PDA

View Full Version : Researching progressive press options

Animal
03-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Round count is not my motivation, time at the press is. As family responsibilities increase, I just simply can not set aside several hours to make 200rnds of ammo anymore. This is now starting to impact my ability to enjoy range time when I do have range time.

Dillon 550- Proven brand according to the vast majority who have a wide range of experience using different presses. I feel good about that. BUT, sometimes I wonder if the 4 hole station can make things less flexible. For example, I'd like to use a Lyman M-Die in some situations. A fifth station would be helpful.
Does the Dillon 550 powder/expander option provide the same benefit as the M-Die? Or is it just a basic flair only die? If it does, then the 4 hole issue is a moot point.

RCBS 5 hole - Lots of complaints on the primer system. It sounds like RCBS has made a lot of people happy with their speedy service in replacing the issue. The RCBS offers 5 holes, which makes me feel I can 1 size, 2 expand with M-Die, 3 Powder Charge, 4 Seat, then 5 crimp. The 5 steps give me a little comfort. I tend to use these same 5 steps on a single stage already.

Hornaday LNL - Lots of happy customers. 5 stations as well. I've read some reviews that make me believe that Lee dies might be a tad too short to work properly. I use a mix of dies, Lee is a part of that mix.

Thanks folks!

Adam20
03-10-2018, 10:50 AM
I can comment on the 550, dillion started making power Thur extenders for rifle like the m die.
The size they make is not planned for cast. I bought one and sending it to ladesmith (vendor here) to custom make them for my size. Pistol can be done the same way.

glockfan
03-10-2018, 10:57 AM
you're going to get many different opinions depending who use what, and be aware that your thread might turn into a ford VS gm kind of debate. this said, i'd say that, if you're willing to spend some on a progressive, my mindset is '' buy once, cry once''' and go dillon. it is trouble free,no parts in need of tweaking, only a machine that spits a fresh round at each strokes of the handle. you can mix dies as you feel alike (while some dies aren't suited for the dillon tool head) .......there's a saying that runs around since awhile : ''if you want troubles,don't go dillon'''....and i subscribe to it. now, if you have the ressources , a XL650 will last for the rest of your life, otherwise the 550 is always faster than a 4 holes turret with no indexing.

jmorris
03-10-2018, 11:06 AM
I have or have had progressives from Lee, RCBS, a couple of LNL’s and all the Dillon’s. For least time at press the only thing that beats a 650 with collated case and bullet feed is the more expensive 1050 with both also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3hVi6PuduM

Outer Rondacker
03-10-2018, 11:16 AM
I own the 550, 450, square D, LnL, LoadMaster, lyman turret, many singles and so more I am not listing. Every press has its corks. I will say the Dillon's have the least for me anyway. When I did have a issue no mater how old the press and let me tell you I have some old ones. Dillon had parts shipped to me no questions asked free of charge and was willing to talk me though what ever I needed. Hornady gave me some **** on the phone but that was my issue. They did not back the priming system but did offer to replace the press for a large fee and trade in. I fixed it myself over time. Lee was great on the phone and shipped me out parts I needed when I needed them for free. My lyman is a tank and works no mater what but indexing that turret makes for one tired arm after 50 or so rounds.

Keep in mind that I have never owned a New press. All mine are used and most not even set up when I got them. I have always purchased what I could afford not what I wanted. The goal was to make it work and be happy until I could tailor my collection to what I wanted. If you can make it happen I agree with glockfan go 650 and you will be very happy. I had a 650 and even a 1050 but I was offered to much money for them and had to let them go. NEVER once had an issue that was not user error. That is just me and some light reading I am sharing with you. What ever you buy be happy and enjoy the hobby of reloading just like the sport of shooting.

AH jmorris beet me to it. He has great advice and has used them all.

JBinMN
03-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Perhaps size/deprime on a separate press in lots & then put those lots thru the case feeder of whatever progressive ya choose? Then a 4 hole would be adequate, as the fifth hole is no longer needed for size/de prime.

Just a suggestion, anyway...

That is what I am considering, but I am looking at one of the new Lee progressive & not your selections. I just can't afford them right now based on "my" budget/income.

G'Luck! with whatever ya decide!
:)

Dan Cash
03-10-2018, 11:18 AM
I have been using 2 Dillon 550s for close to 30 years with full satisfaction. A five hole 550 would be nice but the times when I have to work around the 4 hole restriction are so few that I am unable to justify the cost of a 650 or other press. Personal taste does not run to case and bullet feeders so the simplicity and functional reliability of the 550 is satisfying.

Livin_cincy
03-10-2018, 12:09 PM
LEE has a new press do out in April. It has 4 die stations and can be automated to feed bullets & cases or just keep it simple like a Dillon 550.

https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

shortlegs
03-10-2018, 08:07 PM
I have 2 550 dillon's and love them. I save more time lubing with home made lanolin/alcohol spray(1000 223 cases in 1 min.) resize in single stage, clean with alcohol bath(takes about 2 or 3 min) let dry. then load on dillon. my sizer hole is mty. loading Blackout same way and using 30 carbine powder drop/neck expander to load cast. works great saves lots of time!

Animal
03-10-2018, 09:56 PM
Thanks folks. Of the Dillon users, it doesn't appear anyone has expressed any problems with not having the 5th hole. I take it to mean that Dillons powder/expand operation is plenty adequate for our cast boolit needs.

As another poster stated, it would be possible to size/prime on my single stage.

I've heard of the new Lee press. I have Lee stuff. But I am particular about the Lee items I incorporate. I'll have to see some successful reviews before I go that route. Thanks folks!

nicholst55
03-10-2018, 10:15 PM
One thing to remember with a Dillon 550 is that you can process your brass into ammo on two different toolheads. For instance, you could size on one toolhead, and then expand, drop powder, and seat bullets on another. You could either prime on the press or prime with a handheld or bench mounted tool.

