PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Solder Bars

megasupermagnum
03-13-2018, 12:48 AM
I had my eye on these supposed 95/5 solder bars for a while now, but never could figure out exactly what they were. I finally decided to take the risk, as buying tin for $20 a pound or 95/5 solder rolls for $18 a pound is not my favorite. It was $99 with free shipping for 10 bars. I received 10 bars for a total of 8 pounds 13 ounces. Not bad so far. The bars are stamped only "95/5 TA". Nothing else is in the box. I've not tried to melt these yet. Does anyone have any more info on what these are? I'd like to find out soon, just in case I need to send them back.

Beagle333
03-13-2018, 12:53 AM
I believe those are 95/5 tin/antimony, also known as "Superflow", used for copper joints.

megasupermagnum
03-13-2018, 01:03 AM
It seems obvious now. TA... tin/antimony. I see no reason to think they are anything but real 95/5. It seems like a sweet deal at about $11.25 a pound, I may have to get another pack.

Beagle333
03-13-2018, 01:22 AM
Just in case, I'd use one of em, or part of it, to make up a pot of alloy and test 'er out before investing too much. I'm always skeptical of that auction site.

megasupermagnum
03-13-2018, 01:35 AM
Just in case, I'd use one of em, or part of it, to make up a pot of alloy and test 'er out before investing too much. I'm always skeptical of that auction site.

I am too, and the deal seems too good when NOTHING else comes close in price. It is certainly hard, it's clearly not 60/40 or the likes. I'll try and make a micro batch and test hardness.

I did the math, and I should be able to make over 500 pounds of my preferred casting alloy, which would serve me a long time.

Mr_Sheesh
03-13-2018, 02:17 AM
500 Pounds, so a whole week or so? LOL :)

Toymaker
03-13-2018, 08:21 AM
Yep, Superflow. Tin/Antimony alloy. To check do you have anyplace you can get it xrayed?

http://www.bellmanmelcor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/955TA.pdf

Deadeye Bly
03-13-2018, 08:34 AM
Don't buy solder bars on ebay unless they are clearly marked as to content such as 50/50, 60/40, etc.. I once bought some that was supposed to be 50/50 and it was not. I was lucky enough to pick up 37 bars of 50/50 last fall for $60, not on ebay. Those will last me for a while.

megasupermagnum
03-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Don't buy solder bars on ebay unless they are clearly marked as to content such as 50/50, 60/40, etc.. I once bought some that was supposed to be 50/50 and it was not. I was lucky enough to pick up 37 bars of 50/50 last fall for $60, not on ebay. Those will last me for a while.

Is just a simple 95/5 TA stamp good enough, or should I be looking for something else?

As for 500 pounds lasting a while, I don't have 500 pounds of lead to go with this tin. I've managed to pick up a 5 gallon bucket worth of wheel weights last year, and nobody else was willing to deal. I must have used around 100 pounds of lead last year, and gained maybe 50 of usable metal. Not good. I am going to increase my searching range this year.

lightman
03-13-2018, 02:03 PM
That sounds like a good score on the solder. As to your lead stock, just be patient. Learn as much as you can about the products that once were made from lead and never quit looking. Also, ask your friends, family members and co-workers to be on the lookout.

megasupermagnum
03-13-2018, 02:42 PM
That sounds like a good score on the solder. As to your lead stock, just be patient. Learn as much as you can about the products that once were made from lead and never quit looking. Also, ask your friends, family members and co-workers to be on the lookout.

I know, and as far as Minnesota goes, I'm in a good area for scrap. The real killer is Minnesota banned lead wheel weights a couple years ago. I've managed to find a bucket here and there, but I only got about 1/3rd of a bucket of lead.

triggerhappy243
03-13-2018, 03:15 PM
melt down a B.B. size drop and send it to bne for testing. he will tell you exactly what the makeup is.

megasupermagnum
03-13-2018, 07:08 PM
melt down a B.B. size drop and send it to bne for testing. he will tell you exactly what the makeup is.

Is that a user or a company? How much does it cost?

lightman
03-13-2018, 08:28 PM
BNE is a member here. He ask for a pound of lead per sample to be tested. He's a great guy and usually has a fast response time.

triggerhappy243
03-13-2018, 08:50 PM
lightman is 100 percent correct, and the most efficient way to learn exactly what is in your lead.

bangerjim
03-13-2018, 09:39 PM
Legit solder bars are CLEARLY marked - or actually CAST in the bar - of the actual content of Pb/Sn/Sb........

The 4 dozen or so I have are CLEARLY silk screened on the bars as to the content. The other 60 I have are actually cast in the bar as to the % mix. There is no way the evilBay scammers can cheat you on those!!!!!!!

Know B4 you buy on evilbay. I do not trust anyone on ebay these daze. I trust 110% the good folks on here! This is a good honest tight-nit community and anyone scamming is gone in a heartbeat. Get your Pb and alloy here. Not evilBay.

Banger

megasupermagnum
03-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Legit solder bars are CLEARLY marked - or actually CAST in the bar - of the actual content of Pb/Sn/Sb........

The 4 dozen or so I have are CLEARLY silk screened on the bars as to the content. The other 60 I have are actually cast in the bar as to the % mix. There is no way the evilBay scammers can cheat you on those!!!!!!!

