PDA

View Full Version : Home made Pizza dough recipe ...

Reverend Al
03-05-2018, 04:26 AM
My brother in law is out visiting with us from Manitoba and we spent the day up at our local range with about a half a dozen of my rifles so that he could do some shooting before he heads back home next Tuesday. When we got home this afternoon I made up a double batch of my home made yeast raised Pizza dough and then made two large Pizzas for dinner, one Ham and Pineapple and one Pepperoni, Sauteed Onions, and Black Olives both topped off with a generous helping of Mozzarella cheese. We couldn't finish all of it, so we have a few slices left over to enjoy tomorrow!

Homemade Pizza Crust Recipe

1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon shortening
1 3/4 cups flour
3 tablespoons olive oil

Activate the yeast in the luke warm water, letting it sit for about 10 minutes or until it starts to foam on top.

Place sugar, salt, shortening and boiling water in a large bowl, stir until sugar and shortening dissolve. Cool to lukewarm. Add yeast mixture.

Add 1/2 cup flour and beat until smooth. Add remaining flour or enough to make dough just barely firm enough to handle.

Knead until smooth on a lightly floured board. Divide in half. Knead each piece into a smooth ball. Flatten each ball on to a lightly greased round or rectangular pizza pan. Press out to spread the dough around the pan, creating a slight rim round the edge. Let rise for about 15 minutes in a warm place.

Pre-heat your oven to 375º F. (Ovens vary on temperatures, so you'll have to experiment with the proper setting a bit.)

Brush the dough lightly with olive oil. Add your favorite toppings.
Bake for 18 to 25 minutes (again, ovens vary). Check it every few minutes after about 15 to 16 minutes to make sure that it doesn't burn! The edges will turn a nice golden brown when it's done.

Best results are if you use an ironware baking stone to bake the pizza, the big round style that is made especially for pizzas … (we have two of them!)

https://i.imgur.com/FMtW7kW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QBkwF1r.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OfjN9Qx.jpg

Hickory
03-05-2018, 05:09 AM
If you have diabetes like I have, you need to keep the carbs down.
The way I do that is I use tortillas for the crust. You still get the great taste of pizza with far less carbohydrates.
But, if you don't have diabetes, enjoy this great recipe.

Reverend Al
03-05-2018, 01:14 PM
An excessive amount of "carbs" means different things to different people ...

https://i.imgur.com/in1efnZ.jpg

:bigsmyl2:

MaryB
03-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Alternative for lower carb(and my hands down favorite crust) https://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php thin cracker style crust.

Reverend Al
03-06-2018, 12:19 AM
I love my soft, flavourful, yeasty raised crust ... "**** the carbs, full speed ahead!"

;)

Walks
03-06-2018, 12:27 AM
The old guy who ran the Pizza place near where I grew up thought anyone who put fruit on a pizza was a "blankety-blank. I agree with him. Pizza dough is interesting though.

brewer12345
03-06-2018, 12:34 AM
My recipe is pretty similar except...

Grind your flour fresh from whole wheat. There is nothing like it. Use a pizza stone and crank the oven up as high as it will go (mine goes to 550, the special stone on the grill can get up to 700+).

Hickory
03-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Use a pizza stone...
the special stone on the grill can get up to 700+).

Not many people know that you can make pizza on a grill.
I used to do it all the time when my kids live at home.
I've only made it twice since they moved out.

DCP
03-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Not many people know that you can make pizza on a grill.
I used to do it all the time when my kids live at home.
I've only made it twice since they moved out.

Yes, Pizza on the grill is to die for. Smoke gives is a different flavor.

jimlj
03-06-2018, 12:54 PM
I use the Artisan bread in 5 minutes basic recipe for pizza crust. It works good and I usually have some in the fridge ready to go. I'd imagine if you added a bit of olive oil and sugar to the basic recipe you would get real close to Reverend Al's.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-06-2018, 01:01 PM
That pizza dough looks awesome.
My brother does something similar using a bread making machine that makes a awesome crust. Sadly, I don't recall the details, but if you don't mind cleaning up the machine, it doesn't all the other work involved.

disclaimer: I gotta watch the carbs as well :(

DougGuy
03-06-2018, 01:05 PM
I like everything up to the shortening part. This stuff is pure trans fats and I won't eat it. I will season cast iron with it but that polymerizes it and it doesn't cook off into the food cooked in the iron. You could find a shortening substitute that is a much healthier choice than Crisco.