Depriming on the 550 can be problematic, because it dumps a lot of ash and trash onto the primer slide. This can cause cycling issues as you continue. Solutions are either cleaning the primer slide frequently, or priming off the press.

jdfoxinc
03-10-2018, 10:38 PM
The 650 is great except I don't like the priming system. The 550 priming system is better IMO. The Dillon warranty is the cats meow. I have the case feeder on the 650. The Mr. Bullet bullet feeder doesn't work well with lubed bullets.

wv109323
03-10-2018, 10:40 PM
+ on what Adam 20 says. The Dillon powder thru is a neck sizer and flaring die. The problem is Dillon only makes one size for a given caliber.
My 9mm likes .358 boolits. The Dillon sizer leaves the neck size too small for that diameter boolit. The boolit is sized down when seated thus destroying accuracy. There are forum members that will custom make you a powder through die.

Animal
03-10-2018, 10:46 PM
The comments about the filth of primers and possible left over media in the Dillon does sound problematic. It sounds like keeping my single stage for the size/prime option will be a clean decision :)

JBinMN
03-10-2018, 10:51 PM
The comments about the filth of primers and possible left over media in the Dillon does sound problematic. It sounds like keeping my single stage for the size/prime option will be a clean decision :)

;)
Good idea. LOL I have been considering the same thing lately & that new Lee progressive coming out next month. Been saving my pennies...
;)

Walter Laich
03-10-2018, 10:59 PM
I do pistol rounds exclusively and the SDB is my progressive of choice

I replace the tool head with one that just has the decapping pin. (4 screws)
remove the priming system (3 screws)

now I just put the case in and deprime. the machine will move the shellplate around and drop the deprimed shell in the bin. cuts work in half not having to remove before adding a new case

a good blast or two from air compressor gets all the junk out and 7 screws later I'm reloading

I do wet tumble my brass and since I'm OCD I like primer pockets to be clean--yeah I know it's not necessary but what can I say???

Outer Rondacker
03-10-2018, 11:59 PM
If you wet tumble your brass then there is no soot to build up in the primer area. Well 99% less we will say. This helps no mater what press you are running.
Loadmaster has five holes. Just saying.

Gus Youmans
03-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Animal,

I have the Hornady LNL progressive and the Dillon 550, both with case feeders. I have had the Dillon for about 15 years and used it without a case feeder for most of that time and it worked like a champ. It also works well with the case feeder but once set up with the case feeder it is a major chore to use it without the case feeder. I have had the Hornady for about two years and have used it exclusively with the case feeder and have had more issues with the Hornady case feeder than the Dillon case feeder. It is easier to disable the case feeder on the Hornady than on the Dillon. The big advantage to the Hornady is the automatic indexing but the speed advantage is lost due to issues with the case feeder. I may work out the issues with the case feeder over time but not yet.

If I had to choose one or the other I would probably go with the Dillon.

Gus Youmans

Newboy
03-11-2018, 01:47 PM
They all have idiosyncrasies. I like Lee the least. The Hornady was okay. I had an early model, and the ejector was garbage. I think that is resolved on the newer ones, but not positive. I their dies are easy to change, but at the same time, they do not allow you to “fine tune” the adjustment. For example, with normal threaded dies, I prefer to have cases in every station, and then lock them down so there is no slop. With the Hornady, I have to live with the slop. The Dillon square deal was okay for limited shooting. Real downside is proprietary dies. My Dillon 650 I still have, with case feeder. It is not a magic machine, as I have had small plastic pieces wear out or break, and you do need to keep things clean. I keep mine grounded, and keep the yellow primer residue cleaned out of the primer tubes, and have had no issues. I would like to use an “m” type die for my cast bullets, but such is not available for Dillon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dverna
03-11-2018, 02:14 PM
The real advantage of the 5th hole is to add a Powder Check die.

If I were you, I would go with the 650.....assuming the bulk of your time is spent reloading a few calibers. The calibers that do nit get a lot of time stay on your current set up.

If you can afford it, and do not plan a lot of caliber changeovers, the 1050.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Ive owned 2 Hornadys LNL APs and at one time had 4 Dillon 550s. I really liked the Hornadys a lot, but at the end of the day the 550s gave me less hassle. Now I do most all of my reloading on my 2 remaining 550s (one set up for large primers and one set up for small primers). The lack of the 5th station has never bothered me one bit. Also, I have used the stock powder funnels (expanders) with no ill effects on accuracy (shooting cast). But, as others have said, there are members here that can make custom funnels for you. Good luck!

Black Prince
03-11-2018, 02:43 PM
The OP has a problem:it is that HE DOES NOT HAVE TIME. No reloading press is going to solve that problem. Like many others here, I have used many different presses over 60 years of reloading and there is a big blue Dillon 550 bolted to my bench now and I will own no other brand. (I do wish it was a 650 though.) But that's just me. That said, a Dillon will MAXIMIZE the limited time the OP has, but it may not be enough.

People seem to always find the time to do those things they consider to be important in life. If the OP considers shooting and reloading to be important, he will find the time to do it. If not, that is his choice and decision to make.

dverna
03-11-2018, 03:46 PM
The OP has a problem:it is that HE DOES NOT HAVE TIME. No reloading press is going to solve that problem. Like many others here, I have used many different presses over 60 years of reloading and there is a big blue Dillon 550 bolted to my bench now and I will own no other brand. (I do wish it was a 650 though.) But that's just me. That said, a Dillon will MAXIMIZE the limited time the OP has, but it may not be enough.

People seem to always find the time to do those things they consider to be important in life. If the OP considers shooting and reloading to be important, he will find the time to do it. If not, that is his choice and decision to make.

Disagree with progressive presses not making time. Unless the press is not working properly.

People who perform operations off a progressive press are either anal, or have presses that do not work.

jmort
03-11-2018, 04:57 PM
"People who perform operations off a progressive press are either anal, or have presses that do not work."

This seems overwrought. I think there is room in the world for priming, deccaping, charging, or whatever, off the press.

