PDA

View Full Version : Feeding a Witness .45 acp Elite Match

enfieldphile
09-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Gentleman,

I've been reloading for over a 1/4 century. However I've just began reloading for semi-auto pistols within the last 2 years. I bought a Taurus PT 1911 (actually, the very first one to arrive in Lubbock Texas).

I acquired the LEE copy of the H&G 68BB (6-cavity mold), a Lyman .452 sizer die for my old RCBS luber/sizer, a LEE Cast Classic Turret press, a LEE 4-die set, and the LEE powder measure that fits on the hollow expander.

I cast the boolits hard (30 BHN on the hardness tester), and lubed w/ 50/50 lube. 5.6 of HERCO was set @ as the intial load. I adjusted boolit depth so the rounds were even w/ the barrel shroud About 1/8 inch of lead showing above the case mouth.

The only die in the set I was never too crazy about is the LEE 4th die, the "Carbide Post Size/Crimp Die" . But, each & every round fed through the Taurus w/o a problem. Ditto for a later acquired Stainless Taurus PT 1911.

Recently, I acqired a EAA Witness Elite Match .45ACP (E/M for short)

The boolit nose LEE copy of the H&G 68BB is too long for the E/M magazine. Seated deep enough so they fit in the mag, and they hang up on the ramp. Seated long enough so there is a hint of lead showing (but will chamber) , and only 2 rounds will fit in the mag.

The the LEE 4th die, the "Carbide Post Size/Crimp Die" won't reduce the case mouth small enough for reliable chambering. I used the old trick of running therm into a .308 Winchester resizing die (w/ decap/expand rod removed), and most, but not all would chamber & cyle the gun w/o a hangup.

I ordered a LEE 6-cavity 452-228-1R boolit mold (a 228 grain RN), a LEE Taper Crimp Die, and a Reddding Profile Crimp Die.

I felt since the gun shoots factory hard ball, this boolit shoud work. between these 2 dies, one should give the crimp I need to get it into the chamber. The Redding die will be good for my 3 S&W .45 ACP / AR revolvers too.

I took a vacation day yesterday.

FedEx dropped the package @ about 2PM.

LEE 6-cavity # 90352, 228 grain RN, 2 lube grooves.
LEE Taper Crimp Die
Redding Profile Crimp Die

Sprayed the mold halves w/ spray disk-brake cleaner, then set them on top of the heating furnace.

Meanwhile, I wrapped a piece of an old, thick, athletic sock around the end of an metal rod sticking up in a small can of wheel weights. The sock was soaked in lighter fluid, and lit up.
Mold & sprue plate were well smoked. This was done outside!

Mold turned out good castings right away. You can not smoke a LEE mold too much! Completely cover the inside & top of mold with smoke. Completely cover both sides of the sprue plate w/ smoke.

A large pin head sized bit of wax or bullet lube should be put on all joints.

I made up 10 dummy rounds using the LOA of a factory S&B 230 grain FMC round.

I adjusted the LEE Taper Crimp Die per instructions. Racking the slide as fast as I could, ALL 10 dummy rounds went through the magazine w/o a hitch. I could not get a hang up or FTF.

Measuring the diameter of the rounds disclosed that the LEE Taper Crimp Die was much better then the LEE Carbide Post Size/Crimp Die

I adjusted the Redding Profile Crimp Die per instructions. I made up 10 dummy rounds. Racking the slide as fast as I could, all 10 rounds went through the magazine w/o a hitch. I could not get a hang up or FTF.

I look forward to Sunday! 8-)