PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone save pics of targets?

pmer
03-04-2018, 01:03 AM
I suppose many save targets or pictures of targets. I just started to save pictures of targets on the lap top. I down loaded a My Notes app from the Microsoft store and it seems to work good. It's not a spread sheet so it's not heavy on data but I can jot down load info and attach a picture in from Photos.

The target pic is pretty helpful and they populate on the bottom of the note.

Blanket
03-04-2018, 01:28 AM
cut out screamers only to tack up on my wall

EMR
03-04-2018, 01:39 AM
I do sometimes. But I primarily load and shoot only pistols. So not so much for load development like one does for rifles.

If I do, it’s because I get impressed with how well a pistol and I get along sometimes. This was my G20sf unsupported at 7 yards.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/3a9d1f5b6381d16eb89445e0e98c7fb5.jpg

I honestly couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn with rifles. LOL

Dryball
03-04-2018, 01:55 AM
you ouht to see some of the "benchrest crowd." They carry Pictures and targets not only in their phones...but in their wallets like they are family pictures

pmer
03-04-2018, 02:01 AM

Here is a snip of the note. I was using a 4'' Model 29 and 44 spl cases. I can click on the pics to enlarge the target pictures and compare two different charges of Unique to the one Titgroup load.

I would occasionally keep a picture of a nice looking target too but I'm starting to think if some is good more is better LOL. Yeah it is a free app so it has adds on the bottom.

slim1836
03-04-2018, 02:12 AM
I save (at least most of) my targets for reference, very rarely take pics of them.

Slim

MaLar
03-04-2018, 02:12 AM
I have an older computer running Linux in my loading room with a cheap Cannon scanner hooked to it.
I'll scan targets ammo and bullets and save them into files on the computer with records.

imashooter2
03-04-2018, 02:36 AM
you ouht to see some of the "benchrest crowd." They carry Pictures and targets not only in their phones...but in their wallets like they are family pictures

Hence the term "billfold group."

Rcmaveric
03-04-2018, 03:49 AM
I keep excel log. Put the Load ID in the corner, then it has the shot strings then next to it i put a picture of the shots. 215701

robg
03-04-2018, 08:54 AM
My wife has laminated my best ones .other ones I clip in my reloading log book with all relevant load information.funny how the Same loads seem to shoot worse as I get older.

trapper9260
03-04-2018, 09:04 AM
The only targets I save is for load work up. I do not take any photos. Just the target itself and tape the info I use to it and file it. Because I use different powders that is call for on the data and what ever one that group the best is the one that I work on and keep it all together that way I know that later on if some powders I can not find anymore for some reason I will know what other powders I use and see what one will work next.

Bent Ramrod
03-04-2018, 09:26 AM
I snip noteworthy groups out of paper targets and paste them into my loading notebooks to illustrate what can happen with superior loadings.

I save long series of offhand paper targets to determine any improvements in my holding with practice. Generally I throw out these collections after a while because they depress me.

I’ve started using my otherwise merely annoying I-Phone in one of those S-4 Gear frames on my spotting scope to get on gong or silhouette targets. Running these little movies means I don’t need somebody to spot for me. When I get an especially interesting hit, I transfer it to my I-Mac, trim it down, and run it as a loop ten times. Probably as close as I’ll ever get to a Grand Slam. :?

phonejack
03-04-2018, 09:52 AM
If I can repeat the group with the same load then I will keep the target with the load data written on it for reference later. Rifle only.

GhostHawk
03-04-2018, 09:55 AM
I save targets, some especially noteworthy pictures.

First one is .45 colt in a Handi rifle first trip to the range.
Top 3 were fired at 25 yards, bottom 3 at 50.

Next one is my .357mag Handi rifle. 3 bullets in one hole at 50 yards.

Momma can throw away targets if I get too many of them stacked up.
A picture saved on my laptop and uploaded here is always available to be refered to.

Preacher Jim
03-04-2018, 10:02 AM
I save my targets because i list,
Load and bullet, primer, case.
Wind and weather conditions, tempiture
Yardage and correction required for wind.
My targets become my research note book stored in ring binders
Chronograph reading
Round count on the barrel for knowledge of barrel.

rockrat
03-04-2018, 10:58 AM
Guilty as charged. Do carry a pic in my wallet of a group I never imagined I would shoot
Shot a slightly smaller group the next day. This pic is right at 0.100" ctc
Wind was about 8-10 mph @ 8 o'clock and variable

Bookworm
03-04-2018, 11:35 AM
I save a few targets. Mostly handgun, because I shoot mostly handgun. I will cut out the pertinent part of the target, and save it in a 3-ring binder for that caliber.