LittleLebowski
03-11-2018, 06:01 PM
"People who perform operations off a progressive press are either anal, or have presses that do not work."

This seems overwrought. I think there is room in the world for priming, deccaping, charging, or whatever, off the press.

There is room, but not the need.

sawinredneck
03-11-2018, 09:01 PM
As the OP found in his other thread, there are m-die options for Dillon. I don’t find having four stations a huge limitation on the 550.
What I haven’t heard, or asked, what are you wanting to load? Handgun, rifle, both? This matters in your choice of press.
But here’s my opinion, and it’s worth what you payed for it.
I love RCBS, but I will never own one of their progressive machines! Hear me out, they are great in every area BUT progressive presses. They come out with their latest and greatest then flop or fanfare, dump it. There’s been a very long track record of this, then how do you get parts? Customer service is only as good as the availability of parts. Sorry, just how I feel about it.
Hornady isn’t a lot better, but they at least try keeping some parts around. A friend of mine has a LNL, he’s making it work for handgun ammo, but he’s had to make several modifications to do so.
The Lee loadmaster, well, you just want to sit down and make ammo as time permits, this isn’t the machine for you. I don’t know enough about the new press to even make an educated guess.
The Dillon 550 is great for most, easy to change calibers and one of the most comprehensive list of caliber conversions you’ll ever find. But it’s on the slow side for production. The 650, I just can’t justify and it wouldn’t suit my needs, I don’t load enough. It’s slower, and considerably more expensive for caliber swaps. But for your 200 rounds, once set up and going, you are talking 15 min?
The Lee classic cast turret might be another option to consider, much cheaper, much simpler to set up and adjust and 200rds 45min?
They all have pros and cons, you need to figure out how much, and of what, you want to load, how much time you want to spend doing it, and how much your willing to spend for that convince.

Animal
03-11-2018, 09:20 PM
SAW, you hit all my points. Thank you

Yes, round count is a fairly low requirement at the moment. It is the time at the press that I am wishing to minimize. However, I do hope to compete once the kids are a bit older and independent. I do foresee high round count in the future. There are IDPA clubs and SAS in my area that I'd like to join in a few years.

I mainly shoot 45acp. In fact, that is probably all I'll load on the progressive. I do enjoy a light diet of 44spl, 44russian and 44 mag. I'd be happy to load those calibers on my single stage since I only "sip" those cartridges. I also load bottle neck rifle from time to time. I'll likely do that more often if I can free some of the press time that my 45acp single-stage loading demands.

Low round months are generally close to 200rnds. High months may be closer to 600. It all depends on family obligations, the work that needs to be done on my land and my crazy work schedule.

I have considered a turret press. In fact, sometimes I think that will meet my need at this moment, which makes them very tempting. BUT, when I finally get to the point where I can shoot higher round count (1000+ per month), I fear the turret will need to be replaced.

I suppose I am trying to skip the turret concept for fear that I'll end up buying twice in the long run :)

Petrol & Powder
03-11-2018, 09:28 PM
You're going to get a phonebook's worth of responses but as a dedicated Dillon 550 user, I can strongly endorse the 550.

I prefer the manual index of the 550 and 4 stations is plenty. I've loaded 10's of thousands of rounds on a 550 and the press is well designed and bullet proof. The only significant failure I had over more than 20 years worth of use was a cracked bell crank. I contacted Dillon and asked to purchase a replacement, they sent me a new one for free and I think I had it on the press within 72 hours of the failure.

Dillon a great company to deal with, they stand behind their products and their stuff is top notch.

JBinMN
03-11-2018, 09:36 PM
I started at about 50-60 rounds an hour with a 4 hole Classic Cast about a month ago. I weigh & add powder, off press. If I just go to just throwing powder, after setting up the Uniflow or the Lee powder measures for volume, I am up to 100+ an hour. I just got this turret recently & now am looking at the new Lee for my jump to progressive. ( Only 2 calibers though for the progressive I am looking at( the new Lee), 9MM & 45ACP. I will do the rest on the other presses.).

I think I said I was watching this topic earlier & I still am. I like the way I load & pretty much take my time. I am not looking for more speed that much, just want to be able to make up the rounds I shoot the most, quickly, "if" I want to. ( "Quickly", meaning one with every pull of the press arm like the progressives.) Like maybe the oldest son stops over & wants to go shooting & I am low on the one(s) he wants to shoot. So, just make some up... For me, I plan ahead more & make up rounds when I see that I am gonna be shooting them & not so much spur of the moment like when he stops over.

Our "mileage varies", but I think that since the Classic 4 hole turret is pretty fast & you can basically, once ya got it figured out, make a couple hundred rounds in a couple hours or even faster, that should get ya by until ya decide on & "need" the progressive of your choice.

Suggest ya consider getting one of those, ( About $105-125.00 press only/ one turret, plus around 12-13.00 each turret extra) first & see how it works for ya. Then if ya want a progressive, you can always use the turret for the ones ya want to go slower on & the progressive for faster production of more of the other rounds y want. You can always sell the turret( I wouldn't) if ya had to...

Temporary fix that goes part way to where ya want to be & not a lot out of pocket.

G'Luck! Regardless of your decision(s)!

Petrol & Powder
03-11-2018, 09:38 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356565-Kudos-for-Dillon-Precision

kens
03-11-2018, 10:10 PM

I do not own a progressive, but I been searching such as the OP.
I seem to have noticed that the priming station is the biggest headache no matter the brand nor style of press, single stage, or turret, or progressive, or brand X,Y, Z.
From what I have gleened from my searches, it seems that if you had primed brass to start with, then it really wouldnt matter which press you had going forward; because they all can drop powder, and seat a bullet equally easily.
How many times have you heard of brandX press doesnt like to seat brandZ primers, or maybe not like brandY brass????
How many times you heard that?

However, nobody posts about not being able to drop powder & seat a bullet.

