JBinMN
03-11-2018, 10:33 AM
Looks like a fun time had by all!
:)

Thanks for sharing!

waksupi
03-11-2018, 11:20 AM
That was the nicest day we've had to shoot all winter. The last two shoots were snowshoe shoots, so there was a pretty good path to walk. If you stepped off that path though, you were up to your knees in snow. I didn't even go to the shoot before this one as it was minus 3. The cabin and a warm fire was much more appealing that day.

dondiego
03-11-2018, 11:36 AM
Some of those guys really want to make sure that their ball is well seated!

waarp8nt
03-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!

Rick Hodges
03-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Nice!!!!

rfd
03-11-2018, 05:54 PM
Some of those guys really want to make sure that their ball is well seated!

absolutely. and blow down the tube as well.

Rick Hodges
03-11-2018, 06:13 PM
What does the repeated throwing of the ramrod down the bore do that pressure when seating doesn't do? I have noticed that some do this in the videos but not all......
I guess I am asking what theory is behind doing this....other than a nervous twitch :confused:

rfd
03-11-2018, 07:07 PM
when the rod "trampolines" off the patched ball, it's well seated and with powder somewhat compressed. this is for a relatively "loose load" that doesn't require a short starter let alone a hammer, and no fouling control between loads. there can be times when bp crud develops at the chamber, and as the ball is pushed down it'll hit that crud and one would think it's homed, it ain't, and that's not a good thing. when the rod bounces up, you know for sure there's no air space. in my own testing with .32 to .62 guns and loose load patched balls, there is no ball deformity - can't say that about a tight load.

JBinMN
03-11-2018, 07:17 PM
I have a mark on my ramrod for the load I am using, (a "preacher mark", I think some call it), but of course, I don't shoot "traditional", nor am I a regular BP shooter. I shoot BP muzzies to hunt, not so much for the fun. ( that can always change though, eh? ;) )

Interesting, since I saw it done, but that was not what I was enjoying. I was not looking for "things" to comment on, as I watched. There was no"critique" from me...
I was just enjoying the fun & good times that was being enjoyed by folks who were enjoying their day.
;)

I miss the camaraderie of such doins... If you have not done such things, with a bunch of like- minded & fun folks to be around, I think some of the "atmosphere" can be missed.

To me, it was a bit of sharing that made ya feel as though you should of & could of been there...

Pretty cool!
:D

And once again... Thanks for sharing the goodness!

:drinks:

rfd
03-11-2018, 07:20 PM
i vary my loads, sometimes a lot. putting marks on the rod got me more cornfused than helped. the rod bounce fixes that pronto. :)

man, i'd love to woods walk with those folks, what a blast in more ways than one! 216233

Rick Hodges
03-11-2018, 08:30 PM
when the rod "trampolines" off the patched ball, it's well seated and with powder somewhat compressed. this is for a relatively "loose load" that doesn't require a short starter let alone a hammer, and no fouling control between loads. there can be times when bp crud develops at the chamber, and as the ball is pushed down it'll hit that crud and one would think it's homed, it ain't, and that's not a good thing. when the rod bounces up, you know for sure there's no air space. in my own testing with .32 to .62 guns and loose load patched balls, there is no ball deformity - can't say that about a tight load.

Thanks for the explanation. I need to find a thinner patch material...or smaller ball, to load without a short starter.

That looks like a fun day shooting.

rfd
03-11-2018, 08:45 PM
for the most part, i will get better overall accuracy with a tightly patched ball, just like the target shooters do. but that isn't fun for me, that's not how it was done back in the day, too much work and then there'll be fouling control issues. i'd rather go with either a thinner patch and/or smaller ball, and no short starter. i also prefer a grease patch lube and i make ramrods that don't require flipping, just an up-bounce down-up-down and the deed is done without breaking a sweat let alone requiring tools. accuracy is not at all that bad, in fact, it was good enuf to win a few matches, with these old eyes no less. anyhoo, lots will depend on what kinda load the gun likes, and it'll just require a bit of experimentation, but well worth doing.

waksupi
03-12-2018, 12:26 AM
I would say the majority of us in this area blow down the bore to clear spark. We consider it much safer than not doing so. We don't have much use for the eastern bunch that got their panties in a twist about it some years ago.

waksupi
03-12-2018, 12:28 AM
i vary my loads, sometimes a lot. putting marks on the rod got me more cornfused than helped. the rod bounce fixes that pronto. :)

man, i'd love to woods walk with those folks, what a blast in more ways than one! 216233

Spring rendezvous, third weekend in May!

rfd
03-12-2018, 06:18 AM
I would say the majority of us in this area blow down the bore to clear spark. We consider it much safer than not doing so. We don't have much use for the eastern bunch that got their panties in a twist about it some years ago.

i could not agree more. seems like this country is yet again overly pandering to the stupid at the expense of the smart.

http://bwanabob.info/page2.html

rfd
03-12-2018, 06:20 AM
Spring rendezvous, third weekend in May!

man, i wish you guys were within reasonable driving distance ...