Knightflyer
03-28-2018, 07:07 PM
Nuts. I use a bread machine pizza recipe but would like to try this one. BUT... I just saw this, and don't really have the time to do a yeast recipe tonight, and tomorrow is Pesach (Passover). So now you've got my mouth watering and I've got to wait until the Feast of unleavened bread is over! Hate it when that happens... :holysheep

CastingFool
03-28-2018, 07:17 PM
My wife has a pizza recipe that uses cauliflower for the crust. Amazingly enough, it is pretty good. You have to grate it, and then dry it out a bit, in the oven, before putting the toppings on and baking it.

Knightflyer
03-29-2018, 10:04 AM
You should post it! My youngest son (14) is very picky and getting him to eat vegetables is a chore. But that might just work...

farmerjim
03-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Nuts. I use a bread machine pizza recipe but would like to try this one. BUT... I just saw this, and don't really have the time to do a yeast recipe tonight, and tomorrow is Pesach (Passover). So now you've got my mouth watering and I've got to wait until the Feast of unleavened bread is over! Hate it when that happens... :holysheep

Make your pizza on unleavened bread from the bread machine. Will that work?

Wife makes pizza dough in the bread machine. Venison pizza is great. I have not had a commercial pizza in 30 years.

Knightflyer
03-29-2018, 01:01 PM

Wife makes pizza dough in the bread machine. Venison pizza is great. I have not had a commercial pizza in 30 years.

My sons have been thinking about it. I'll probably egg them on this year. :) We occasionally have commercial pizza when my daughter is feeling lazy and it's her night to cook. She's the only one with expendable money in the house, lol.

Arkansas Paul
03-29-2018, 01:06 PM
The way I do that is I use tortillas for the crust. You still get the great taste of pizza with far less carbohydrates.

Look at recipes for cauliflower pizza crust.
You can't pick up a slice, you have to eat it with a fork. But I love the taste of cauliflower. It tastes great.

Smoke4320
03-29-2018, 01:08 PM

care to share that recipe ?

farmerjim
03-29-2018, 01:28 PM
care to share that recipe ?

https://food.onehowto.com/recipe/how-to-make-unleavened-pizza-dough-6140.html
Or just leave the yeast or baking powder/soda out.

Moonie
03-29-2018, 06:57 PM

As a diabetic myself I can tell you tortilla's have lots of carbs, perhaps not as many as pizza crust. This recipe makes a great crust and while it might not be quite the same as regular pizza crust it is pretty close:

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/

dave524
04-01-2018, 06:24 PM
Bread machine on dough cycle

1 cup Beer
1 Tbsp Shortening
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
2 3/4 Cups Flour
1 1/4 Tsp Yeast

I set my gas oven to 475 F on convection.

Pipefitter
04-01-2018, 06:33 PM
One cup of plain yogurt and enough self rising flour to make a good dough.

Czech_too
11-24-2020, 02:01 PM
OK, I gotta ask. How does this pizza dough take to being frozen?
I like to make a pizza during the cooler months, weekly, and have used store bought dough in the past. Not bread dough, supposedly, but labeled as pizza dough.
Rather than make it every week I'd like to make up enough for say 4-6 pies and freeze what I'm not using.

Triggerfinger
11-24-2020, 03:39 PM
Nice!

Lloyd Smale
11-25-2020, 06:22 AM
Alternative for lower carb(and my hands down favorite crust) https://www.pizzamaking.com/pizzainnstyle.php thin cracker style crust.

what is sheeted? and what is a cutter pan mary? I like a thin crust pizza but never found a way to do it and am interested.

MaryB
11-25-2020, 04:33 PM
what is sheeted? and what is a cutter pan mary? I like a thin crust pizza but never found a way to do it and am interested.

Sheeted is using a rolling machine to thin it. I use a rolling pin and arm muscle... it is a VERY stiff dough and a workout to get it thin. A cutter pan has a lip that cuts the dough to make a perfect round pizza. Drape dough over pan and use a rolling pin to trim excess. I skip that step an just do a free form pizza by rolling it to 1/16th inch thick then squeezing the edge to form a rim to keep sauce and topping on. I work on parchment paper that makes it super easy to transfer to my pizza stone which is 3/4 inch thick commercial grade. Those thin round stones are more for presentation, they do not have enough thickness to flash cook the crust in a 550 degree oven.