Animal
03-11-2018, 10:49 PM
Hands down, it just looks like Dillon is the way to go. Thanks everyone. I'm glad this didn't turn into a "chevy vs. ford" type thread.
I'm no longer concerned about not having a fifth hole for an M die. It looks like Dillon has that part figured out pretty well if so many seasoned casters are satisfied with it.
There have been an overwhelming amount of positive experiences with customer service. Apparently Dillon customers don't usually have to pay to replace parts... and it sounds like the parts don't need much replacing.

I've done a little price shopping... So far, Graf and Sons has the best deal on a 550c. 488.00 shipped to my door with a 45acp conversion kit. That is after an NRA round up. I think this will happen soon.

dikman
03-12-2018, 12:27 AM
I have an older model Lee Pro1000 that is fitted with a case feeder/collator and is used purely for depriming. It's amazing how much crud builds up just from this process. From there they go into a wet tumbler so I only have clean cases going into the reloading press. The Pro is actually pretty good for this job and makes short work of a pile of cases. For reloading I use a LoadMaster (which took a while to get sorted) and works well for my needs.

A fellow club member bought a Dillon 650 (with case/boolit feeder) and reckons it's great and just keeps working. He loads for his wife as well so they go through a bit of ammo (Cowboy Action shooting). While I would have liked one too, all up it would have cost me probably 3x the LoadMaster!! Here in Oz that means lots of $$$$, hence the LM. My suggestion, for the long haul, would be the 650, but failing that the 550 is probably a good choice.

But I'm still happy with my LM :smile:.

JBinMN
03-12-2018, 04:47 AM
Hands down, it just looks like Dillon is the way to go. Thanks everyone. I'm glad this didn't turn into a "chevy vs. ford" type thread.
I'm no longer concerned about not having a fifth hole for an M die. It looks like Dillon has that part figured out pretty well if so many seasoned casters are satisfied with it.
There have been an overwhelming amount of positive experiences with customer service. Apparently Dillon customers don't usually have to pay to replace parts... and it sounds like the parts don't need much replacing.

I've done a little price shopping... So far, Graf and Sons has the best deal on a 550c. 488.00 shipped to my door with a 45acp conversion kit. That is after an NRA round up. I think this will happen soon.

Glad to read you have decided!
G'Luck!

Lloyd Smale
03-12-2018, 07:59 AM
I own 3 lnls and two 550s. Ive owned square deals, loadmasters, pro 1000s, and stars. Hands down the press that will have you pulling the least hair out of your head is the 550. Might be a bit slower in theory but youll spend so much more time loading and so much less dinking with your press that youll find you make as many rounds an hour with a 550 as you do with anyting short of a 650 or 1050. Bang for the buck its the hands down best press on the market.

glockfan
03-12-2018, 09:08 AM

i feel like a target a little LOL.....when i typed this, i wasn't councious about how this forum is that different than any other forum in the sens that the forum users here are much more mature than what we can experiment generally across the web.

as for the press,congrat, you'll shoulder tap your self in the short term.

most premium offers coming from the big players on the market are quite capable machines, but dillon is a few little steps ahead in every aspects : functionning, reliability, CS, technical support....etcetc.....

another factor to consider that might play a little if ever something isn't right being: WHO you bought your new press from !!! ; when i bought my 650, there was many places who were stocking them, and at the end, when considering the post purchase service factor , i've decided to go with rob bagnato and CZ custom shop,and the reason was obvious to me : price,and service!! excepting a direct buy from dillon, you need to consider the fact that dillon is probably even more responsive than averagely when the purchase has been made from one of their long time support dealers. Hobdell shop is dillon's next door, then it is like you bought it from dillon , but at a lesser price.

this being said, now, pull the handle and enjoy the look of a press spitting a perfect round at each stroke without a single hurdle.

Animal
03-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Glockfan, you are right. This topic would have led to WW3 in certain other forums. In those forums, folks hang their pride on the brand names that sit on their bench. This is why I chose to ask here. Perfect boolits are the thing of pride in this forum. A press is just the means we use to load them.

jmorris
03-12-2018, 11:44 AM
The OP has a problem:it is that HE DOES NOT HAVE TIME. No reloading press is going to solve that problem.

I put this together, I can load 300 rounds for the match in the morning while I fold a load of clothes from the dryer and start another in the wash/dryer, put the dishes away and start another load in the dishwasher and get my gear ready for the match.

Just have to stop by the reloading room every 100 rounds to add primers, bullets and brass to the feeders but that only takes seconds not minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrFhnDQ-eUU

That works up until you don’t have the time to go shooting, then your out of luck.

dogdoc
03-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Definitely less fiddle factor with the Dillons. I have 650s and 550s. The 550s are plenty fast for most people and caliber conversions are cheap,easy and virtually unlimited. The no bs warranty is truly no bs in my experience.

Dogdoc

Outer Rondacker
03-12-2018, 03:02 PM
Its like the old saying. Run what ya brung.

robert12345
03-12-2018, 03:15 PM
I have an old RCBS single stage , which I've owned since age 18...
Works good !

My buddy has a Dillon.
I can load as fast with my old RCBS as he can with his Dillon, and, I can make better ammo.

As I load, ..he tinkers, ..adjusts, re fills, ..changes settings, etc.
I always sort of wanted a progressive, but, As years pass;
I am actually pretty darned happy that I never owned one.
If I were to go progressive, I would get a simple turret press, with an indexing head, like the "LEE," and be done with it.

NoZombies
03-12-2018, 03:41 PM
I have an old RCBS single stage , which I've owned since age 18...
Works good !

My buddy has a Dillon.
I can load as fast with my old RCBS as he can with his Dillon, and, I can make better ammo.

I always sort of wanted a progressive, but, As years pass;
I am actually pretty darned happy that I never owned one.
If I were to go progressive, I would get a simple turret press, with an indexing head, like the "LEE," and be done with it.

Your friend must be terrible at setting his press up, or you're the Jerry Miculek of single stage reloading.