Mundane, run of the mill targets get trashed, although during a workup I will save a series to show group progression.

pertnear
03-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Guilty as charged. Do carry a pic in my wallet of a group I never imagined I would shoot
Shot a slightly smaller group the next day. This pic is right at 0.100" ctc
Wind was about 8-10 mph @ 8 o'clock and variable

I'd say that is a pretty good group, but not enough info! Was it 2 shots with your Mod 94 .30-30 at 200 yds?

J/K I'm envious!

RED BEAR
03-04-2018, 11:53 AM
My shooting skills are not such that I would save a target. Shoot pretty good when young. Eyes and arthritis in hands cured that. I mainly shoot 7 to 15 yards fast draw ( at least as fast as I can move these days) for self defence . as long as I can quick fire and keep all in black I am happy. I do try to get to the range at least once a week. But if I shot as good as some of the pics I might save them to.

nun2kute
03-04-2018, 12:10 PM
I save all my targets. Just so I can put them on my new SPL. (Special Purpose Laptop) Been using Apache Open office to make all the data storage for my groups and other important stuff. I'm sure Excel would work but I refuse to give MS anymore $$$ than I have to. Free stuff works too.

PhantomRider64
03-04-2018, 01:14 PM
This is a good idea!!!

Being relatively new to reloading and casting I am interested in anything that can help me find a load that I and my gun like to shoot. At this time I am only reloading for enjoyable shooting on my in process home range (30 yds). I am also going to get a chronograph to help with load development since I am just loading in the middle of the range for my components. I would like to eventually shoot for accuracy just to see what my ammo, gun and I are capable of,,,but right now I am paper plate accurate and for plinking and defense this is good enough for me.

I did keep the target that I shot the first time I fired my new 1911,,,I like the reasons and ways stated above for keeping targets. This is what I like about the forum,,,the little ideas that can really help.

Recluse
03-04-2018, 01:15 PM
I save (at least most of) my targets for reference, very rarely take pics of them.

Slim

Likewise here. Save all load development targets for rifle. For handguns, I shoot at a 3"x5" white notecard. I record all the data on that notecard about load, shooting characteristics, etc. Those notecards are separated by caliber and go into ziplock bags for future reference. Final thing I do is record those same notes in my handloaders logbook/notebook.

funny how the Same loads seem to shoot worse as I get older.

I'm having those same woes. I think it's because the powder and brass have gotten a little bit older and less accurate as a result.

:coffee:

MUSTANG
03-04-2018, 01:26 PM
I take pictures of all Targets, Clip the pictures area that shows group and pertinent Bull/Scale Grid/Ring area to keep file size down, and use excel to capture all the load/bullet/lube/WX/etc... data. Over time I have found this useful. Might be that I run across a powder I have not had for a couple of years, or decide to change powder/primer/boolit/bullet etc.. and want to see loads and how the performed in the past. Or maybe I read on the forum where someone is having success (or Failure) and want to compare to what my experience was in the past.

Yep; I find taking pics and record data on excel spread sheets; even the bad (but not the Horrendous where few to no rounds hit a target).

sharpshooter3040
03-04-2018, 04:35 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180304/54d040f2f690894f8d8fbc03f28f79fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharpshooter3040
03-04-2018, 04:35 PM
Nah not me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyFlatline
03-04-2018, 05:26 PM
I suppose many save targets or pictures of targets. I just started to save pictures of targets on the lap top. I down loaded a My Notes app from the Microsoft store and it seems to work good. It's not a spread sheet so it's not heavy on data but I can jot down load info and attach a picture in from Photos.

The target pic is pretty helpful and they populate on the bottom of the note.

I save pictures on the PC for load work up for each rifle. Makes it so much easier to track, especially if it takes a long period of time to find that perfect combination

Idaho45guy
03-04-2018, 06:25 PM
I take pictures every range outing and every load so I can track the performance of various loads. I also take pics of my GSSF match targets to help identify trends or issues.

From my match last week...

pmer
03-04-2018, 09:38 PM

I think I finally scored something more zippy with the 38-40 Contender Carbine. Shooting 20.5 grains of 300-mp and a NOE 403-200 with the HP pins (180 grains). These were sprayed with HF yellow powder, weight separated and using no gas check. I'm leaning on this boolit pretty hard but I think 150 yard milk jugs full of water should be nervous! The boolit breaks up hitting a jug of water at 10 yards sending chunks of lead through the plastic while spreading out it flat.

