PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of Smith Model 48?

osteodoc08
02-28-2018, 09:54 PM
I’m a hand gunner at heart. Love my rifles but no trip to the range is complete without a decent wheelgun. Typically a Smith or Ruger.

Saw a nice 48-2 Smith at the local fun store and got me thinking, what would I do with this if I had it. Ammo more expensive than 22 and more than cheap 38 special loads by me. More than needed for most small game up close when a 22lr will suffice. Too loud to use without hearing protection compared to 22 for a random target of opportunity.

Perhaps you gents with more insight than me can figure out what purpose this would have to a pistolero.

shooting on a shoestring
02-28-2018, 10:06 PM
Well you pretty well summed up why 22 Magnum isn’t a hot seller.
GEORGOUS gun though!
My best guess is handloaders don’t have a use for it, but those that don’t might.
I have a couple of 22 Magnum handguns, Single Sixes. Anytime I need (want) to shoot a Single Six, I pass up my 22 Magnums for the 32 H&Rs. If I want to shoot a Smith in that general power range, I grab a Hand Ejector or Model 30 in 32 S&W.

Yep I’d look at a 48, but probably leave it for someone else to love.

jeepyj
02-28-2018, 10:12 PM
Only a thought but when the 48 was introduced, I wonder if mag ammo wasn't quite far out of range? It would make a good sidearm for a trapper. Just a couple of thoughts...

Earlwb
02-28-2018, 10:24 PM
The 22 Magnum has a greater range capability over the .22 LR. When you need to reach out that extra 50 yards. So basically you could reach out to 75 to 100 yards with it for small game like rabbits, etc. At close range it has a little more energy to the bullets when they hit something. Now granted pistols aren't all that great for such longer range shooting, but the recoil is mild though. Some people want that extra range edge when using one in the field.

But as already mentioned, it is quite a bit more loud with noise, the ammo is more expensive, and it can't normally be reloaded.

smkummer
02-28-2018, 10:27 PM
Too bad they don’t market 22 wrf as a bulk plinker for 22 WMR. Say $30 a brick.

Outpost75
03-01-2018, 12:14 AM
Great revolver to convert to center-fire and rechamber to .224 Harvey Kay-Chuk

I got a .22 LR K-22 cylinder and crane assy. I was going to do, but never got around to doing, if anybody really has the hots for it PM me.

dubber123
03-01-2018, 01:00 AM
If you don't have one that might be reason enough alone. It also wouldn't surprise me if it didn't outshoot the average K-22.
The price would have to be right, or as you note, other guns could fill its role easily.

Bigslug
03-01-2018, 02:16 AM
.22 Mag is a popular cartridge with some of my buddies who are into fox and coyote hunting, but most of them aren't into reloading or aren't nearly as into reloading as most of the novices here. Can't reload it; costs a lot; from what it sounds like, one type of ammo isn't likely to shoot even close to the same point of impact as the next; if you need more than a .22LR, you probably need A LOT more than a .22LR.

I see exactly ZERO appeal to it. There's a number of S&W 53's on GB at present in .22 Rem Jet that would fill that niche, and allow rolling your own. Alternatively, the straight-wall .32 family of rounds would fill that niche with guns a lot more modern and a lot less collectible.

texasnative46
03-01-2018, 02:45 AM
osteodoc08,

JUST 'CAUSE.
(Back in the day, .22MAG was fairly popular with coon-hunters to take down treed coons. = .22MAG shells were cheaper then.)

I prefer a .38SPL & 148 grain WC for that sized game & once had a LONG-barreled S&W.

yours, tex

Mr_Sheesh
03-01-2018, 04:09 AM
There is a reloading rig on the evil auction site for 22 LR and 22 Mag, actually; I am not sure if it's corrosive or not, but I've looked at it. Looks usable and probably would be cheaper than buying new 22 Mag ammo.

square butte
03-01-2018, 07:33 AM
I have a couple of boxes of 22 mag from the late 60's ( i think ) that are marked $3.25

Hickory
03-01-2018, 07:56 AM
You have a good candidate for a 32 magnum or 327 conversation.
A better game getter, and defense round.

buckwheatpaul
03-01-2018, 08:13 AM
I love my 48. It is wickedly accurate and the cost....well it is a specialty gun and for shooting coyotes and hogs, when shot in the head, are a great weapon. I dont recommend them as a target gun but it does serve a nitch for me....just my 2 cents worth.

murf205
03-01-2018, 08:46 AM
The 22 wrm Model 48 is just one of those itches that just has to be scratched. I did and it didn’t take long to move on. Mine would leave burnt
Powder under the ejector star after
the 2nd cylinder full, making closing the cylinder darned near impossible. Mine was a 4” gun and when I would tilt the muzzle up to drop the empties, the unburied powder rolled out of the barrel under the star. Velocity was not spectacular from the short barrel either so when I found a guy with a 6” 686 who had “the itch” I helped him scratch it.

redhawk0
03-01-2018, 09:18 AM
Too bad they don’t market 22 wrf as a bulk plinker for 22 WMR. Say $30 a brick.