I like single stage presses, and use them regularly for loading various calibers, but there's no way in the world I could come close to matching the output of a 550. I'm lucky to get 100 rounds in an hour and a half on the single stage. I can easily get 500-600 on the 550 including all of the fiddling and refilling. Neither of those numbers includes brass tumbling or bullet casting of course...

MK111
03-12-2018, 03:49 PM
I've owned and used Dillon 450 and 550's, Dillon 650 and 1050. Plus Lee 3 and 4 hole press. I still own a Dillon 650 and 1050 plus the Lee 4 hole turret press.
If someone is constantly tinkering with a Dillon press it isn't adjusted right to start with.
Someone who can't tie their own shoes should not get a auto press. Having a auto press the operator must understand a problem then fix it. Being in the reloading business for 30 odd years I've had customers be serious and ask 'can this press be operated in a room with the lights turned off'.
Some people should never have a auto press and some people should never reload ammo. It's just beyond their common sense ability.
Years ago we used to say 'if you can read and have common sense you can reload'. One of our customers hear that and told us 'I can't read or write a word but I can reload just fine'. We stopped using the phrase.

An example. A customer sent back a Lee powder measure as it was 20 grains off loading H110 ball powder. I had to test it and the measure would throw a powder charge of H110 of &- 1/10 gr. So I called him and told him the results of my test. His reply was 'did you count the grains of the powder'? He thought the grains where the specs of powder. Sometimes you just can't argue stupid as I explained it to him but he had to check it out.

Black Prince
03-12-2018, 04:43 PM

I am betting that once you go through the learning curve necessary to become familiar with the press operation, you will also become a dedicated Dillon user. They are absolutely the easiest and most accomodating people you have ever delt with and they are REAL QUICK with their service. You can make the decision to pull the trigger on it without any reservation at all. Good luck and all the best.

And as MKIII said above, some people ought not try using a progressive press because they don't have enough gray matter to be able to do it. If you can't operate a wheel barrow, you should not try using a progressive press. But anyone who can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time will find it is easy to do.

Nines&Twos
03-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Your friend must be terrible at setting his press up, or you're the Jerry Miculek of single stage reloading.

I like single stage presses, and use them regularly for loading various calibers, but there's no way in the world I could come close to matching the output of a 550. I'm lucky to get 100 rounds in an hour and a half on the single stage. I can easily get 500-600 on the 550 including all of the fiddling and refilling. Neither of those numbers includes brass tumbling or bullet casting of course...

He must be on the other side of the Mississippi River from me to be that good.

MyFlatline
03-12-2018, 06:51 PM
He must be on the other side of the Mississippi River from me to be that good.

10 rounds a minute is smokin

kmw1954
03-12-2018, 11:15 PM
Hands down, it just looks like Dillon is the way to go. Thanks everyone. I'm glad this didn't turn into a "chevy vs. ford" type thread. .

Congrats Animal on your selection it should serve you well. You also did well in keeping this civil, I've seen some of these get really ugly. The main thing is you picked a press that is going to fit you and your needs. Now you just need to get it, put some time into it to learn it and enjoy the shooting! I myself have 2 old presses and I don't shoot enough to even begin to think about changing to something else. If I can continue reloading for another 15 years I'll be a very happy old man.

Iowa Fox
03-14-2018, 02:18 AM
jmorris where in the heck do you come up with all your contraptions?

HangFireW8
03-14-2018, 08:58 AM
I started at about 50-60 rounds a minute with a 4 hole Classic Cast about a month ago.

That's moving! I would like to see a video of that. How long can you sustain that?

HangFireW8
03-14-2018, 09:11 AM

Years ago, Precision Shooting magazine had an article on tolerances of a Dillon, think it was a 550. What it gets down to is, with more or less brass on the rotary table, the distance from rotary table shellholder slot to die distance varies. That of course affects COAL.

Curious, I measured the bullet seating depth on my Hornady ProJector (which was not an old press at that time). I used same batch/brand brass and a quality jacketed bullet. What I found was COAL consistently was different with a table full of brass versus one cartridge alone. It was even repeatable.

I've taken that to heart now, and save myself a lot of time by setting a new COAL while having the rest of the slots in the rotor full, just like when I'm in full progressive mode. I just deactivate the powder measure and primer feed while doing the adjustment.

So yes, I can believe your friend fiddles and adjusts too much. But he has to get on with moving up on his learning curve, and not flatline. But it's his life, not ours, if he wants to fiddle and adjust, more power too him. It's just a hobby, after all.

Outer Rondacker
03-14-2018, 09:58 AM
I have always set every station with a full press as I learned this one early on. I will say that I have had different COAL on a single stage when I was learning. This came from not having the locking ring tight.

I have a friend well not so much a friend anymore but a guy I know who does not believe in locking rings and leaves his dies loose. He claims its the cheap RCBS single stages fault he does not get good groups. He also does not own a reloading book. Loads for the fastest hottest he can. :shock:

1bluehorse
03-14-2018, 11:18 AM
I have a friend well not so much a friend anymore but a guy I know who does not believe in locking rings and leaves his dies loose. He claims its the cheap RCBS single stages fault he does not get good groups. He also does not own a reloading book. Loads for the fastest hottest he can. :shock:

Hey, I know that guy too...........[smilie=s:

dverna
03-14-2018, 11:47 AM
I do not own a progressive, but I been searching such as the OP.
I seem to have noticed that the priming station is the biggest headache no matter the brand nor style of press, single stage, or turret, or progressive, or brand X,Y, Z.
From what I have gleened from my searches, it seems that if you had primed brass to start with, then it really wouldnt matter which press you had going forward; because they all can drop powder, and seat a bullet equally easily.
How many times have you heard of brandX press doesnt like to seat brandZ primers, or maybe not like brandY brass????
How many times you heard that?

However, nobody posts about not being able to drop powder & seat a bullet.

kens,
I have owned a few machines and my experience differs. The Star was very reliable at feeding primers and the only other press that comes close to seating primers as consistently is the Dillon 1050. All the Dillon presses I have owned (6 total -two SDB's, 550, 650, and two 1050's) were very reliable at seating primers. With any of them, priming off the press is not needed and if there is a problem, it is easily solved at minimal expense and it stays solved for a long time.