Know B4 you buy on evilbay. I do not trust anyone on ebay these daze. I trust 110% the good folks on here! This is a good honest tight-nit community and anyone scamming is gone in a heartbeat. Get your Pb and alloy here. Not evilBay.

Banger

No offense to this site, but I'd go poor if I purchased all my supplies here. You can trust them, but still, $18 a pound for tin, $16+ for pewter, $1-$1.50 for various lead. I spent my money, took a chance. I purchased from a seller with high ratings on ebay. I had to try something, you have to really hunt for a roll of solder or tin under $20, and that's just way too much IMO.

The bars are clearly marked, but they are stamped. Anyone could have done it.

bangerjim
03-13-2018, 11:12 PM
I just support the people on here when I need certain things. There are those on here that have a heck of a time finding Pb and alloy at local scrap yards and this is THE place for good deals. They may not be there at the exact split second you may need it, but in the long run, people on here have fair prices. Just keep a “weather eye” out for what you need! You cannot beat good clean fluxed pewter and lead ingots listed on here.

bumpo628
03-14-2018, 02:02 AM
You could bend a bar and listen for the tin "cry".
Not sure if a thick bar would make the noise, but it's worth a try.

If you melt a stick down into ingots or buttons, they should have a gold color from the tin.

megasupermagnum
03-14-2018, 02:13 AM
You could bend a bar and listen for the tin "cry".
Not sure if a thick bar would make the noise, but it's worth a try.

If you melt a stick down into ingots or buttons, they should have a gold color from the tin.

I could bend them if I tried, but they are very hard. If they are anything but 95/5, its not lead.

Sawdust
03-14-2018, 12:28 PM
They sure look like a Johnson solder bar to me.

megasupermagnum
03-26-2018, 06:56 PM
I got the results back from BNE.

Your sample tested as
99.7% Sn
0.3% Pb

Nearly pure tin for just over $11 a pound.

lightman
03-26-2018, 08:29 PM
That is really good news for you! Nice Score!

CraigOK
03-26-2018, 10:06 PM
I got the results back from BNE.

Your sample tested as
99.7% Sn
0.3% Pb

Nearly pure tin for just over $11 a pound.

thats great, but they arent what they were marketed as. Makes me wonder if each bar was tested or a sample bought every 6 months how they might vary.

But that is a good price for tin. Super glad it worked out for you

megasupermagnum
03-27-2018, 01:48 AM
It does make a guy wonder. Handling each bar, they all seem to make the same ring. They won't be around for long, I'm going to turn them into a 94/6 bismuth/tin alloy for making shot.

USSR
03-27-2018, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up, megasupermagnum. I found that eBay auction and bought some myself. Screaming deal.

Don

RogerDat
03-27-2018, 07:08 PM
I'm not sure what deals on this site have pewter for $16+ a pound. More like $8 per pound is typical. COWW's or plain lead around $1 per pound plus shipping of around $13 is pretty common too. Range lead is often offered at around $1 a pound +/- a touch after shipping. Linotype around $2 per pound plus shipping, maybe even a touch less. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you got a really good deal from Ebay but the prices I saw mentioned in this thread were higher than I have seen most alloys going for here.

Heck if I knew folks were buying pewter for $16 per pound I would have offered some for sale. Heck I bet bangerjim might even have parted with some of his stash of wave solder if he hasn't shot it all into a berm someplace. Last time I looked I would rather have the 5# of pewter than the money it would fetch at what it was going for. At $16 that whole idea changes. I start thinking about what I could buy with the money :-)

megasupermagnum
03-27-2018, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure what deals on this site have pewter for $16+ a pound. More like $8 per pound is typical. COWW's or plain lead around $1 per pound plus shipping of around $13 is pretty common too. Range lead is often offered at around $1 a pound +/- a touch after shipping. Linotype around $2 per pound plus shipping, maybe even a touch less. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you got a really good deal from Ebay but the prices I saw mentioned in this thread were higher than I have seen most alloys going for here.

Heck if I knew folks were buying pewter for $16 per pound I would have offered some for sale. Heck I bet bangerjim might even have parted with some of his stash of wave solder if he hasn't shot it all into a berm someplace. Last time I looked I would rather have the 5# of pewter than the money it would fetch at what it was going for. At $16 that whole idea changes. I start thinking about what I could buy with the money :-)

Well, I ended up buying 28# of 60/40 solder for $80 shipped on this site, so that pretty well took care of that. I've got a lead on a local scrap yard with wheel weights, so we will see how many lead ones I get out of that. I like the tin rich alloys, but this should keep me shooting for at least a few years. I needed some lead free for making shot, but after alloying, that .3% lead will be undetectable by any DNR, if it would even show up now.

marek313
04-05-2018, 04:44 PM
Just looking at these prices makes me want to go to my scrap yard and see if I can score some more lino, 50/50 bars or 60/40 solder. If I'm lucky I can buy as much as I want for $0.85/lb. Maybe not the best price for lead but I do find a lot of other goodies I even found some babbitt in there one time. Got 2 lino pigs one day which put a smile on my face :)
Dont give up and keep looking you'll run into something sooner or later.