PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an ingot mold like this one?

Steppapajon
03-10-2018, 06:03 PM
I stopped by the thrift store today and looked for an ingot mold and was about to give up when I spotted this. I have never seen one made this way but it works like a champ. It is stamped steel welded to the frame. I burned the crude out with the propane burner and it cast some nice ingots that fell right out. They weigh between 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 pounds each. They cool quicker because they have more seperation than normal muffin tins. It hangs up out of the way too.
SPJ

Bookworm
03-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Looks like it oughta work.
Could have been a device for baking small, individual pies. Maybe single serve potpies.

copdills
03-10-2018, 07:18 PM
thats very cool my friend congrats on the find

skeettx
03-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Lazy Susan dip cup holder, chip bowl goes in the middle hole
Mike

Steppapajon
03-10-2018, 09:42 PM
Lazy Susan dip cup holder, chip bowl goes in the middle hole
Mike
I would never had thought that Mike. I have seen them in wood, glass, ceramic, and plastic but never a metal one.
My best guess was something that went around a fondue pot.

hunter74
03-11-2018, 09:46 AM
Use a similar muffin pan from IKEA. Their bread pans also works.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

OS OK
03-11-2018, 10:01 AM
If you level the ingot
mould and pour them carefully they will make nice straight stacks when you store them. This mould looks wider than my standard muffin pan...do they fit into your casting pot well, will they stack in the pot?

Steppapajon
03-11-2018, 05:56 PM
If you level the ingot
mould and pour them carefully they will make nice straight stacks when you store them. This mould looks wider than my standard muffin pan...do they fit into your casting pot well, will they stack in the pot?

They measure about 2 3/4" across and they do stack well. I haven't tried stacking them in the pot yet as I am just cleaning up my separate alloys to make it easier to blend them. I like to pour everything of a different alloy into a unique shape so there is no confusion later. Pewter has a mold, pure lead has a mold, antimonial lead has a mold. It makes it easier for an old guy to remember. Once it is blended to my final alloy it will get a long slender shape that makes it easy to feed the pot.

Wayne Smith
03-13-2018, 09:12 AM
Can't tell how deep they are, but if deeper than a muffin pan they are popover pans, to make popover muffins.

Creepin
06-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Pretty cool! I've never seen one like that!

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-29-2018, 12:30 PM
The last time I was at a antique shop, I seen a cast iron pan that had 9 compartments that where the shape of traditional ingots...maybe a cornbread pan? or specialized pan for making some sort of bars?
This particular antique shop are quite proud of all their cast iron pans, so this one I am talking about is priced quite high, but it seems like a rare one. Next time I go there, I'll have to take photos and see if any of the experts here have seen one before. That trip may happen today, as I don't have anything else planned, due to it's a HOT one today in MN, 95º with high humidity (heat index 100 to 110).

BCOWANWHEELS
07-07-2018, 05:55 PM
looks fragile to me.