The reports of off press priming I see typically occur with Lee progressive presses and the Hornady AP. Not saying they cannot prime on the press but they may be more difficult to trouble shoot and may not stay adjusted as long. Others with more experience will comment.

If I was strapped for funds, I would give the new Lee press a shot as it uses the Safety Prime system. It is not "automatic" and thus may be more reliable. The new Lee may not have the speed of the other options but at under $150 is will still produce a completed round with every pull of the handle.

Animal,
You will NOT be disappointed!!! The 550 will produce about 300 rounds an hour without breaking a sweat and it is a joy to use. it is simple to adjust the few times you need to. If I had to downsize to one progressive press, it would be the 550 or 1050 as I use them to load pistol ammunition only.

One last thing. I bet you will be shooting more than 200 rounds per week when you can reload 300/hr. Funny how that works! LOL

Have fun!!!

JBinMN
03-14-2018, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by JBinMN
I started at about 50-60 rounds a minute with a 4 hole Classic Cast about a month ago.

That's moving! I would like to see a video of that. How long can you sustain that?

LOL An HOUR... not a minute...
;)

Edited the post to correct. Thanks!
;)

Bohica793
03-14-2018, 12:03 PM
I've never owned a Dillon but would like to try one someday. That being said, I have two Hornady LNL progressives without the case or bullet feeders. I use the Mr Bullet feeder dies along with rigid plastic tubes for feeding bullets. I run right at 500/hr loading 9mm or 40S&W on these. I have found that as long as I keep them cleaned regularly, I have no issues with primers or otherwise. I typically pull the shell plate and primer feed every 1000 rounds and wipe everything down.

Rizzo
03-14-2018, 12:23 PM
Well, after reading all of the input here I want to get a Dillon 550.
I currently use a Lee Classic Turret Press.
Will my Lee dies work on the Dillon 550?
Thanks.

sawinredneck
03-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Well, after reading all of the input here I want to get a Dillon 550.
I currently use a Lee Classic Turret Press.
Will my Lee dies work on the Dillon 550?
Thanks.
Yes, the only press out now that uses specific dies is the Dillon square deal B.

sawinredneck
03-14-2018, 02:04 PM
I've never owned a Dillon but would like to try one someday. That being said, I have two Hornady LNL progressives without the case or bullet feeders. I use the Mr Bullet feeder dies along with rigid plastic tubes for feeding bullets. I run right at 500/hr loading 9mm or 40S&W on these. I have found that as long as I keep them cleaned regularly, I have no issues with primers or otherwise. I typically pull the shell plate and primer feed every 1000 rounds and wipe everything down.
Not trying to be “THAT GUY”, but if you are happy I’ll suggest you stay with that. I’m afraid once you tried a 650 your bank account will be empty! I’m not badmouthing other presses, but just from what I’ve seen friends go through vs what I’ve gone through it’s night and day.

Bohica793
03-14-2018, 02:06 PM
Not trying to be “THAT GUY”, but if you are happy I’ll suggest you stay with that. I’m afraid once you tried a 650 your bank account will be empty! I’m not badmouthing other presses, but just from what I’ve seen friends go through vs what I’ve gone through it’s night and day.

Reloading is a crack habit regardless of what press you have. Just saying.....

sawinredneck
03-14-2018, 02:29 PM
Reloading is a crack habit regardless of what press you have. Just saying.....
Touché

BlackRat
03-14-2018, 03:25 PM

I have a LNL AP setup for 45ACP with the same setup, MRBulletfeeder die with my homemade bullet collator and I'm also very happy with it. The only problems I have are related to the bullet lube that gums the feeder die but I know that I would have the same problem regardless of the press.
I also have a 550 that I really like and enjoy. I feel like both presses have their advantages. For me the LNL is very good if I leave it for .45ACP as it would be a PITA for me to swap calibers and it would be the same for me with a 650 (I know that I could swap the toolhead that also has the powder measure but I would also have to adjust the case feeder, primer system for small /large pistol, etc). In a nutshell, the more automated the press the more I like them to be dedicated to a single caliber.

On the other hand, for me the 550 is the easiest to swap calibers and it's rock solid in terms of reliability. However it's slower and the lack of auto indexing might be a bummer for some (either for speed or the possibility of a double charge).

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-14-2018, 08:54 PM
I was loading up some 45acp the other night so I took a quick 1 minute video for the OP. With a little practice and technique, the 550 loads plenty fast.

https://youtu.be/aM64VITUg5A

sawinredneck
03-14-2018, 10:32 PM
I have a LNL AP setup for 45ACP with the same setup, MRBulletfeeder die with my homemade bullet collator and I'm also very happy with it. The only problems I have are related to the bullet lube that gums the feeder die but I know that I would have the same problem regardless of the press.
I also have a 550 that I really like and enjoy. I feel like both presses have their advantages. For me the LNL is very good if I leave it for .45ACP as it would be a PITA for me to swap calibers and it would be the same for me with a 650 (I know that I could swap the toolhead that also has the powder measure but I would also have to adjust the case feeder, primer system for small /large pistol, etc). In a nutshell, the more automated the press the more I like them to be dedicated to a single caliber.

On the other hand, for me the 550 is the easiest to swap calibers and it's rock solid in terms of reliability. However it's slower and the lack of auto indexing might be a bummer for some (either for speed or the possibility of a double charge).
Your fine, like I say, I’m not a brand loyalist, I love my Lee turret press and honesty can’t justify my 550, other than it was a smoking deal! I also stated the changeover time and higher cost with the 650/1050 machines.
My friend with the LNL has spent a lot of time sorting priming issues out. He’s text me with fixes on asked for ideas on problems he’s had. He’s been reloading much longer than I but “misplaced” his Dillon. (He once called to tell me he found a storage unit full of **** he’d forgotten about!) He says he misses his Dillon now, but is making due.
I honestly think changeover time on any of the true progressives is going to suck, the Pro 1000 probably being the worst!
As you’ve said, they all have their place and please use and enjoy what you like! My post was meant to be more in jest than anything. I’ve had a week, so I was just poking some fun.

