more enjoyable day at the range than the full power military loads.

If a box of ammo cost $25 - $40 and the dies and mold cost $65 - $120 with materials running 12 cents a round.... yep,works for me. Of course then you will want to try 4 other molds, shoot 3x a week and drop $200 on a "good deal" for a bunch of lead so all savings go out the window but it makes the addiction seem so much more reasonable to focus on the savings.

LenH
03-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Welcome to the addiction, Aodmelter. Another one in the clutches of bullet casting.

I always tell people in the casting world, FIT IS KING all else is secondary.

I had a guy tell me once that you don't really save money but you get to shoot more. Either way it looks like you are hooked.