PDA

View Full Version : MBC's Black Powder vs Regular Bullets?

kipk49
03-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Hi everyone;

Was browsing Missouri Bullet Company's site this morning, and I noticed they have both "Black Powder" and standard versions of several of their .38 Special bullets. Does anyone know what the difference between the BP and regular versions is? I can't seem to find it on their website. I was thinking they might use a softer lube for the BP bullets?

Regular: http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=108&category=5&secondary=9&keywords=

BP: http://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=435&category=5&secondary=9&keywords=

Thanks in advance.

country gent
03-06-2018, 12:15 PM
More than likely the black powder are a softer alloy, something along the lines of 20-1 lead tin. They are probably lubed with a BP compatable lube like SPG. The smokeless are probably 14-18 bhn and a hard lube meant for smokeless. Some smokeless lubes ( petrolium based) turn black powder fouling into a hard crusty mess that's hard to deal with and degrades accuracy. The SPG and BP lubes ( more animal / vegetable based) help to keep the fouling soft and its easier to work with. On a pistol length barrel the lube grooves on most bullets is more than enough. When you get to a 34" rifle barrel and heavy charges of Black Powder some other measures might also be required such as a blow tube for more moisture in the bore, wiping between shots one or 2 damp patches followed by a dry patch. Or a thin grease cookie under the bullet to add lube.

kipk49
03-06-2018, 12:38 PM
More than likely the black powder are a softer alloy, something along the lines of 20-1 lead tin. They are probably lubed with a BP compatable lube like SPG. The smokeless are probably 14-18 bhn and a hard lube meant for smokeless. Some smokeless lubes ( petrolium based) turn black powder fouling into a hard crusty mess that's hard to deal with and degrades accuracy. The SPG and BP lubes ( more animal / vegetable based) help to keep the fouling soft and its easier to work with. On a pistol length barrel the lube grooves on most bullets is more than enough. When you get to a 34" rifle barrel and heavy charges of Black Powder some other measures might also be required such as a blow tube for more moisture in the bore, wiping between shots one or 2 damp patches followed by a dry patch. Or a thin grease cookie under the bullet to add lube.

Both the BP and smokeless bullets appear to be cast with the same mold, and they're both listed as 12 BHN. The thumbnail picture is even the same. My guess is the only difference is with the lubes that you mentioned.