Bohica793
03-14-2018, 11:05 PM
I change calibers including large-to-small primer swaps and powder drop adjustments in 30 minutes or less. To me, this seems quite reasonable.

kmw1954
03-15-2018, 12:24 AM
I honestly think changeover time on any of the true progressives is going to suck, the Pro 1000 probably being the worst!

On my Pro1000 I can change from 9mm to 45acp in about 15min and that is not in a rush. Then depending on which powder measure I'm using I can be back running in that 15 minutes. If using the Auto Drum it takes me about 10 minutes to get the powder drop dialed in. With the Auto Disk it's just a matter of putting the correct disk in. The ease of change is one reason I went with this press. This really is a very simple machine.

Outer Rondacker
03-15-2018, 07:16 AM
I change calibers including large-to-small primer swaps and powder drop adjustments in 30 minutes or less. To me, this seems quite reasonable.

Me too. Although I will admit I do not change over progressives. I shop craigslist and armslist and have been blessed enough to get many progressives at cheap prices. But if you have a good press and good training you can swap any cal fast. Like others have said this could be one reason why a lot of guys prime off press. They do not need to change the priming system.

dverna
03-15-2018, 10:08 AM

I agree. That is the main reason I used to justify having at least two progressives, with one set up for each primer size. Caliber changes are rapid if the primer system does not need to changed. With a tool head that has the powder measure already set up, the only change is the shell plate and locating pins on a 550. With the more mechanized units, the case feeding system and/or bullet feeder gets added to the change over time.

And like OR, I did very few caliber changes as I had a number of progressives set up for the calibers I shot the most. The only time "wasted" was emptying the powder measure at the end of each session and filling it when I started.

BlackRat
03-15-2018, 03:51 PM
I agree on the idea that having 2 Dillon 550s (one for small and the other for large primers) is the way to go for rapid changes. If I need more speed on a press I'd rather have a dedicated press with, at least, a bullet feeder.

For me, having a dedicated press for the caliber I shoot most of the time (45ACP) is not about the bulk volume I can make but the convenience of cranking 200 / 300 rounds whenever I need them. Having a demanding day job, a 4 y/o son and God willing another on the way, I really need to be efficient with my loading bench time.

jmorris
03-15-2018, 05:15 PM

The 550 is the fastest progressive to swap primer sizes I have used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCGV-JPYaE

jmorris
03-15-2018, 05:17 PM
I keep powder bars preset for the different loads, faster to swap them out than adjust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdNZkkTFQEM

sawinredneck
03-15-2018, 11:23 PM
I honestly don’t load enough to justify the single 550 I have, so I really can’t spend the money, much less the real estate on two. I only have two powder measures, one large bar, one small, but I’m trying to get a toolhead, dies, powder funnel etc., for each caliber. As I can afford them. I think many reloaders, certainly new ones, will be in a similar situation.
Sure, I’d love a loaded tool head set up with a powder measure for everything I think I’ll ever load, but 200 9mm, 200 45acp, and well, that’s it this year so far! I hope to do around 500 .357mag and thereish in .308 when I get the pieces in place. So I can spend a bit of time adjusting powder bars and swapping powder measures.
My previous post wasn’t meant to slight anyone, it seems most of my recent posts in this thread have been taken wrong.
If you can justify having tool heads set up and ready to go for everything you load, more power to you, I’m honestly jealous! Your switchover time will be minimal. Unfortunately I have more time than money, and seriously, don’t reload enough, to be able to do that. It’s not you, it’s not me, it’s about making it work.

Taterhead
03-16-2018, 12:42 AM
The 550 is the fastest progressive to swap primer sizes I have used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCGV-JPYaE

You've owned many presses, so you probably forgot that it takes about 20 seconds to change priming on the Pro 2000 that you used to own. Cool case feeder project, by the way.

Unscrew this small primer plug assembly...

https://s20.postimg.org/jfj1b8l8d/20180315_223259.jpg

Then screw in this large primer plug assembly. That's it.

https://s20.postimg.org/sajvlrhql/20180315_223326.jpg

Converting the whole press from small rifle to large pistol takes about 190 seconds, all in.

Too bad that they discontinued the Pro 2000 in favor of the bust-o-matic priming system on the new Pro Chuckers. What a shame.

kmw1954
03-16-2018, 07:02 AM
sawinredneck, Sometimes I think people rush into buying a press and equipment w/o really giving much thought as to what is really needed to get the work done that they need done. Same can be said for fishermen and boats! Kinda like the "I gotta have this!"

I'm one of those that may only load 200 or 300 at a time and not do it again for a month and I know this would be the case when I restarted loading again. As I only shoot pistols, because that is where my interests lay, I knew from before that I didn't want to do this on a single stage press even though I also knew I could easily do this on one. I had it in my mind that a turret press was the way to go and being cheap and on a fixed income I also knew I'd be looking for used equipment. So as it turned out, while watching the auctions and the classifieds on the forums I came across a complete Lee Pro1000 with dies, measure and everything for just over $90.00 shipped to my door. Heck I couldn't even touch a Turret press with dies for money. So I bought it. And I haven't been disappointed or regretful one bit.

Since then I have added another shell plate carrier, 3 shell plates, the small shell feeder, 3 sets of Lee dies and turrets, and two more powder measures, the shell feeder tubes and the collator. Adding it all up including the original press purchase I have about $300.00 invested and can load for 5 different calibers.

So yeah I have Lee stuff and I haven't shed a single tear. So now instead of loading 200/300 of one caliber a month I might be loading 2 or 3 calibers a month.

jmorris
03-16-2018, 07:37 AM
Too bad that they discontinued the Pro 2000 in favor of the bust-o-matic priming system on the new Pro Chuckers. What a shame.

