PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a mould

mart
11-23-2005, 09:23 PM
I have a Hensley and Gibbs four cavity mould that throws about a 125-130 grain SWC that I picked up in a bunch of stuff at a yard sale. It appears to have been sprayed with mold release. It doesn't seem to want to come out. Any suggestions on removing the stuff. It is thick enough that it gives the bullets a rough look. I know I tried the Midway mould release many years ago on another mould and hated the stuff but don't remember how I got it out. It looks like the same residue that the Midway stuff left behind. Thanks for any help. Mart

Bullshop
11-23-2005, 09:28 PM
I would try acetone.
BIC/BS

Johnch
11-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Brake or carb cleaner in the spray can should remove it .

Johnch

David R
11-23-2005, 11:01 PM
A toothbrush or one of those brass wire brushes will work with the brakleen or what ever solvent you use.

David

mart
11-24-2005, 12:00 AM
I tried the brake cleaner and brass brush. Wouldn't touch it. It is almost like textured paint. I will give the acetone a try. Thanks. Mart

StarMetal
11-24-2005, 12:06 AM
Wow, it's almost sounds like spray on teflon and none of those solvents will touch teflon, in fact very few solvent, that are safe, will touch teflon. You may have to brush it out and try not to hurt the mould. If you burn teflon it gives off a very toxic fume, in other words poisonous.

Joe

waksupi
11-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Mart, for grins and giggles, I believe I would try the electrolysis rust removal method, and see if it would float the foriegn material off of the metal.

Frank46
11-25-2005, 04:49 AM
Mart, try using automotive rubbing compound. If your solvents aren't doing the trick you may have to resort to more aggresive cleaners. Try the heavy duty stuff which is the rubbing compound and then finish up with the white stuff which is the polishing compound. Put some on a bore brush and rotate in the mold cavity. I use this stuff to clean rifles that I have purchased and the amount of junk that comes out of a supposedly clean barrel is impressive. I have small pill bottles that I mix the compounds up with hoppes. One for the heavy duty stuff and another for the polishing stuff. At this point I don't think you have anything to loose. Remember this stuff is used on car finishes so its not destructive. Frank

Dye
11-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Mart
If you have or can get a small hand held sand blaster. Use baking soda to blast it and it should remove the coating and will not hurt the mould.

Be carefull Dye