PDA

View Full Version : Concealed Carry - Best Holsters?

jim4065
09-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Just getting into this - only took 10 days to get the license - maybe 'cause I used to work for the ASP. Aside from all that:

The handguns will be a Ruger LCP, Kahr CW40 and a S&W 642 (for starters). I'm too damn fat for IWB, and seem to have problems with the "Pocket Carry" - it's very hard to draw while seated. Bought a cross-draw Bullard for the Smith but even that's tough with a seat belt on.

I have little experience with shoulder rigs, but a bit of reading seems to show a dearth of products for fat guys. The more famous brands (like Galco) are kind of pricey to learn on, and the cheaper lines don't seem to go over 48". I don't mind spending the money - once. Anyone have some knowledge of shoulder holsters for "big people"? :roll:

Dale53
09-04-2008, 12:03 AM
A few months back, Mike Venturino had an excellent article on Concealed Carry for Large People. I believe that this article was in "American Handgunner". It gave "real world" specifics and should be useful to most "bigger people".

Dale53

danski26
09-04-2008, 12:50 AM
How big are ya? I'm 6'00" 240 and an ankle holster works very nice for the small guns for me. Just get the best one you can afford. Those ankle holsters get a lot of moving around done with them. Get el cheapo and watch your piece slide across the floor one day!!!!

Otherwise a SOB or strong-side holster works fine in all weather that you can wear a concealing garment over it.

jim4065
09-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the lead on Venturino's article. Got to try an IWB before I pop out the $150 for an XL Miami Classic. Never cared for Hawaiian shirts - but it may be the best choice.

Six foot and just dropped under 300. Trouble with an ankle holster is mostly that they require decent knees, and also they're not very fast - might be better off with a Gun Pak. Kinda tough to wear much in the summer in Arkansas. The SOB looks like it would be uncomfortable sitting - or do you just take it off while in a vehicle?

.45Cole
09-04-2008, 07:44 PM
wow carrying 3 pistols, and people around here give me a hard time when I have my three on at the range. They just don't understand us:drinks:

.45Cole
09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
I bought a ross leather holster (high rider belt slider (5" bbl looks kind bad when in the grocery store)) for my 1911 and cant use any other. I think they can even make a nice belt for it too

danski26
09-04-2008, 08:30 PM
The thing about concealed carry is until you decide to whip out your piece you are just another sheep in a violent situation. Speed from concealment is a consideration that falls below comfort and concealability for me. I can put one on target from my ankle rig 7 yards out in under 3 seconds. True from my strong side rig I average around 1.4 seconds but IMHO the extra 1.5 seconds is not my primary concern. Everyone decides there level of importance for these factors for themselves. Just some food for thought.

I haven't worn a shoulder rig for about 10 years but i am almost as fast with my ankle rig as with the shoulder. That being said, it IS easier to conceal a full size pistol with the shoulder rig and a concealment garment.

One of the keys might be flexability. What i mean is having a j frame ultra light in an ankle rig, A 1911 in a miami classic, a p220r in a sparks strong side, a kaltec in a pocket and a model66 2" in a cross draw would cover almost everything.......wouldn't it? Each have there time and place.

Old Ironsights
09-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Ain't no such thing s a generic "best". You've got to find what works for you. Somtimes an expensive PITA but worth it.

Here you are looking at 2 guns and some 35 rounds of ammo... and none of them are HiCaps.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/9f74606e.jpg

shooting on a shoestring
09-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Don't laugh till you've tried it, but my best should rig was born out of just such frustration. I bought a couple of woven cotton army belts at the local army surplus store, bought a couple of different types of buckles sold there also. Cinched myself up below the nipples but over the hump with one belt. Cut the other to make a loop over my left shoulder sewn to the front and also the back of the chest band, then slipped an Uncle Mikes IWB holster inside the chest band under my left armpit. Lightweight, comfortable, washable, carries SP101 or Mod 60 under a tee shirt, western shirt, dress shirt what ever.

My most often carry mode is no holster. I just hang the SP101 inside my pants at about 1 o'clock and let the Hogue rubber grip hang over my belt. My pudgy tummy holds it in place fine. I even tuck shirts in over the butt. I draw by left hand pulling up the shirt tail, right pulling the gun.

I don't believe a fast draw is as important as having a gun on you when you need it. There are faster rigs, but less concealable, less comfortable, less used. Fast rigs are great, but a gun anywhere on you is much better than one at home in a fast rig you didn't feel like wearing.

August
09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
I've got a box of holsters. Most guys I know have a box of holsters. I'm not happy with any of them. Nobody I know is happy with CCW holsters they own.