I suppose as should have said “...of presses in production”. You may have to also adjust the primer depth screw depending on how you setup/use the press and what you are changing from/to.

I too was perplexed as to why they would abandon the APS strips that have their following for a tube style that wasn’t as well thought out as it could.

kmw1954
03-16-2018, 07:54 AM
I follow the reloading forums daily on a number of forums and surprisingly I see very little written or commented on about the RCBS progressive presses. Are they that hard to find or are they just that unpopular?

About a year ago there was a 4X4 I believe for sale locally but it was missing some parts and didn't know if they could be found so I passed on it.

Outer Rondacker
03-16-2018, 08:12 AM
A friend of mine loads for a living. If you are in NY you know him as he is one of the only to manufacture ammo and sell it. That said he has a RCBS progressive sitting on one bench covered in so much dust I know for a fact he does not use it. It has looked this way for over a few decades. His trusty blue by the front door is always moving. I will ask him why he does not use it next time I see him. Maybe it will come home with me.....

sawinredneck
03-16-2018, 11:31 AM
I follow the reloading forums daily on a number of forums and surprisingly I see very little written or commented on about the RCBS progressive presses. Are they that hard to find or are they just that unpopular?

About a year ago there was a 4X4 I believe for sale locally but it was missing some parts and didn't know if they could be found so I passed on it.
I touched on this earlier, my problem with RCBS is they seem to make a “flavor of the year” when it comes to progressive presses. They crank them out with much fanfare, then dump them a year or two later. Don’t try to improve or upgrade them, just dump them then come out with a new model. It sucks that most of their stuff is top notch then they do this on the progressive side.

sawinredneck
03-16-2018, 11:38 AM
sawinredneck, Sometimes I think people rush into buying a press and equipment w/o really giving much thought as to what is really needed to get the work done that they need done. Same can be said for fishermen and boats! Kinda like the "I gotta have this!"

I'm one of those that may only load 200 or 300 at a time and not do it again for a month and I know this would be the case when I restarted loading again. As I only shoot pistols, because that is where my interests lay, I knew from before that I didn't want to do this on a single stage press even though I also knew I could easily do this on one. I had it in my mind that a turret press was the way to go and being cheap and on a fixed income I also knew I'd be looking for used equipment. So as it turned out, while watching the auctions and the classifieds on the forums I came across a complete Lee Pro1000 with dies, measure and everything for just over $90.00 shipped to my door. Heck I couldn't even touch a Turret press with dies for money. So I bought it. And I haven't been disappointed or regretful one bit.

Since then I have added another shell plate carrier, 3 shell plates, the small shell feeder, 3 sets of Lee dies and turrets, and two more powder measures, the shell feeder tubes and the collator. Adding it all up including the original press purchase I have about $300.00 invested and can load for 5 different calibers.

So yeah I have Lee stuff and I haven't shed a single tear. So now instead of loading 200/300 of one caliber a month I might be loading 2 or 3 calibers a month.
This is why I ask so many questions to new reloaders when they ask what press to get. I bought a Lee turret that’s more than enough for my needs, then was offered a deal on a Dillon 550/MEC JR, combo that was too good to pass up. I showed my son videos of the 550 and he didn’t think I was gaining much. After getting it rebuilt, dealing with their customer service and using it, my plan of reselling it went out the window!

kmw1954
03-16-2018, 12:17 PM
When I see new people asking about what to buy I tell then research them all, ask questions and watch the videos. Heaven knows there are enough of them out there. Then I also suggest that after they get an idea of what they want don't be afraid to go to ebay or the forum classifieds and buy used. I don't care which make model it is, it's hard to wear out a press. Neglect and abuse is a different story.

By buying used equipment I have been able to save enough money over the past 2 years that during that time I've purchased 2 new pistols. The most recent just arrived yesterday. It's an EAA Witness 45ACP all metal frame. What good is reloading equipment if there is nothing to shoot!

Kenstone
03-16-2018, 12:20 PM

I touched on this earlier, my problem with RCBS is they seem to make a “flavor of the year” when it comes to progressive presses. They crank them out with much fanfare, then dump them a year or two later. Don’t try to improve or upgrade them, just dump them then come out with a new model. It sucks that most of their stuff is top notch then they do this on the progressive side.

I bought a Piggyback (1st gen) and struggled thru the clap trap linkage/adaption of the Uniflo pm that dumps powder on every stroke regardless of any brass under it.
RCBS TRIED to fix that on the PB II by adding more linkage/clap trap complexity [smilie=b:

I added a quick release pin into that linkage so I could cycle the press without dumping powder to clear any oopses, and that made it somewhat bearable to use.
Then I installed a Lee power thru the expander die and Lee Auto disc pm...a game changer :lol:

And when bullet feeders became all the rage, I bought the Hornady in several calibers and use tubes to feed them.
Switching to coated/no lube groove and jacketed bullets made those bullet feeding dies very happy...
So now my left hand one task is to load the case, and my right hand never leaves the lever. :razz:

The primer system has a resettable cam/wire that "unsets" if something jams the primer slide, not sure why they didn't use that design on the newest 5/7 chuckers instead of something that breaks/requires replacement :veryconfu .
And they still use the Uniflo pm instead of designing something new, Lee has designed/perfected several NEW pm in the mean time [smilie=s:

So now I buy any piggybacks I find at a reasonable price online or at gun shows, even bought a Ammomaster Auto that is about the same design/uses the same plates as the piggybacks.
RCBS added an index pin along the way so shell plates need a hole for that if the press has one, I have both, and see no difference in the operation.
Quick change-over, remove 3 top plate screws, remove/replace top plate with different caliber/dies :bigsmyl2:

Sometimes I regret going down the RCBS rabbit hole, even bought a Pro 1000 (works great) when I couldn't find a piggyback to leave setup for 45ACP, but still buy them when the price is right.
My RCBS story,
:mrgreen: