PDA

View Full Version : Dillon users, do you have an answer for Lee 38 S&W insert to expand 9mm cases?

remy3424
03-11-2018, 06:58 PM
I left this post in the original thread here where the insert in the Lee 9mm powder through expander die was placed with a 38 S&W insert to open the case up "deeper" to avoid the case swagging down the boolit diameter...

....I have used the Lee 38 S&W insert with the Lee 9mm expander die in my turret press with great results. I just acquired a Dillon 550B. Is Dillon or anyone else making a Dillon compatible powder funnel (expander) with the Lee 38 S&W profile for Dillon powder dumpers? I really wanted to set-up my 550B for 9mm and retain the auto powder dumper, but it might have to set it up for 45ACP (order conversion kit and things for large primers). I haven't tried the supplied 9mm funnel with it, but it looks like it is longer than the Lee 9mm expander but not the .3" length of the 38 S&W....

The Dillon funnel (expander) looks to reach about .15" into the case, so I think I will be back to having the case swag down the boolit diameter. I size to .358 for my XDM. I saw some Dillon guys in the original thread, but they didn't seem to have the answer I seek. Any Dillon guys tackle a modification like this yet? It looks like it could be as easy as machining the furnished funnel...not that that would be easy for me. This Dillon is set-up for 9mm, I shoot more 9mm than 45ACP, so I really would like this to work for 9mm.

remy3424
03-11-2018, 07:33 PM
OK, I should have spend a little time before posting. The first thread I read after posting "Researching progressive press options" has Adam20, wv109323 and ILcoyotehunter telling me to find lathesmith or other commercial vends here doing what I need. I have been away for a long time and need to get caught on things!! This site is a wealth of information and experiences from folks that have "been there and done that". Thanks!

jmorris
03-11-2018, 07:33 PM
The Dillon 9mm expander is deeper than the diameter on the SD, 550 and 650 powder funnels.

Like the one in the photo on the left here.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/powder-funnels_8_49_25279.html

Lots deeper than the Lee 9mm powder die.

remy3424
03-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Last update....found Lathesmith in the vender section, there is even a thread on exactly what I need!!!! Thanks again!!

remy3424
03-11-2018, 07:44 PM
The funnel I need should look like the one in the jmorris post from Dillon's site, the one I have with my Dillon is only about half the length going into the case.

CraigOK
03-11-2018, 08:18 PM
I thought I read a post from a dillon rep saying they had a powder funnel that was similar to the M die, but I could just be wrong

ioon44
03-12-2018, 07:39 AM
One other thing to look at is the sizing die and what the ID of the case is after full length sizing. I had one die that was leaving the case with .350" ID, this had a lot to do with the bullet being swagged after loading.

sigep1764
03-14-2018, 02:23 AM
When Lathesmith made my 9mm funnel, I sent him the 38SW funnel and my stock 9mm funnel. I wanted the reach of the 38 plug on that funnel, but needed its body to be the length of the 9mm and wide enough to seat the cast boolit I was using. Works perfectly, but with it being wider, I wipe a dab of oil on the plug to keep things from getting sticky.