PDA

View Full Version : Airgun pellets

Avery Arms
09-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Anyone try casting them?

I am trying to figure a way to make some using a .25 auto bullet mold.

The mold will probably throw bullets around .252 diameter and 51g in weight.

Ideally I need to end up with pellets .248 in diameter and 25-35g in weight

Ideas?

BTW the test subject is a large Beeman kodiak .25 and should be able to launch anything within reason.

PP

carpetman
09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Packin Plastic---A few years ago there was group buy on a .177 mold. This was about a 25 grain bullet and at that weight this bullet was going to carry forever and bring down grizz and capes with no problem. Well ok,might have been squirrels. Anyways the bullet tumbled. Some guy from South of here posted he got good results shooting them backwards. I tried that too and didnt get good accuracy nor penetration either. (Dick Cheny tried it and wounded a couple onlookers that were in the crowd behind him) Even if it had worked as planned for .17 cal pellets I dont see that it would be worth the effort--.25 cal might be another story.

Trapshooter
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
A while back, I bought a 25 auto, and was looking for commercial cast bullets since I didn't have a mold. I contacted National Bullet, and spoke with a fellow there who said they cast thousands of 25 bullets, molly coated them, and shipped them to Japan for air gun users. They worked ok (for a 25 auto) for me.

I don't know what kind of air guns they were using in Japan, but maybe the heavier projectile would work for you too.

Trapshooter

richbug
09-04-2008, 01:58 PM
I contacted National Bullet, and spoke with a fellow there who said they cast thousands of 25 bullets, molly coated them, and shipped them to Japan for air gun users.

Odds are that if it came out of the mouth of someone from National Bullet it was a lie.

I think you are going to need a hollow base bullet to work well in an air gun. Think of a tiny foster style slug.

Springfield
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
I sold a bunch of Big Lube(tm) BP type bullets to some 45 caliber airgunners. I used pure lead and they had great results, went hunting pigs and wild sheep with them. The very large lube groove helped keep the friction down to tolerable levels. Seemed to work better without lube, it just gummed up the gun.

Avery Arms
09-04-2008, 06:37 PM
.177 pellets would really be a waste of time, the daisy wadcutters are only $2.90/K wholesale

OTOH .25 pellets start at almost 13X that much or around $37.50/K

It is no wonder the 25g .177 pellets tumbled, they were 3 times heavier than normal and almost any weapon will tumble bullets that are 3X heavier than normal.

Commercial .25 bullets range from 17 to 43 grains which is why I'm hoping I can get by using some form of handcast bullets. My reasoning isn't really to save the $.04 each but rather the satisfaction of doing it myself, and to a lesser extent the comfort in knowing I will never, ever run out of pellets.

PP