This may be heresy, but I don't like a holster for the kind of guns you've listed. Just shove it in the pocket. I carry my Smith in a sunglasses pouch when I'm out and about. Set it on the table in restaurants and nobody ever gives it a second look. When I'm on the motor, I like to carry in a vest with left, inside pocket -- preferably a gun pocket. When I'm going into convenience stores in lousy neighborhoods, I just put the Smith in my front pocket. Jeans or shorts, it never draws attention -- but, then, I smile a lot.

So, if you want to make the first purchase in your future holster collection, go ahead. But, a Ruger or Smith can be at home in your pocket.

HATCH
09-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Jim, I am about your size just a couple inches taller.
I have a LCP that I carry in a Ankle holster (inside left leg)
I also own a 640 (stainless j-frame hammerless) that I carry either in a paddle holster (winter) or a IWB (anytime)

I would go with a IWB, strong side
Something like this
http://www.usgalco.com/Catalog/large/Summer_Comfort.jpg

That is a Galco Summer Comfort.
You should be able to buy it for under $70
They offer it for your J-frame and that is what I would carry.

I do carry my LCP just in my pocket.

missionary5155
09-05-2008, 06:49 PM
I have been using HIP-GRIPS for years and seldom use a holster (except for a really BIG revolver... Colt New Service).. I have seen another product Clip- Grip for the autos ... may have to try one of them on a Glock 22

Steve Collins
09-07-2008, 12:44 AM
I have been using HIP-GRIPS for years and seldom use a holster (except for a really BIG revolver... Colt New Service).. I have seen another product Clip- Grip for the autos ... may have to try one of them on a Glock 22

I use the Barami Hip Grip on my 642 exclusively. I don't think it's ever seen a holster! I carry it tucked AIWB, where it is more or less impervious to being seen or bumped into. I can carry my Glock 17 or 19 in a kydex holster the same way, you just have to dress around it.

Appendix carry allows one the fastest of all draws while moving, which you should be doing if the fight is starting.

chickenstripe
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM
+1 on the box of holsters......

Shoulder holsters are by design a bit unsafe in my opinion. When you draw, you cover too many things that you do not want to shoot, on your swing toward the target (if it is in front of you). And you can easily swing past your target when drawing in a crisis situation.

I use a Don Hume version of the yaqui slide for my CW40.... for $30 it's worth a try. The muzzle barely goes below the beltline (high ride), so you can sit in a car with it on, and it pulls the butt into your side for concealability.

I'd reconsider a strong side holster of some kind.

WildmanJack
09-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Back in the late 60's or early 70's ( I try not to think about this too often) I was working undercover and bought some Heroin from a couple of scumbags. They had a suspicion that I was a cop and wanted to do the H in the car. I wouldn't go that route and they hustled me into a McDonalds bathroom and beat me to a pulp. I was wearing an ankle holster and couldn't get to my gun, I will NEVER wear on again. I NEVER wore one after I got out of the hospital either..
Just my dos centavos!!

Jack.................

Old Ironsights
09-08-2008, 06:59 PM
I've got a box of holsters. Most guys I know have a box of holsters. I'm not happy with any of them. Nobody I know is happy with CCW holsters they own...

I was more than happy with my CTAC for my Glock.

I AM more than happy with my Bearclaw Covert Operative for my SP101

I expect I would be equally happy with a gun of my choosing in an MTAC.

I love my Hedley pocket holster for my Guardian.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_0332.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_0333.jpg

None of them are particularly "fast" - but I don't carry a gun to be quick-draw mcgraw.

Down South
09-08-2008, 07:01 PM
If you are like me you will wind up with a chest full of holsters before you find what suits you. Everyone is different. In cooler weather I’ll use one of my IWB’s or an OWB holster that I can conceal easily. Summer weather is not near as easy to conceal so I carry my 642 in a mica pocket holster. There is a fairly large bulge in my jeans pocket but I’ve done it for a long time and no one has ever commented on the bulge. Really, how many people to you try to notice for bulges? Most everyone else is the same way. I’ve only been made once I think. That was when a complete suspicious looking unknown person was trying for some reason to act very friendly to me for no reason at all. I saw him notice the bulge in my right pocket then suddenly decide he had better things to do.
It’s going to be hard to find something that is easy to conceal, easy drawing in any situation and being comfortable. I’d like to stress one fact, comfort. I find that if I’m not comfortable with what I’m carrying, it doesn’t always get carried. I think a lot of other folks are like this whether they will admit it or not. For the problem seated in a car strapped down. It might be better to have the piece in the cup holder, another holster between the seat and console, or inside the door. That’s what I do. I have an extra holster that fits perfectly between my console and drivers seat. Improvise where you can to make it work for you.

REDTAIL
09-26-2008, 01:43 AM
Hatch a great holster i have on for my glock 21 love it