PDA

View Full Version : 1946 Delta Drill Press: Oiling Spindle

RG1911
03-01-2018, 01:44 PM
I've got my DP up and running, and found a reproduction owner's manual that says to oil the spindle. But it does not say how. (Apparently, back in 1946, if you had one of these, you'd somehow know.) I sincerely hope it does not involve disassembling the head, removing bearings, etc.

Any suggestions?

Here's a picture. That hole at the top just beneath the pulley set is threaded and used for attaching the belt guard.

Thank you,
Richard

W.R.Buchanan
03-01-2018, 05:52 PM
One of two things or maybe both. Typically you just drop oil on the top of the spindle and that will either lube both the spindle bearings or just the quill.

Or your bearings maybe be sealed or at least shielded in which case they are good to go for life. If you have to replace them just get sealed bearings for replacements, then you won't have this problem.

On Bridgeports the bearings were open and had a felt washer above them to filter out the low flying birds.

You lube the spindle bearings by dropping oil on top of the drawbar and it just runs down and thru the bearings until it drips out the bottom. even my newest machine (1992) is that way.

Gonna give you a hot tip here on Machine oil. Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil" it stays on the job better than anything out there. I have been using it for 30+ years and in my Air Compressor it coats the inside of the tank so there is no rust,,, EVER!

This oil is sticky and stays on the job better than anything out there, including Mobil Vactra Oil or anything else you can come up with. One quart has lasted me for 25+ years!

Randy

Handloader109
03-01-2018, 06:21 PM
One of two things or maybe both. Typically you just drop oil on the top of the spindle and that will either lube both the spindle bearings or just the quill.

Or your bearings maybe be sealed or at least shielded in which case they are good to go for life. If you have to replace them just get sealed bearings for replacements, then you won't have this problem.

On Bridgeports the bearings were open and had a felt washer above them to filter out the low flying birds.

You lube the spindle bearings by dropping oil on top of the drawbar and it just runs down and thru the bearings until it drips out the bottom. even my newest machine (1992) is that way.

Gonna give you a hot tip here on Machine oil. Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil" it stays on the job better than anything out there. I have been using it for 30+ years and in my Air Compressor it coats the inside of the tank so there is no rust,,, EVER!

This oil is sticky and stays on the job better than anything out there, including Mobil Vactra Oil or anything else you can come up with. One quart has lasted me for 25+ years!

RandyNice press. If you aren't hearing roar from bearings, I'd not worry about it. If you feel like there is excess noise, try a little in the top.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

smokeywolf
03-01-2018, 06:28 PM
You may have to use a hypodermic type precision oiler to reach up under the pulley group.

That's all I can add to what Randy said.

john.k
03-01-2018, 07:18 PM
Yes,a few drops on the top of the spindle will run down lubing everything and eventually drip off the chuck jaws.Run the quill up and down while oiling.

RG1911
03-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Many thanks! Fortunately, I have a hypodermic-type oiler. Will look around for the Amsoil.

It turned very stiffly when I powered it up after cleaning it, so figured it needed some lubrication. Otherwise, it's working well. I am going to look out for the smaller table; the one on it is called a production table and does not offer a way to clamp a vise to the table.

Cheers,
Richard

NyFirefighter357
03-01-2018, 09:58 PM
My Walker Turners have oil cups. I'm sure you can just oil the top of the spindle and let it run through. I oiled both machines before I started mine as they both hadn't be used in well over 20yrs ea. I have this one & a bench top model as well.
https://i.imgur.com/KEX2OT5.jpg

RG1911
03-01-2018, 10:24 PM
My Walker Turners have oil cups. I'm sure you can just oil the top of the spindle and let it run through. I oiled both machines before I started mine as they both hadn't be used in well over 20yrs ea. I have this one & a bench top model as well.

Thank you. Looks quite similar to the Delta, although I did not detect and oil cup.

Cheers,
Richard

Plate plinker
03-01-2018, 10:49 PM
Nice drill presses! Those presses look solid.

Shopdog
03-02-2018, 08:31 AM
Nice W/T's NYFire.....they're what we use and build.Mobile 1here,give'm a squirt from time time.

W/T's,got a mint '46 radial with the enclosed base,32 speed.And a 49'ish 1200,power downfeed.Former in machine shop,latter in cabinet shop.They pay their way pert near on a daily basis.I love it when folks start blabbering about parts availability.The two above haven't needed any?

smokeywolf
03-02-2018, 05:51 PM
I had a 4 head Walker Turner gang press in the old MGM Machine Shop; 1930s or maybe '40s I suspect. For a lot of stuff, I liked them better than the newer variable speed Powermatics.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-02-2018, 07:29 PM
I don't know that brand of drill, but I expect the top of the spindle is centre drilled. Check whether a needle or small drill will go down a small diameter central hole. It could be that oil is meant to go out there, and leak out of a very small transverse hole at the top of, or even covered by, the bearing bushing.

NyFirefighter357
03-02-2018, 08:14 PM
The one in the picture needs a start/run capacitor something like 371MFD. Everything else is original, even the belt on this one says Walker Turner.

NyFirefighter357
03-02-2018, 09:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/kLFjPac.jpg

Ballistics in Scotland
03-03-2018, 12:05 PM
NYfirefighter's drill has the sort of thing I meant, but an oil cup and perhaps a reservoir which RG1911's doesn't, and quite possibly doesn't need. If it has sintered bronze bearings such as oilite, it will need very little oil.

It is amazing just how good some of these old tools can be, and I think a lot of so-called improvements are just production economies and hype. It isn't long since I saw a British engineering firm boss on TV, showing the plaque on his smallish overhead gantry crane, showing that it was made by Mr. Royce before he thought "I can make a car that will never break down". We have had motors perfectly good for electric cars for a hundred years, but it has taken us that long to solve the control and (they say) the battery problem.

NyFirefighter357
03-06-2018, 10:28 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Z3gNXtL.jpg

RG1911
03-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Good-looking Walker Turner. Obviously still being used.
Plastic? Planned obsolescence? Unnecessary "improvements?"
Sorry. No capisce.

Wagnerwerks
03-07-2018, 03:56 PM
I have the same Delta drill press with a mortising attachment. The bearing in the head is not sealed and is nla. Make sure you keep oiling and amsoil is a great recommendation.

RG1911
03-07-2018, 04:59 PM
I have the same Delta drill press with a mortising attachment. The bearing in the head is not sealed and is nla. Make sure you keep oiling and amsoil is a great recommendation.

NLA?
And where should I add the Amsoil?

Thank you,
Richard

Wagnerwerks
03-07-2018, 06:26 PM
Nla=no longer available. They are an odd bird. When the manual says oil the spindle, it means the top center section that goes up and down with the chuck.
When I purchased mine, I fully disassembled mine and cleaned the bearings. I then used amsoil grease on it.

Jeff Michel
03-07-2018, 07:16 PM
The bearings in the spindle aren't sealed, they will have metal shields. I have two, I will periodically wipe the spindle (the part that lowers the drill chuck, it has a rack cut into the back side.) with an oily rag and using a syringe, squirt oil around the shaft (the part that holds the chuck). The bearings were lubed when the machine was manufactured but after 50 years they start showing their age. I can probably get the bearing number for you if you need to replace them. If they aren't screaming and clattering I wouldn't bother. Naturally the bearings are proprietary , I got mine from Timkin and yes, they were expensive. They are pretty good light duty machines, much better than current offering.

RG1911
03-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Nla=no longer available. They are an odd bird. When the manual says oil the spindle, it means the top center section that goes up and down with the chuck.
When I purchased mine, I fully disassembled mine and cleaned the bearings. I then used amsoil grease on it.

I am hopeful that I never have to try to replace the bearings. It looks like a difficult endeavor. Right now, no squealing from the bearings and no apparent wobble at the chuck, so I plan to leave the bearings right where they are.

You are, of course, more than welcome to drop by and help me whitewash that fence.

Cheers,
Richard

Wagnerwerks
03-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Lol. Just finished Tom sawyer with my kids tonight.

W.R.Buchanan
03-09-2018, 03:45 PM
When I said Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil" This is what I meant. see pic below.

Not just any old Amsoil, this stuff is special, it is red in color, and it works so well it is criminal.

Best way oil, spindle oil and compressor oil out there and it wasn't meant for any of those.

It just works!

If you use it in your compressor pump it will coat the inside of your tank and you won't get rust thru or any rust in the water you drain out. I have had 3 compressors and all had this oil in them and all are still running. Never any rust in the drain water. Never a rusted out tank.

You will have to go to a local Amsoil distributor to get the stuff and he will likely have to order it.

Accept no substitutes !!!

Randy

10-x
03-25-2018, 12:46 PM
Back in the late 60's my Dad bought two drill presses from the estate of the old plant carpenter. I worked for the Gentleman 1 summer, learned a lot. He was missing 3 fingers, cut of on table saw!!! Anyway one press xwas t bench top model Sears, no spindle bearings, just a machined bore, brass lined with take up screws. Fast forward to 2003, spindle wobbled so much about all it was good for was mixing paint!. Thought, I' ll just adjust it, nope ,slap worn out and no practile way to rebuild it. Hard to throw that away, did keep the old motor, dont make em like that any more.

RG1911
03-25-2018, 06:12 PM
When I said Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil" This is what I meant. see pic below.

Randy

Randy,

Thank you! Not sure if there's on in Laramie, but I'll do a search.

Cheers,
Richard