PDA

View Full Version : 22 Long ammo

Maineboy
02-28-2018, 03:15 AM
A few years ago, when my step father moved from his house into an apartment, I inherited his guns and gear. Among it all was an assortment of 22 ammo from Winchester and Remington that I just tucked away with my own stash. The other day I got to looking at it and saw that all the Remington stuff was in 22 Long. Does anyone make that caliber anymore? I rarely see Shorts nowadays and I can't remember when the last time I have seen Longs for sale anywhere. When I was a kid, ammo was sold in a lot of local stores and they all seemed to carry Shorts and Longs in addition to the most popular Long Rifle. I'll probably shoot these ones up in an old Stevens single shot marked 22 S,L,LR and an H&R Sportsman he gave me.

Mytmousemalibu
02-28-2018, 04:10 AM
CCI still loads all lengths of .22 rimfire actually. Just bought some shorts & longs in 100rd sleeves the other day. I really like plinking with .22 shorts in my leverguns and for the most part anything but long rifle was non-existent in the difficult times of the rimfire ammo shortage. I make it a point to buy some of the sub-long rifle ammo when I find it for a fair price. A levergun with 22rds of 22 Short is too much fun!

uscra112
02-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Yah, shoot it up, unless it's real old and in collectable boxes. If the single shot rifle happens to be one of the weaker "boys' rifles" of the WW1 era, it's just the right stuff. None of those should ever be subjected to modern high velocity LR ammo.

jdfoxinc
02-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Sportsmans Warehouse carries both. Winchester brand long. SCI short.

WebMonkey
02-28-2018, 11:01 AM
cci cb long are a favorite of one of my daughters for squirrel hunting.

Drm50
02-28-2018, 01:20 PM
I have an old Ruger Single-6 that loves longs. It's got the fixed sights and Rem Longs print right
with the sights. Even as a kid we never bought longs. We hunted with LRs and plinked with Shorts.
Shorts were about .25 a box and LRs .40, longs were somewhere in between.

Biggin
02-28-2018, 01:47 PM
I haven't seen any longs but cci 22 shorts have been showing up at our Wal-Mart. I try so stock up on them when I can. I use them for varmint control. Draws less attention here in town.

Scorpion8
02-28-2018, 02:06 PM
I actually found some Remington Golden Bullet 22 Short, and snapped up a bunch of that. Yea, the CCI Longs are also good stuff. I like to mix and match them in my older rifles that shoot all three types just for fun, and to make sure they cycle well. Anybody can shoot stuff with a 22 LR. Being good with 22 Shorts is more of a challenge.

Binky
02-28-2018, 02:59 PM
I recently came into some longs (CCI) and have an old Sat.Nite Special that shoots shorts only so I always try to have a box or two on hand. Now for the ramble part: I once owned a Marlin Model 56(my first gun-I was 12) It was supposed to shoot S/L/LR. LRs stuck in the chamber and had to be dug out with my trusty Imperial pocket knife. It would shoot Longs great. (I suspect the gun had a poorly finished chamber and the LRs conformed to the defects but the longs being lower pressure worked just fine) So for the years I owned it, I shot longs.

Clark
04-05-2018, 08:50 PM
There are 100 places to get 22 long ammo:
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/22-long

There was no place 2 years ago.

04-06-2018, 01:34 PM
I have a Winchester 1890 22 Long and buy long ammo when ever I find it. I seems like real hunting loads are a thing of the past, I dislike round nose ammo for hunting. Most sales people never heard of 22 longs and they always try to sell me LR when I ask for it.

Hanshi
04-06-2018, 02:02 PM
As a kid I shot lots of short and longs and they were cheaper than LRs. My rifle was a remington 514 single shot but also had a very old Winchester single with the pull-to-cock knob on the rear of the bolt. Took squirrels and possum with both.

smkummer
04-07-2018, 09:28 AM
Currently only CCI loads a high velocity 22 long. And of course the CB 22 long low velocity. Rem. Win., and Fed. Used to load a high velocity long that was about 75 FPS faster than the current CCI. The current CCI hv long is only a tad faster than high velocity 22 short.

Larry in MT
04-08-2018, 09:38 AM
I buy the CCI CB longs now and then --- fun little loading. The old Long was the Long Rifle case with the Short bullet -- it was loaded to a lower velocity than Long Rifle ammo, even in hunting loads, which I never understood. They weren't accurate in any of my rifles.

trapper9260
04-08-2018, 09:57 AM
I see them in the stores now and other 22's .I am wait to see how low the price will go on a brick before I get any. So far Wal mart have the lowest for the brick I use. Just over $21 . That is what I paid before what had happened in the past. It is other wise about $25 to $26 a brick.I use them on the trap line.