PDA

View Full Version : 25 cal heavy bullet mold

mm1ut1
03-05-2018, 08:24 AM
I have been looking for a flat base 25 cal mold for a 1/10 twist rifle 100-120 gr. Rcbs makes a 120 gr gc mold. I’m thinking of buying one and having it milled to remove the gas check. Just wondering if anyone has tried this.

Wayne Smith
03-05-2018, 08:59 AM
Years ago we put together a group buy for just that. I would look at what NOE or Accurate have in their catalogues before I started modifying an existing mold. In fact, I'd be exploring the Mountian Molds website before I modified an existing mold. More likely to get what I want that way.

earlmck
03-05-2018, 12:42 PM
I've never had any problem shooting a long boolit like that with the gas check left off, so long as I keep velocities to plain-base velocities. Anymore I always opt for the gas-check version of a mould and then either check or don't check depending on the application intended for the boolit. That said I'll have to admit I always use the checked version in my 25/06 shooting around 1800 fps for a real nice plinker, and have never tried lower velocities.

earlmck
03-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Oooops! Belay that stoopid advice. I've been using a Star so long I forget that leaving off the gas-check is a real big pain if you are sizing with a Lyman or RCBS.

Powder coated, though, might fix you up. When you get the mould give a try with some that you PC or tumble-lube, keep below around 1400 fps, and see if it doesn't do everything you want without further work on the mould.