PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 results

jonk
09-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Just thought I'd share- I found a load my 336 in 35 Remington likes that is pretty potent. Looking at an older load manual from Hornady, I found a listing for a 200 grain jacketed bullet and BLC2 powder. Their max was 38.5 gr with the 200 grain bullet, moving at around 2000 fps. Hmm.

I had some 200 grain RCBS cast slugs a fellow board member generously gave me. I loaded some over 35 grains of WC846, a milsurp equivelant of BLC2- which the manual suggested would move around 1700 fps.

I also had some 158 gr semi wadcutter gas checks from a Lee mold I cast myself, lubed with 50/50. I loaded these over 37.5 gr of the 846.

Just for reference, this is about the same charge I use in my .30 cal military guns- for instance 36 gr in a 7.5X55. So for the smaller case capacity that's pretty potent I think.

The 200 grainers did better, but the 158s were very close behind. 15 of each bullet were fired; about 8 of the 200 grainers were touching, the rest strung vertically- which I attribute mainly to my lack of weighing powder charges and a Lee dispenser that dribbles a lot with ball powders.

These were potent loads, had minimal leading (it wiped out with a patch, no brush was needed) and shot pretty tight groups. They'd do better yet I think with better sights; the issue sights on the gun are pretty miserable and I might go for a tang peep from Marbles or similar.

Now to use a chronograph. And hand weigh charges.