Not exactly a brick..but you can by boxes of 200 rounds. I buy a lot of 22LR and 22WMR from these guys.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-wmr-ammo-c-203.aspx

redhawk

Petrol & Powder
03-01-2018, 09:40 AM
The .22 LR uses a heeled, externally lubricated bullet, the .22 WMR does not use a heeled bullet. That difference alone is a big reason for the 22 WMR's success. Then you factor in the greater velocity of the 22 WMR.
However, I agree with the OP; in a handgun, the benefits of the 22 WMR over the 22 LR begin to be overshadowed by the negatives (more noise, more cost, same bullet weight).

When we start getting into 22 WMR handgun territory - the 32 S&W Long and the 32 H&R mag begin to look really good.

I do think the 22 WMR has a place in a rifle but then we have the .22 Hornet in competition as well.

Wayne Dobbs
03-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Back in the day, S&W would retrofit a .22 LR cylinder to Model 48s. That made things a bit more useful.

Bazoo
03-01-2018, 10:36 AM
I've had a 22 mag rifle a marlin 925m, and I can use moms single six if I like with the magnum cylinder. I prefer the LR cylinder for sure in it. Its fun to shoot the magnum occasionally but, The increased cost and sound are not worth it to me. I use ear protection with the LR cylinder, but if I take a shot of opportunity without ear protection, It aint horrible.

smkummer
03-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Getting a little off track with rifle talk but I posted a couple of years back about my perfect woodchuck gun being my colt 22 WMR single shot rifle and 2 one shot kills. I have shot more 22 WMR out of that single shot rifle than the 2 colt peacemakers that have extra 22 mag. cylinders.

Ickisrulz
03-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Getting a little off track with rifle talk but I posted a couple of years back about my perfect woodchuck gun being my colt 22 WMR single shot rifle and 2 one shot kills. I have shot more 22 WMR out of that single shot rifle than the 2 colt peacemakers that have extra 22 mag. cylinders.

I have one of those Colt single shot 22 Magnum rifles (Colteer 1-22). I use it for on armadillos and pocket gophers tearing up my yard. Always one shot kills.

murf205
03-01-2018, 02:33 PM
I have one of those Colt single shot 22 Magnum rifles (Colteer 1-22). I use it for on armadillos and pocket gophers tearing up my yard. Always one shot kills.

I could never shoot one with my model 48 but to be sure, in a rifle, is is a whole 'nother round. My CZ 512m chronos a flat 2000 fps with federal 40 gr rounds and hits varmints hard. I've had some big coons take off when hit with a 22lr but the mag anchors them DRT.

Binky
03-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Back to the OP's original question: Why does the Model 48 exist? The answers is plain to see (by me anyway). Smith brought it out to fill an empty space in their lineup. And ,hopefully, make money. Probably didn't happen and that is why collectors put a premium on them now. They have no real practical advantage, as mentioned by most of the posters on this thread. I will add that I do own a couple of 22 mag. guns. A Marlin bolt gun (my primary bunny gun) and Ruger SS(old model). While I shoot a box or so a year out of the Marlin, it has been over 30 years since I fired the mag cylinder in the Ruger.

ShooterAZ
03-01-2018, 02:44 PM
I have an old model Single Six with both cylinders, and the 22 Mag cylinder is what stays in it. There is a substantial difference in how it performs on game. Having said that, I don't think I'd rush out and get another 22 Mag revolver even though 22 Mag ammo has become more available lately.(unless the price was right!)

NSB
03-01-2018, 03:22 PM
I like the .22mag. Yes, I can shoot a 38spl cheaper by reloading, but......I can carry a lot of rimfire ammo in my pocket without weighing myself down. It's dynamite on small game, foxes, coyotes, woodchucks, etc. It reaches out quite a bit further than the .22lr (if you're a good enough shot), and it's just plain fun to shoot. I have a lot of centerfire handguns but I always reach for a rimfire when I'm out cruising my property and don't expect to see anything in particular.