Had a Squib then started adding 0.5 grains of dacron filler. Distance is 100 yards using a 5 power scope.

Thin Man
03-05-2018, 08:38 AM
No photos for me as I am not that computer savvy. I keep the targets, both good and bad, from load development to remind me what works, or not. Along with this I maintain a journal with details about the various firearms I have tested. It tells me a lot about my older work where targets were not saved. Each target has firearm and load data written on it to help my weak memory. As the muscles wet softer and the eyes more dim, I am sure that before too long I will be reading targets with powder burns on them from being so close to the muzzle... At least I still get up and out to the range.

winelover
03-05-2018, 09:03 AM
No photos for me as I am not that computer savvy. I keep the targets, both good and bad, from load development to remind me what works, or not. Along with this I maintain a journal with details about the various firearms I have tested. It tells me a lot about my older work where targets were not saved. Each target has firearm and load data written on it to help my weak memory. As the muscles wet softer and the eyes more dim, I am sure that before too long I will be reading targets with powder burns on them from being so close to the muzzle... At least I still get up and out to the range.

I do pretty much the same. I use a printer to make my targets, on standard size paper. After shooting, all pertinent info is recorded, including ambient temperature, wind conditions, group size and load data. Holes are added with a three ring binder punch to store them in loose-leaf binders according to caliber.

Winelover

Tom Myers
03-05-2018, 10:30 AM
For those that are computer oriented, this is how I keep Load, Target, Shot and Chronograph records.

The Precision Load Records Application (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Prec_Rec-Bas.htm) from the Precision Shooting Software Store (https://secure.tmtpages.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77&products_id=217) does it all.

This is the link to the online Help File for the Load Records application (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/Prec_Rec_Help5.html).

First I Print out the target (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/hs163.htm) I want to use.

Then, take the target and a chronograph to the range and shoot a target through the chronograph.
I can either take a laptop to the range or return with the target and chronograph to my desktop computer then:

Create a new target record (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/hlp_arms_and9.htm) keyed to the firearm that was used.

Import the Chronograph data (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/hs164.htm) while creating shot records for the new target record.

http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/Chrono%20Enter.png

Electronically score the shots (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/hs162.htm) on the target.

http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/Score~place1%20Targets.png

Analyze the shot coordinates and chronograph data (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/hlp_arms_and10.htm)

http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/Analysis.png

Evaluate and rate the Load and target (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/hlp_arms_and5.htm).

http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/LoadRec-Evaluation.png

I now have an instantly retrievable, evaluated and complete record of all Load, Target, Shot and Chronograph data keyed to the firearm used

If the target is exceptional and one I would like to keep or display, I Run the target back through the printer (http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/hs163.htm) and print the Load Data, weather, shot coordinates, chronograph values and target statistics on the bottom of the actual target.

http://www.tmtpages.com/New_Prec_Rec/Help/Score~Print%20Targets%20Statistics.png

rockrat
03-05-2018, 11:29 AM
pertnear---was only three shots @100yards. Saw that I had a tiny hole and when I notice that I get a bit nervous and will invariably pull the next or the fifth shot and ruin the group. So, I quit at three.
Caliber is kind of like a 6.5 mm BR and this was only the second load I had tried with this bullet. Built the gun for our Varmint Silhouette matches here, 150 meters to 500 yds. Went up in powder charge a few tenths of a grain and shot again the next day and came out with a 0.066" group for three shots, my best group ever!!! Blind squirrel syndrome you know!!

HangFireW8
03-05-2018, 11:38 AM
My challenge was getting almost 3 decades of targets and load data into a computer. For years I kept putting it off. Starting a couple of years ago I rose to the challenge. Hopefully this will help someone.

I have an old Canon g4 with lots of glass and a moderate but sensitive 5MP sensor. I don't have to crop or resize as long as I photograph thoughtfully, as file size is already moderate, and the pic proportion is not that awful HD ratio.

I photographed targets straight down filling the frame with good lighting against a contrasting color background so holes show through clearly. Roughly 700 targets (I know I'm a slacker).

I photographed them in rough chronological order 40 or 50 at a time. I put them in an owncloud directory. Later at my leisure on another laptop I sorted them into a date named directories and created a readme text file in each with easily indexible information like guns, loads, weather, range, etc.

