PDA

View Full Version : Sludge-like Lead

stare-decisis
09-03-2008, 01:38 AM
HI,
I've been having a problem lately w/my casting and I thought you Gents could help out as I am still a rookie when it comes to my own boolits.
This last particular batch of lead-heated in a Lee furnace, ladled out to a six cavity Lee .40 cal 175 gr Mold using mostly WW w/some lead shot mixed in, was heated to approx 730 degrees. after a few turns I noticed the mold wasn't filling out and then that the ladle was becoming "gunked" up, almost like a sledge type feel to it.
I fluxed a couple times w/some candle wax but this problem kept coming back.
The ladle would gunk up and not pour-
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/stare-decisis/DSCF6840.jpg
This is what the crud looked like when i tossed it to the floor-
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/stare-decisis/DSCF6837.jpg
Its solid but is kind of crumbly...
After searching and looking on this forum it seems maybe I put in a few Zinc WW's that got melted down and sledged everything up? Or maybe the ladle wasn't hot enough? I hate to throw out this bit of lead but I have gotten little boolits for my time w/this batch. Or not fluxing well enough? Or the Heater is not heating to what it says it is?

Jon K
09-03-2008, 01:49 AM
Did you check the temp with a thermometer, or just read the dial on the pot?

The pics looks to me like it's not up to temp.

Jon

DLCTEX
09-03-2008, 02:46 AM
If you melt it again and you get lumps like oatmeal on top, skim off the zinc. then turn the heat up. But it really looks as if it's just not hot enough. DALE

JeffinNZ
09-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Zinc I say.

Willbird
09-03-2008, 05:58 AM
730 is rather low, especially for ladle pouring. I run my RCBS promelt wide open. When ingots are added to even a 1000 degree pot the lead can get slushy, and it acts about like you describe. My first suggestion, is to turn the heat up :-).

There is a very narrow temperature range where WW will run like water, and then just a bit cooler and it starts acting like soft serve ice cream :-).
Bill

Bret4207
09-03-2008, 07:57 AM
More heat!!!

jonk
09-03-2008, 08:58 AM
I agree, not hot enough. Looking at where your dial is set on the pot that's about the minimum I ever run. Usually for pure lead I run the Lee pot right on 10, for wheelweights 8- and that just frosts them.

docone31
09-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Look at your dial, too low heat.
I would bump it up to stir, lower it to get any zinc out, then bump it up to pour again.
I went through that. I now pour hot.

M-Tecs
09-03-2008, 10:12 AM
I would recommend more heat. As some pots age you need to use a higher dial seating to get the same temperature in the pot. High antimony alloys will also give you the cottage cheese or oatmeal look if they are not hot enough. I have some certified foundry alloy that needs higher temps and lots of flux to not sludge up. No zinc in it only higher levels of tin and antimony

runfiverun
09-03-2008, 10:33 AM
more heat. your contacts are probably becoming dirty and what once was hot aint now.
my old lee just barely runs hot enough to ladle and sometimes i gotta help it along..

Blammer
09-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Heat 'mon! We need some more HEAT!

yondering
09-03-2008, 01:10 PM
That's a Lee pot. Where the dial is set is meaningless in comparison to other Lee pots, regarding temperature. That setting could be way too hot, like one of my pots, or it could be too cold, you don't know from looking at the dial.

I agree though that the melt looks too cold. Check the temp with a thermometer.

mooman76
09-03-2008, 07:30 PM
I would heat it up as much as possible and dump it out. Then reheat the pot with some different lead at the same temp and see if you get the same. If you do have zink in it, even a small amount can cause problems moulding bullets and you don't want to keep mixing it with more lead.

mainiac
09-03-2008, 08:58 PM
I ran into this condition when i started using babbit material. To much babbit in the alloy, and i get a slushy looking product. If you was using known alloy (ww and shot) than this probaly doesnt concern you.