PDA

View Full Version : Encores and cast bullets?

OKIE
09-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Any of you shooting cast in an encore? Let me know your thoughts. I am thinking about getting a 444 or a 45-70, not sure which gun to get, the marlin or encore. Any advise is appreciated.

Okie.

Dale53
09-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I am a single shot fan. However, I have a Marlin 1895 in .45/70 and can highly recommend that combination. Mine regularly shoots in 1.5" at 100 yards with cast bullets (plain base, no less). It likes the Lee 340 gr flat nose.

I am working on getting a Ranch Dog 350 gr cast bullet up to speed (new mould but haven't cast any yet - soon to come). I have great expectations for the Ranch Dog mould.

Since you're asking - get the Marlin .45/70 and order a Ranch Dog mould and size die along with his loading information. He has done a very extensive investigation of Marlin lever guns with great success. Click on the link at the bottom of the page for Ranch Dog's web site. You will NOT be sorry.

Dale53

AZ-Stew
09-04-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm not saying Dale is wrong, but for an alternate viewpoint, please let me add my advice.

You have to figure in a number of factors.

T/C has always made really good barrels. This is not to say that Marlin barrels are bad. I've found the half dozen or so T/C barrels I've owned to be VERY accurate. They amaze me whenever I shoot them. I've never owned a Marlin, so you can judge from the experience of Dale and other Marlin owners who may respond to this thread.

Will this be an Encore with a pistol-length, or full rifle-length barrel? If you're thinking pistol, be aware that you'll have plenty of recoil to deal with. (I own a Contender 45-70 and am familiar with the boot to the hand it generates.) If you use a light bullet and load, it's managable, but if you "go for the gold" with a heavy bullet or high velocity (or both), you'll have a handful of all you can handle. A death grip on the gun is required to prevent having the rig exit your grasp and make an impression on your forehead. Ask one whose eyebrows are no longer symmetrical.

If you're thinking "single-shot rifle", are you sure you'll be satisfied with only one shot?

Are you looking for a light rifle? If so, the T/C is a bit lighter than the Marlin, but keep in mind that you'll have to deal with additional recoil with the T/C vs the Marlin, assuming the same load, due to the lighter platform.

Mounting a scope on either platform should cause no difficulties. If you're considering iron sights, be sure to browse the online catalogs for the type of sight desired and compatibility with the gun before deciding.

I believe either platform will handle our lovingly-cast boolits with equal aplomb. You just have to weigh the other variables and decide which platform will best suit your needs.

Regards,

Stew

Wayne Smith
09-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I have the T/C Katadin Encore, the 20" stainless barrel with the recoil reducing como stock. I have it in 500S&W and 45-70. I will tell you that I wouldn't be shooting 500+ gr boolits out of either w/o the stock. Now that I know my problem was the stock bolt being loose I can begin to get serious about accuracy, but I was getting two groups @50 yds, each of them being plenty accurate. I have no doubts that I will be getting 1"-1 1/2" groups at 50yds and my eyes will be the problem at 100. I don't at the moment plan on scoping either barrel, but that may change!

With the stock my only problem is the trigger guard coming back and slamming my finger.

xyrth
09-04-2008, 11:45 AM
if you don't intend to get into barrel swapping & multiple calibers, don't get the encore. it'll just make you want more.