PDA

View Full Version : homemade vickerman die

castalott
11-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Has anyone ever attempted to make their own 'Vickerman' die? Has anyone ever modified a 'normal' seater assembly for this purpose? I don't want it for the accuracy but to fit on a progressive press and load the bullet at the top of the die. Thanks,

Dale

versifier
11-24-2005, 12:00 AM
What is a "Vickerman" die, please? :confused:

beagle
11-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Making a "vickerman" seater shouldn't be that hard. I'll point out that Gussy and crew sell them.

However, if you're like I am and like to tinker.....

I'd start off with a Lyman "M" die body and make a internal bushing for it with the appropriate diameter bounterbore. This bushing would have a concave bevel at the top so that the bullet base would slide in and if crimping were desired, a crimping shoulder in the bushing. The botton half would probably have to be pretty close fitted to the shoulder as well. A 4-40 setscrew would hold this bushing in the die (keep it from dropping out). The M die bullet seater could be used as is. Simply turn it to the diameter you needed or modify a top punch by threading for 10-32 and cutting the flange down. This would make a seating screw that would fit the bullet noses.

Some of us have gone a step farther and opened a seating punch to take the .260" shank of the TPs and installed a setscrew to lock them in. Then, you have a "custom" seater as long as you have a TP for the bullet you're seating.

For the final gig, a wire cut machine would ne nice to cut the "window" in the side as dies are hard.

But, it could be done.

Look on E-Bay. Some guy's been selling Lyman PA (Precision Alignment) dies on there cheap. One of these would be really easy to modify. Easier than starting from scratch.

Also, check the Herter's dies. They at one time, marketed a fairly close clone for the Vickerman seaters. I have one and a multitude of different size bushings and it don't work half bad.

Just some ideas....../beagle

James Wisner
11-24-2005, 02:48 AM
Ponsness Warren still makes a copy of the Vickerman seating die.
They call it a bullet seat die and make it as an extra for thier progressive rifle press, you can change the insert for the different caliber bullets. The cost is not bad.

Dad is lucky enough to have one each brand, we still use them from time to time.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

castalott
11-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks All! Good info.

Versifer....It is a bullet seating die with a window cut into the side and the bullet is pushed thru that window just as you seat it. I 'think' most use it for it's improved straight-line seating...that is it loads better ammo. I think I would like to build one with a bullet feed attached to it...then mount it on my progressive press. hmmmm.....

Herb in Pa
11-24-2005, 11:17 AM
RCBS aslo manufactures what they term a competetion seating die with a window, L E Wilson also manufactures straight line seating dies without the "window" for use in an arbor press.

wills
11-24-2005, 08:33 PM
What is a "Vickerman" die, please? :confused:

See the link to Gyssys' "Casting Stuff" at the bottom of the page.

versifier
11-25-2005, 01:23 AM
Thank you Castalot, Wills. Saw a picture of one once, didn't know what it was called. It really looks to be a pretty good idea. It seems like a natural for that modification to use on a progressive, too. :smile:
How does it compare as to the accuracy of the finished product versus, say, a Lee straight line seater die? I'm not talking benchrest microns, I just want to know if there's a noticable difference when using the two kinds of seaters.
This is what prompts the question: I know the Lee collet sizer/straight line seater combo shrunk groups by 30 per cent in my .308 and 40+ percent in my .22-250 when I went from conventional full-length sizing and seating years ago. I really have never experimented to see which - or both - die(s) were responsible for the improved accuracy. I figured it was a miraculous gift from the gods, and as they are generally a miserly lot indeed, I left it at that and was grateful. Now, I'm grateful and curious. Any thoughts guys?

castalott
11-27-2005, 11:18 AM
hi Versifier!

I need to quote Mark Twain here...." I was pleased to answer your question quickly. I said I didn't know."

I'm in the same boat....What does 'Versifier' mean?

Thanks, Dale