Green Frog
03-01-2018, 07:15 PM
You know, I don’t have as much problem seeing why the Model 48 did exist as I do understanding why S&W wasn’t able to sell more units of the Model 16! BTW, I currently have a K-22 cylinder like the one mentioned by Outpost75 being reworked to make a K-32. :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

curioushooter
03-01-2018, 07:51 PM
If it could be rechambered in 22 hornet, and the barrel lengthened to about 8", and the cylinder gap could be eliminated...wait I'm describing something different entirely.

wv109323
03-01-2018, 08:06 PM
I read where a SD/HD expert said the 22 mag double action pistol was overlooked for women. The 22 Mag offers a lot over the 22 LR but with manageable recoil for a petite woman.
Most small woman can not rack the slide of autos thus a revolver is the go weapon. A 38 Sec. sometimes is too much for a woman also. The expert observed that most women became proficient with the 22 Mag.

flint45
03-01-2018, 08:15 PM
I knew a guy years ago that uesd one to take cats up in a tree after his dogs chased it there. He worked all over chasen cougars, the four legged kind that is .

Drm50
03-01-2018, 09:28 PM
I come from handloading background and I guess I inherited from my old man a mental block
against 22 mags. This was only because we could load Hornets and Bees as cheap as 22 mag
ammo. I have had a lot of 22mags over the years but never bought one, always on trades. On
the 48 S&W I've had a few and they were up to K22 standards of accurracy. I don't own one now
and don't want one. I have 50+ S&Ws from k22 to m29s. I don't need a 22mg, I've had 53s too.
Don't need 22jet either. The 32/20 is a better field gun than either one. I have often wondered
about 16s, they could have sold a lot more than they made. The only reason I can think of is they
didn't want to risk getting in a higher tax bracket.

murf205
03-02-2018, 10:03 PM
I’m a hand gunner at heart. Love my rifles but no trip to the range is complete without a decent wheelgun. Typically a Smith or Ruger.

Saw a nice 48-2 Smith at the local fun store and got me thinking, what would I do with this if I had it. Ammo more expensive than 22 and more than cheap 38 special loads by me. More than needed for most small game up close when a 22lr will suffice. Too loud to use without hearing protection compared to 22 for a random target of opportunity.

Perhaps you gents with more insight than me can figure out what purpose this would have to a pistolero.

How long is the barrel on this little gem your looking at? I always thought that if my 48 had a 6" barrel it might have been able to burn the powder instead of leaving unburnt flakes under the ejector star. Personally, I like the idea of a bit more punch of the 22wrm vs the 22lr even if it is marginal. 22 mag ammo is very available now and Midsouth Shooters Supply had the Hornady 22 mag 30 gr on sale for about $9.75 a box and may still be there now at that price. If you can buy it for a reasonable price, you wont get "hung" with it. As I stated in my earlier post, I traded mine for a 6" 686, but I have a lot more patience than I do money. Kinda' sorta' wish I had mine back. It would have been a 6" gun now instead of a 4 incher. As we all know, when it comes to buying a new gun, it's not about need--not even close!!

osteodoc08
03-02-2018, 11:09 PM
6” but haven’t looked closely at it

Mr_Sheesh
03-03-2018, 01:08 AM
I've been debating, do I get something that shoots 22 Mag so I can use the empties for getting into swaging varminting boolits, or, just find a source for something else to use for jackets? Decisions, decisions LOL

murf205
03-03-2018, 01:51 PM
6” but haven’t looked closely at it

What's the asking price?

Mytmousemalibu
03-03-2018, 02:48 PM
You have a good candidate for a 32 magnum or 327 conversation.
A better game getter, and defense round.

I REALLY wish S&W would play ball and make a an Airweight snub J-Frame in .327 Fed Mag as a 6-hole'r. They make a steel 3" in .327 with the L-Comp type barrel port which I'd love to have but not to carry. An Airweight or Scandium snub... Shut up and take my money!

osteodoc08
03-03-2018, 07:27 PM
What's the asking price?

$700 or $750. Didn’t look closely. Not sure if it’s with box and docs or what. I just thought, oh, that’s neat, but was in a hurry and didn’t have a chance to look at it more closely.

beezapilot
03-04-2018, 05:40 PM
I picked up a 48 with the 8-3/8 barrel a while back in a trade- very nice to shoot (but I don't often, I'm a .32 S&W/H&R nutcase), but I'd not thought of contacting S&W to see about a .22 LR cylinder... I'll be picking up the phone tomorrow

square butte
03-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Last time i checked, they would not do it. That was several years ago. I hope they have changed that policy. I had a 648 fitted with and aux. 22 lr cylinder in 1996. That was a great deal. Let us know what they tell you.

beezapilot
03-05-2018, 06:13 PM
Customer service sounded a bit tired to be truthful, after chatting with the guy for a bit he became a bit more personable- indicated that they've been getting lots of calls from people wanting to talk gun control and / or being very rude on the phone. He said that they would no longer refit cylinders.