JBinMN
03-12-2018, 06:39 AM
i could not agree more. seems like this country is yet again overly pandering to the stupid at the expense of the smart.

http://bwanabob.info/page2.html

Good article. Thnx for sharing it.

rfd
03-12-2018, 06:42 AM
because almost all muzzleloading clubs are affiliated or chartered through the NMLRA, blowing down the barrel is forbidden at all events, woods walks, matches ... unless you use a long blow tube.

Battis
03-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Good info in that article, but it can't be overlooked that the author blamed the range officer for his loading mistake. His gun, his mistake, distraction or not.

rfd
03-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Good info in that article, but it can't be overlooked that the author blamed the range officer for his loading mistake. His gun, his mistake, distraction or not.

i don't see it that way at all. the plugged touch hole was NOT a mistake, it's just something that happens. it could have been found out by blowing down the barrel and observing the touch hole as well as noting the increase in barrel air pressure (the blown air had nowhere to go). there was no direct blame levelled at the RO, it just is what it is, thanx to the NMLRA.

"Distracted by the range officer’s outburst, this had gone right by me, and as a result, I now had some unnecessary and potentially hazardous work to do - removing a charged ball, that I feel could have been easily avoided."

Battis
03-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Mistake, oversight, he still blamed it on a distraction. A crow crowed too loudly, a car horn spooked me...
His gun, his oversight. I'll bet that's why he wrote the article - to vindicate himself.
"It’s A Libertarian Thing"... You want autonomy? Be responsible.

rfd
03-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Mistake, oversight, he still blamed it on a distraction. A crow crowed too loudly, a car horn spooked me...
His gun, his oversight. I'll bet that's why he wrote the article - to vindicate himself.
"It’s A Libertarian Thing"... You want autonomy? Be responsible.

this thread is not the place to argue over semantics - take it to me offline if need be.

Rick Hodges
03-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Public ranges can be strange critters.....I shoot at one that brags about it's outdoor pistol range but insisted on single load, single fire. I am sure that the range officers have nightmares about the reasons for these strict rules. On the other hand one can never learn safe gun handling with a fully loaded pistol/revolver at that range.

I certainly don't have an issue with blowing down an empty rifle barrel.....and it seems to me those who blow down a loaded barrel will thin their ranks on their own. Dumb *** people make for dumb *** rules.

Battis
03-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Not semantics - facts. I didn't post the link to the article- I was just responding to it.

Maven
03-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Got to agree with Rich & Rob about blowing down the just fired bbl. (single shot, of course) to eliminate sparks. I was disciplined for doing so at a local woods walk, but I did that at the same club another time when my normally ultra-reliable Lyman GPR (cap lock) wouldn't fire with nary a word being said. After firing 3 caps to no effect, trying to clear the "obstruction" with a CO2 device, and not wanting to hold up the line any longer, I just blew down the bbl. and knew immediately [by the
the air coming out of the nipple] that I forgot to add powder and ball. (My bad and and a real head up my rear end day to boot!*). These days, I only blow down the bbl. when I shoot by myself and never at woods walks, etc. due to the zealots among us. Btw, Battis' point is well taken: Ultimately it is our responsibility to proceed in a safe manner.

*I also managed to really stick my range rod in the bbl. that day as well + shoot miserably, but happily, things
have improved since then.

P.S. Rob, I'll pick you up on my way to Flathead Lake in May. (LOL)

rfd
03-12-2018, 06:40 PM
... P.S. Rob, I'll pick you up on my way to Flathead Lake in May. (LOL)

paul, i'll be ready and i'll split the gas and food tabs with ya. :popcorn: :grin: 216289

FrontierMuzzleloading
03-12-2018, 07:13 PM
We can't blow down the bore at rendezvous but they do allow a tube to stick in the bore and blow into it. I don't do either.

JBinMN
03-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Interesting stuff I read here. And it also re- affirms why I will not be a member of any shooting club...

"politics"...

taco650
03-13-2018, 04:46 AM
Watched this one yesterday, looked like a beautiful winter day!

Ric, what were you shooting in this one? It looked different than the ones you've used in Denny's previous videos.

waksupi
03-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Watched this one yesterday, looked like a beautiful winter day!

Ric, what were you shooting in this one? It looked different than the ones you've used in Denny's previous videos.

That's my Christian Springs transitional rifle, .62.

taco650
03-13-2018, 06:41 PM
That's my Christian Springs transitional rifle, .62.

Ah...

Rifled or smooth?

waksupi
03-13-2018, 11:16 PM
Ah...

Rifled or smooth?

As it says, rifle!:bigsmyl2:

taco650
03-13-2018, 11:58 PM
As it says, rifle!:bigsmyl2:

Sorry Ric, brain fart LOL!

rfd
03-14-2018, 09:46 AM
a "smooth rifle" would be a smoothbore with rear sight!

Buzzard II
03-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Rob,
Keep posting the videos, I sure do enjoy them.
Bob