PDA

View Full Version : .58 Cal Confederate Gardner Bullet Mold

noonanda
03-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Crossposted from NOE forum

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Years ago Dean Thomas had built for him a reproduction of the Confederate Gardner machine. he also had a custom nose pour mold made.

If you are not familiar with it, it had a lead "flange" that as the bullet was formed after casting would cause it to grip the paper that would hold the powder. It was a good idea in theory but the field use showed that it weakened the paper and it would rip where the bullet began spilling powder.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, while at a Relic show I found a unformed and formed bullet made from this mold. As both a Civil war Nut, Relic hunter, Black powder shooter, and Bullet caster, I snagged it up as I had been looking for an example to potentially have a mold made.

Is there Anyone else interested in possibly getting a mold made? I will send in these 2 examples for measurements. I will also send in a actual dug Civil war Gardner for original measurements as well.

noonanda
02-03-2019, 06:36 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Years ago Dean Thomas had built for him a reproduction of the Confederate Gardner machine. he also had a custom nose pour mold made.

If you are not familiar with it, it had a lead "flange" that as the bullet was formed after casting would cause it to grip the paper that would hold the powder. It was a good idea in theory but the field use showed that it weakened the paper and it would rip where the bullet began spilling powder.

Last year while at a Relic show I found a unformed and formed bullet made from this mold. As both a Civil war Nut, Relic hunter, Black powder shooter, and Bullet caster, I snagged it up as I had been looking for an example to potentially have a mold made.

I am sending out the 2 examples for measurements and a actual dug Civil war Gardner for original measurements. No more delays, They mail out tomorrow 4 Feb 2019 to NOE.

I know there was interest in Getting molds made, is there Still interest? Anyone else interested in possibly getting a mold made?

I am looking at possibly 2-3 versions of the mold. Looking for interest in these:
Version 1: Gardner external dimensions, ready for shooting, no flange to fold over.
Version 2: Gardner external dimensions with flange, not ready for shooting, flange would need to be folded over.
Version 3: Gardner external dimensions with a thinner skirt wall to allow for better expansion into rifling, ready for shooting, no flange to fold over.

Link to the NOE post
http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,2461.0.html
216227[/QUOTE]