OwnCloud replicates all my changes on my desktop and both laptops.

Now that I have this "database" to reference ( I just completed the process last month) I am figuring out how to integrate it with my LibreOffice relaoding notes, which I scanned in.

What I learned is that I need to mark sight-in targets as well as the rest.

gwpercle
03-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Not only do I save the targets, I record all the data right on the target. The good ones go on the wall so I can brag on them and I can see which load was a good one.
A visual reminder of the load is a lot more informative. The exceptional bug hole groups get cut out and carried in my wallet right in front of the kids pictures...can't bring the wall with you and you gotta show them really good groups off to your drinking/shooting buddies.
Gary

white eagle
03-05-2018, 09:27 PM
save actual targets in a 3 ring binder
with load,bullet,distance,alloy and date
for future reference

Tom W.
03-05-2018, 09:33 PM
I used to take a picture of the first target with a new firearm, and when I traded the firearm off I'd delete the photo. I didn't do it with my newest pistol, however....

skeettx
03-05-2018, 09:40 PM
Mine are in a 3 ring binder with data besides the target
308 Win, cast bullet, 4227, etc, etc
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-025S13.JPG

bob208
03-06-2018, 12:31 PM
I have piles of them. one I framed and have hanging in the living room. it is a one shot tie beaker. I pin wheeled it. 25yd. off hand open sights with a muzzleloader. .440 round ball .020 patch 45 gr. 3f.

Smoke4320
03-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Yes .. I save them on the phone and in the computer for ref/safety purposes
Shoot too many calibers to keep it all in the head ..

Beau Cassidy
03-06-2018, 09:26 PM
I save all targets- good or bad. I put them in labeled folders according to the gun. The best, most reliable groups have the loads written on the front of the folder. I frequently reference back to them.

Big Boomer
03-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Yes, I keep targets with pertinent info written on the lower left corner: date, gun, load, distance, place, etc. Looking over the targets over the years I find something very interesting and one of the reasons I keep the targets - not the original reason. Shooting at different times of the day with varying degrees of light, etc., the same firearm with the same load will impact the target at different inexplicable points. After 25 years of this I still cannot fully pin down why the same gun with the same load will impact a different point. I'm talking handguns with open sights, of course.
Big Boomer

captbligh
03-08-2018, 11:46 AM
I started using a simple program that I read about in Handloader magazine a few months ago. It's called "On Target Precision Calculator" and there's a free version you can try out. I liked it so paid the fee to install on my PC.
I scan the targets after getting back from the range. You measure a reference line on the target and then set that distance on the image, I just use my calipers to measure distance between two lines on the target. You can mark your aimpoint on the image. You select caliber and mark bullet holes. The program computes all of the measurements. I particularly like the concept of Mean to Center. My minimal understanding of the concept is that it reflects the mean distance any bullet will land from the center of the group. Import data from my Caldwell Precision G2 chronograph and display as notes. Print it out. Punch three holes and file in a binder.215987

bangerjim
03-08-2018, 03:18 PM
I shoot at the printed bull's-eye of the "target/s" out there. Then, after 6 rounds, I shoot a round away from the eye cluster and use that as my next bull's-eye. By the time I am done with 5-8 new bull's-eye's, there is not much left of the target but confetti! I hate walking out just to get a target to brag about. I know what I can/have done and that's all that matters to me. Kinda like 18 holes of golf. Why keep the score card? You are really playing against yourself in golf. My target practice is the same way. I do not or ever will shoot in competitions.

I write on the ammo box all the info I will ever need.

gray wolf
03-10-2018, 12:11 PM
I save some for future reference, also to show myself my results are repeatable. Red targets are 22 Cal. pellet rifle. Bottom target is black powder.

pmer
03-12-2018, 08:43 AM
I've used a load book for a long time. It's an old Franklin Day Planner and it has held up pretty good for over 20 years. It has section a section for deer hunts too, like how the hunt went and types of firearm, weather and temperature. It's starting to run out of sections for new cartridges and doesn't have any target pictures.

TXGunNut
03-12-2018, 04:49 PM
I take pics of good groups to send to my shooting buddy if he cancels on me. ;-) I used to label & save targets but they piled up and I never looked at them. I'll also take pics to help with my load notebook when I get home.

DxieLandMan
05-01-2018, 10:31 AM
This is from an M1 Garand, standing at 50 yards. 219647