This crust is called a cracker crust because of the bubbles that form in it(like a saltine). If you ever ate at a Pizza Inn that is the crust they served. Key is the counter top ferment for 24 hours. It adds a LOT of flavor and gives the flour time to absorb the little bit of water that is in this crust. When mixed and formed into a ball it is going to look dry and crumbly but by the next day it gets smooth and glossy like a good dough should. This is my go to pizza dough! I have frozen excess and it is okay...not as good as fresh but a shortcut for busy days.

Winger Ed.
11-25-2020, 06:34 PM
[ I gotta ask. How does this pizza dough take to being frozen?
]

It might depend on the yeast, but several different kinds of bread are sold in the freezer section
that you thaw out in the refrigerator, then set out to let rise.

I've gotten some from Sam's Club that come frozen and look like a big raw hamburger bun.

Lloyd Smale
11-26-2020, 06:46 AM
Sheeted is using a rolling machine to thin it. I use a rolling pin and arm muscle... it is a VERY stiff dough and a workout to get it thin. A cutter pan has a lip that cuts the dough to make a perfect round pizza. Drape dough over pan and use a rolling pin to trim excess. I skip that step an just do a free form pizza by rolling it to 1/16th inch thick then squeezing the edge to form a rim to keep sauce and topping on. I work on parchment paper that makes it super easy to transfer to my pizza stone which is 3/4 inch thick commercial grade. Those thin round stones are more for presentation, they do not have enough thickness to flash cook the crust in a 550 degree oven.

This crust is called a cracker crust because of the bubbles that form in it(like a saltine). If you ever ate at a Pizza Inn that is the crust they served. Key is the counter top ferment for 24 hours. It adds a LOT of flavor and gives the flour time to absorb the little bit of water that is in this crust. When mixed and formed into a ball it is going to look dry and crumbly but by the next day it gets smooth and glossy like a good dough should. This is my go to pizza dough! I have frozen excess and it is okay...not as good as fresh but a shortcut for busy days.

thanks mary. I love a crust like that and will have to try it.

BJK
04-13-2021, 11:17 PM
Guests tell me that I make the best pizza they ever had. I use the Americas Test Kitchen long fermentation dough. I can post it here but you can also find it online with a search. I put the dough in the BBQ refrigerator in the shop where no hands are opening the door every few minutes to see if anything has changed in the last 10 minutes. The temp' hovers near 32°. It's a 3 day dough but I've kept it up to 2 weeks and the flavor just gets better.

But their Detroit style pizza is pretty good too.

Unfortunately I'm in ketosis and carbs are a no-no for me now. I miss my pizza more than I can possibly express. I make a pizza bowl now and then but without that long fermentation dough flavor it just isn't the same.

gwpercle
04-14-2021, 05:09 PM
An excessive amount of "carbs" means different things to different people ...

https://i.imgur.com/in1efnZ.jpg

:bigsmyl2:

And a "Six-Pack" means different things to different people ... Awesome Six-Pack !!!
Gary

Butzbach
04-14-2021, 05:37 PM
Nom, nom, nom!

CoolHandMoss
04-14-2021, 07:45 PM
Your oven isn't hot enough. The correct temperature is the maximum for cooking pizza. Give it a try. Better texture. Better flavor.

Looks like a good dough though. Similar to how I make it.

Jesse Heywood
05-18-2021, 03:04 AM
FOCACCIA

(foe-CAT-cha) is a flat oven-baked Italian bread, which may be topped with onions, herbs or other foodstuffs, related to pizza.

Ingredients:
1 cup water (80 degrees)
3 tablespoons butter (melted)
1/2 cup milk (80 degrees)
3 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups bread flour
2 teaspoon bread machine fast rise yeast

Directions:

Add ingredients to bread machine pan in order listed. Run on dough cycle.

Place dough onto floured surfaces. Let rest 15 minutes. Knead dough about 1 minute. Roll dough to make 2 thin crusts. Place on greased pans and press dough evenly, forming an edge. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 20 to 30 minutes until slightly risen.

Ingredients (part 2):
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons rosemary leaves
1 teaspoon garlic salt -- or to taste

Brush dough with olive oil, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, rosemary leaves and garlic salt. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 7 minutes or until nicely browned.

Geezer in NH
05-21-2021, 05:43 PM
That Pizza with the rotted olives is good for my low carb diet for my diabetes. That is because I dump it in the trash! Rotted olives yuckh!!!!!!!!!!!!