GhostHawk
03-05-2018, 10:32 PM
I have a Heritage Rough Rider switch cylinder in .22lr/.22mag.

For the first time in 19 years I took it to the range and put the .22mag cylinder in.

As a .22lr shooter it has been lackluster. Groups not that small, no adjustable sights, groups bigger than I like. Groups wander depending on ammo chosen. It was just hard to pin down.

As a .22mag none of that has been the case.

Shot to point of aim, exactly. Groups were half the size of the .22lr.
I had a good set of headphones on, never was aware of the noise.
What I was aware of was the soccer ball sized ball of fire on pulling the trigger.
And the movement of air back at my face from same ball of fire.

As it happens I have a pretty good stash of old .22mag loads that are available to be burned when the spirit moves me.

But I have to agree, I have more fun shooting the H&R 732 in .32sw long. .314 90 gr TC over 2 grains of Red Dot. Cheap to make, fun to cast and reload for, and a blast to shoot.

Little pop, and there is a hole pretty close to where I was pointing.

The little H&R's have short barrels. I can see me investing in something with a 6" barrel that is chambered for .32 H&R mag or .327 Fed Mag. Even though I would mostly shoot the .32sw longs.

Those are just a joy to shoot.

Three44s
03-08-2018, 11:34 AM
The 22 Mag is a lot better killer than .22 lr in either a rifle or a handgun. I own two 48’s, one a six inches, the other wears an 8 3/8” tube.

I handload and cast plenty of CF arms but still find uses for the .22 Mag.

I would like to have found a 648 but they seem to be scarce as hen’s teeth! Been toying with buying the Charter Arms 4” with adj. sights in stainless.

These are not guns to go plinking with, never were. They are for business. As a rancher I prefer the .22 Mag for putting down horses and cattle that need it and any other job where I want less noise but effective external ballistics. I first was drawn to the cartridge in a handgun because we started having cougar problems and were using houndsmen.

I have several hornet lead flippers too, they take lots of futzing around with. When ranch business calls the futzing around goes out the window and I want results.

Best regards

Three44s

Char-Gar
03-08-2018, 03:14 PM
A 22 Mag handgun will give the basic performance of a 22 LR in a rifle. Maybe that is useful to you and maybe not.

square butte
03-08-2018, 03:18 PM
I like the Federal .22 mag - 50 gr game points

Three44s
03-09-2018, 10:52 AM
A 22 Mag handgun will give the basic performance of a 22 LR in a rifle. Maybe that is useful to you and maybe not.

A six in. or longer tube in a revolver kills somewhat better in the 22 Mag than a traditional HP in High Vel 22 or in a rifle.

Not by leaps and bounds but enough that the field results are visceral. It comes back to better bullet construction in the magnum cartridge.

The biggest draw back I find with the rimfire magnum is that each gun with respect to accuracy, be it long or short barreled tends to not favor the same ammo. If you have more than one 22 Mag you find that one likes this and the next likes that. Both of my Smiths like the Winchester 40 HP and so does my Marlin SSV rifle. I am lucky there because I like that slug on delivery.

I have tried the super high velocity light weight hp loads and they certainly kill small varmints with big cavitation but the accuracy results are not up to par. In a rifle I could not justify shots on ground squirrels past 65 yds while standard loads like the Winchester 40 gr hp constantly hammers diggers to a 100 and more.

My six in. Model 48 Smith I have no trouble with diggers at past 60 yds. ....... that is before my eye balls fell off a cliff.

My mod 48 six incher is super mint so drilling and tapping is out of the question. My 8 3/8” mod 48 .... not so minty. Maybe I should talk to a gunsmith on that one?

In Contender I have a 22 Mag 10” and that one wears a scope. But since I found a MGM K Hornet ..... it steals the show lately.

Three44s

Drm50
03-09-2018, 12:47 PM
I have a few dozen S&W revolvers from 22lr to 45colt and just about everything in between. The
48 is the most accurate 22mg I have shot. I have owned several of them as well as Ruger & Colt
SAs with extra cylinders. I don't keep them as I have no real use for 22 mg. in a handgun or rifle.
For a guy who needs a little more than a 22lr for some purpose and doesn't load or have other
CF guns that will fill the need a 22mg will do it. A S&W 48 is never going to be worth any less and
the price on older S&Ws just keep going up. You can't loose if you buy right , if you don't like it
you can at least break even.