PDA

View Full Version : .35 Whelen and 358318

richhodg66
03-05-2018, 07:59 AM
I started working with a Handi Rifle in .35 Whelen this past weekend. All I did was load some light loads using .39 Special SWCs and fast pistol powder, but I'd like to get a load using a heavier bullet.

I've had good luck in my .358 Winchester with the NOE clone of the RCBS 200 grain FP and if need be, I'll settle on that one, but I have the mold for the 359318 and also the heavier 358009. The limited amount of working with it I did seemed to indicate the 358318 wasn't very accurate, I suspect the nose shape and diameter is the reason. Anyway, has anyone had good luck with it in the Whelen? I have a bunch cast up already. I have several powders that should work, I'd prefer IMR 4320 since I have a good bit of it and it was a winner for deer loads in the .358.

Also, has anyone tried flattening the nose a bit, possible with a flat top punch? I'm wondering if that might help accuracy, not to mention terminal performance on game. Could flattening the nose also bump up the nose diameter a little? Guess I'll need to try a few and see.

35Whelen
03-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Have a read of Goodsteels article on the .... If you do a custom search in the top right corner of this page...type in 35 Whelen 359318 and 358 Win...you'll have hours of reading on those two boolits.

This will get you started.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?172689-I-believe-the-cast-lead-rifle-boolit-is-the-most-effective-projectile-in-the-world