PDA

View Full Version : Taurus M66 issue

Mr_Sheesh
03-04-2018, 06:31 AM
NIB M66. Comes with an orange plastic safety doohickey disk wedged just behind the back of the cylinder. The cylinder release isn't releasing the cylinder, though (The cylinder is not moving at all, and the front of the crane appears slightly wedged open; The "Safety Lock" is screwed in (disabled) so it's not that.) Trying to remove that orange plastic safety thing and/or get the cylinder opened, sorta hard to load it without being able to open the cylinder! Anyone have any ideas here? Thanks.

(The orange dealie is stopping the cylinder from revolving, and the cylinder latch is engaged when I try to push the cylinder release forward; I can free it up with trigger or hammer but not fully cock the revolver, the orange deal seems to be really doing a GOOD job at binding everything solidly in place. Zero directions on removing this in the manual & can't see anything online. Used to S&W and Rugers and this is not acting like them, so far.)

Guesser
03-04-2018, 11:26 AM
The extractor rod is probably unscrewed slightly. Happens on S&W and Taurus. It is "Left" threaded, if you can turn it in slightly it will probably allow the crane/cylinder to swing out and then you can put a drop of loktite on the threads and it won't happen again. Common occurrence!!

nagantguy
03-04-2018, 11:29 AM
The extractor rod is probably unscrewed slightly. Happens on S&W and Taurus. It is "Left" threaded, if you can turn it in slightly it will probably allow the crane/cylinder to swing out and then you can put a drop of loktite on the threads and it won't happen again. Common occurrence!!

The above is correct and well explained, a Taurus 66 brand new in the box did this exact thing at a recent CPL class we ran, someone on hand happened to be a kitchen table revolver smith from back in the day and turned the extractor rod about a quarter turn and that was enough to open the cylinder.

Petrol & Powder
03-04-2018, 12:22 PM
I agree with Guesser, the extractor rod probably wasn't tightened at the factory and that is binding the action. You can sometimes turn the rod with your fingers (remember LEFT hand threads) and tighten it enough to get the action open. Once the action is open you should remove the cylinder from the frame, put empty brass in the chambers and using the appropriate tool, tighten the extractor rod.

By the way, I stopped playing in the Taurus sandbox years ago because of **** like this. I'm NOT impressed with Taurus and simply do not deal with them anymore.

Walkingwolf
03-04-2018, 02:00 PM
The new 66 does not lock on the on the extractor rod, it locks on a detente in the frame and a spring loaded catch in the crane. This might be what is locking it up, the loose extractor is more of a S&W problem, so scat like that is just scat. All brands of guns can have a problem at some time. OTH I just bought a Taurus model 82, and it is absolutely flawless. I guess I am the only one that has good luck with these guns, but then I am not a snob. My Smiths with the IL also have been flawless, just can't figure how I am so lucky.

Guesser
03-04-2018, 03:03 PM
I own and use as many Taurus revolvers as I do S&W. I have suffered equally from the unscrewed extractor rod in both brands. Never had a Colt do that.....and I know why. Llama Super Comanche did it to me....oncet!!!

FergusonTO35
03-04-2018, 03:44 PM
My local shop sells bunches of Taurus .38's and .357's with few complaints. I'm planning to pick up a stainless 85 at some point. Taurus autos on the other hand are pretty much only purchased by price shoppers.

Mr_Sheesh
03-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the extractor rod. It's as tight as my Yeti hands can make it (didn't rotate at ALL) and I can move it around if I try, so it isn't binding at all, seems. Was good to know it's a LH thread, but I doubt I could even loosen it if I tried. Starting to sound like it's a "return it" issue; Oh well. I'll try the factory tomorrow (or their local reps) and if they cannot tell me how to fix this, I'll return it & I can go to a Ruger BH "worst case", or S&W, had those and THEY behaved well.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-04-2018, 05:34 PM
I'd take the side plate off and remove the action parts. Should be able to get the cylinder open that way.

Mr_Sheesh
03-04-2018, 05:45 PM
I could do that, have a good Chapman gun screwdriver set, but for a brand new revolver seems a PITA to have to do it. Thinking for now, get to it tomorrow, something else to do first.

Walkingwolf
03-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Sadly, it doesn't seem to be the extractor rod. It's as tight as my Yeti hands can make it (didn't rotate at ALL) and I can move it around if I try, so it isn't binding at all, seems. Was good to know it's a LH thread, but I doubt I could even loosen it if I tried. Starting to sound like it's a "return it" issue; Oh well. I'll try the factory tomorrow (or their local reps) and if they cannot tell me how to fix this, I'll return it & I can go to a Ruger BH "worst case", or S&W, had those and THEY behaved well.

That's because late model Taurus revolvers do not lock on the extractor rod. If you get it open you will see a little spring loaded nub sticking up on top of the crane. This nub goes into a detente in the frame. Check to see if the nub can be pushed flush with the top of the crane, if not that is your problem. No matter what you should send it back, just like a Ruger, or Smith with a problem. Sorry you had bad luck, but I am loving my 82.

Mr_Sheesh
03-04-2018, 07:04 PM
OK I'll take a look at that, but as the crane is already about 1/16" from flush I suspect that that's not latched, it looks more like it's warped which would be BAD...

Biggin
03-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Just my 2 cents but I've owned.many Taurus revolvers. Had some back in the 80s with issues but everything in the last 20 plus years has been fine . Sorry to hear about your problem

Mr_Sheesh
03-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Figured this one out finally; While waiting for Taurus CS on the phone, I tried pressing HARD on the crane, it popped into position and all of a sudden the cylinder release works - So I'm unstuck. Next will be reloading some DEWCs and test playing with it, then Keiths after that probably :)

nagantguy
03-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Glad to here it; I've had good and bad luck with Taurus over the years, most were good, the only piece of the line that seemed universally terrible was the 24/7 I think it was called , mine was never right mother was my friends and the few that have come in the door for classes always FTF , but I've also had good luck with other lines, did own a raging bull in 454 that the key lock safety would lock and the key would not unlock it, met another guy with the same trouble but they sell lots of them and most seem to work fine.