PDA

View Full Version : Gunbrockers ?

Fly
03-08-2018, 02:50 PM
I have bought a few guns over the years at Gunbrokers. But I very rarely bother going there much anymore.
Seems most everything is so over priced. What are your thoughts?

Fly[smilie=s:

762 shooter
03-08-2018, 05:06 PM
If you mean Gunbroker, all of my purchases in the last 3 years have been through Gunbroker. Where are you finding guns cheaper? I even got good deals on several Pre 64 Model 70's. No tax, some are free shipping and no CC fees on some new guns. Buy from sellers with good ratings and several sales. C & R's are right to your door and my FFL charges $20.00 for transfers.

MyFlatline
03-08-2018, 05:37 PM
I see it as a clearing house for the gun dealers. If they have one that hasn't sold for a while that's where they put it. Use to get deal at the local Pawn shops, but now they all list on GB also.

osteodoc08
03-08-2018, 05:53 PM
You’ve gotta sort through the wheat from the chaff, but there are still deals to be had.

NSB
03-08-2018, 05:54 PM
It's an auction. Don't offer more than you're willing to pay. I simply compare them to the best deal I can get elsewhere and offer no more.

ReloaderFred
03-08-2018, 06:39 PM
An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Many things sell for more than I'm willing to pay, but I don't blame the auction house for that. If there's any blame, it's on the buyer, but then he/she may think they're getting a deal compared to local prices, or it may be something not available to them locally. One man's junk is another man's treasure.........

Hope this helps.

Fred

ascast
03-08-2018, 06:52 PM
lots of "high ball" posting, trolling for high rollers. If it's too high, don't bid. Lots of good deals there, depends on what you want, I think.

stubshaft
03-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Just like flea-bay, you have to carefully read the ads. I have bought 3 guns within the last 3 months. One was a collectible and the other two were new. The purchase price + shipping + FFL fee was at LEAST $100.00 less than what I would have had to spent locally.

Beagle333
03-08-2018, 08:04 PM
You gotta dig for the deals. I get more guns from Armslist, but it's a bit more white-knuckle waiting to see if you actually get a gun than with Gunbroker.
Read the ads and don't get caught up in bid wars and you'll do fine on GB.

dragon813gt
03-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Like eBay I prefer the BIN listings. If it's at a price I'm willing to pay I buy it immediately. Simply send an email w/ the auction details to the local FFL and he handles it from there. I get a call in a few days and go pick it up. I can't find a lot of items locally and when I can the prices are almost always higher.

jmort
03-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Typically I can find the firearm I want for less money on Gun Broker
I look for sellers who have both good prices and stellar ratings

Tom W.
03-08-2018, 08:22 PM
I bought my last pistol, a CZ, from DE guns. It was about three pages back, but the price was $100 less than anywhere I looked. Including Bud's, Gunbroker, or Gun Genie...

am44mag
03-08-2018, 08:42 PM
If you mean Gunbroker, all of my purchases in the last 3 years have been through Gunbroker. Where are you finding guns cheaper? I even got good deals on several Pre 64 Model 70's. No tax, some are free shipping and no CC fees on some new guns. Buy from sellers with good ratings and several sales. C & R's are right to your door and my FFL charges $20.00 for transfers.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for, and when you're looking for it. I've bought a few guns on gunbroker in the last couple years, but it seems like I am finding more of them cheaper elsewhere. Not any specific place, just here and there. There's no one place that has the best prices across the board for me.

nitroviking
03-08-2018, 08:49 PM
I bought my last pistol, a CZ, from DE guns. It was about three pages back, but the price was $100 less than anywhere I looked. Including Bud's, Gunbroker, or Gun Genie...

Ill second that for DE Guns, got a great deal on a new S&W from them a while back, and super friendly on the phone

GhostHawk
03-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Before you buy you should have done your research and decided what you are willing to pay.

2 of my last guns there were H&R 732, 733 (blued and nickle) Revolvers both with 2.5 inch barrels and both in .32sw Long. 150$ for the nickle, 130 for the blued, and the blued one shoots better!

Now I consider that a bargain. But you have to hold up your end.

andre3k
03-08-2018, 10:55 PM
You have to be patient and ready to jump when there are deals to be had. Some guns come in and out of season. Last summer I purchased a Ruger Redhawk 41mag, Redhawk 44 mag and a Super Redhawk in 44 mag for less than 450 on each one. Steals IMO.

kmw1954
03-10-2018, 11:36 AM
I am waiting on my latest acquisition that I found on GB. Been looking and watching both GB and Armslist for a Witness 45acp. I like Armslist as I can search by state and look for local guns which saves the Shipping and Transfer fee here in Wisconsin.

One thing I found during this last search is that with many of these used Witness by the time the Shipping and Transfers were added in for about the same price I could buy a brand new gun.

There was one I was watching had a starting bid of $300.00, a reserve price and a Buy it Now of $400.00. The gun reached a bid of $380.00 and closed at that price unsold. It didn't reach the reserve price and is relisted. Now I hope the sucker sits on it forever! So why not stop the foolishness and just list it with a BIN price, forget the auction, forget the reserve? This is why I do not bid on Reserve Auctions.

dragon813gt
03-10-2018, 12:06 PM
As a seller I would never not have a reserve unless it was something I just wanted to get rid of. As a buyer it sucks if your max bid doesn't meet the reserve. It is what it is. There have been plenty of guns I bid on that didn't meet the reserve. I moved in and didn't look back.

Ickisrulz
03-10-2018, 12:20 PM
As a seller I would never not have a reserve unless it was something I just wanted to get rid of. As a buyer it sucks if your max bid doesn't meet the reserve. It is what it is. There have been plenty of guns I bid on that didn't meet the reserve. I moved in and didn't look back.

I don't understand why sellers have a reserve price, but don't provide a starting bid amount.

kmw1954
03-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Why not just make it simple, have the starting bid the reserve price? What's so hard about that? As per my example above why should I waste my time bidding on an auction that has the BIN price within dollars of the Hidden Reserve price when the starting price is nowhere close and the auction is 7 days long? In other words I'm supposed to wait 7 days and pass up other auctions just to see if that item has met the reserve.

If the starting bid price is fair then there is no reason in my mind for a Hidden Reserve and the item should receive bids and sell.

dragon813gt
03-10-2018, 07:31 PM
I don't understand why sellers have a reserve price, but don't provide a starting bid amount.

On eBay it costs money to raise the starting bid above zero. I don't know if GunBroker is the same way. But that could be one reason why.

I personally start an auction at the lowest price I'm willing to accept. But I don't expect others to do so. As a seller I don't care if someone misses out on other auctions. I care about my auctions only. And this is what you have to realize as a buyer.