PDA

View Full Version : Star Lube-Sizer Project

Fidel
09-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Hello, I would like to introduce myself. I am an avid pistol shooter, but am not currently into casting. I am helping a friend who has a Magma Star Lube-Sizer. He would like to quasi-automate the operation of the ram.

My thoughts are to remove the handle/shaft and attach some type of gear driven motor or stepping motor to rotate the shaft. This leaves the current linkage that moves the sizing "plunger" down and injects lube into the ring alone. I would like to simply simulate someone operating the handle.

I did some rough calculations and I think I will need about 10 lb. ft. of torque to operate the ram in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have successfully accomplished automating the actuation of the star lube-sizer ram.

Thanks again,

Mike

miestro_jerry
09-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Mike,

A small gun shop owner in Westerville, Ohio has a Star sizer automated with pneumatics and it has run for many years, so I know it works, PM me and I will give you the shops adress and phone number.

Jerry

Fidel
09-04-2008, 06:26 PM
IM Sent :mrgreen:

Lead Head
09-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Fidel:

I have a Thompson electric Star sizer/luber "machine". I also have the bullet transfer attachment and some bullet tubes. I bought this setup from Thompson in the late 80s, and only used it once. The setup/fine tuning time is tricky.

The machine runs on standard 110 volts (just plug it in...). It has been sitting indoors (in a closet) for 20 years. I will sell the whole setup for $800 (cost me about $1500) plus shipping (est. to be about $50-$75). This thing is a large self-standing unit.

Will send pictures to serious buyer(s)...................

Lead Head

454PB
09-04-2008, 11:06 PM
As long as it includes an automated boolit feeder, it should be fine. I wouldn't want my fingers under any automatic plunger.

Lead Head
09-05-2008, 09:05 PM
That punch coming down with FORCE is another reason I quit using it. I had a few bullets not transfer correctly and lay across the die opening. Well, that didn't even slow up the punch. The punch just came down and took a plug out of the bullet. I could just imagine that being one of my fingers................. :-?

This machine is NOT FOR BEGINNERS ! ! !

You would need a good working knowledge of "machine mechanics" and BE CAREFUL.

I know $800 + shipping is a lot of $$$$. If I don't sell it, that is OK with me. Maybe one day I will try it again.....................

Firebird
09-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Sounds like an adjustable clutch would be a good safety addition. Using one of the adjustable torque 1/2" drill chucks between the motor output shaft and the input shaft of your mechanical linkage should give you some measure of control.Hopefully would would be able to adjust it for enough force to size the bullets but not enough force to take off a finger.

deltaenterprizes
09-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Sounds like you need a Magma bullet feeder to complete that system,without a bullet feeder it is an accident waiting to happen.

Fidel
09-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Absolutely on the safety features. I will post pictures of whatever we design here when it is all said and done.

hammerhead357
09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I have been kicking around an idea of automating a star with air. I think think it would be possible to do and use a small air cylinder to operate the bullet feeder. With the proper air valves and such it should be able to be set up to where if a bullet does miss feed that the machine will shut down until the problem is fixed.
Now having said all of that I just haven't had the time to do this project. But I do have a Star lube-sizer that is not in use at this time if I have some extra time I may start on the thing.
At one time I had an air operated star set up but the air cylinder was connected directly to the ram on the star and it didn't have enough power to force the bullet through the sizer die. This machine was manufactured by Ben's Machines in Dallas,Tx. They also had one that used an electric motor that worked but looked to me like it was just an accident waiting to happen.
If anyone is interested in this let me know and perhaps we can join together and work on this as a joint project.....Wes